SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill start today with these. This was my new s80s first detail so a shoot was in order.

Enjoy

Constructive criticism encouraged.

·
Super Moderator
15,173 Posts
Nice shots! Your exposure and aperture seem spot on, my only critique would be the general composition. You have some nice backgrounds, but focus on the rule of 3rds. The centered shots looking down the road are great, but with the whole car in frame, try to have more space leading in the front of the car than behind. It suggests the idea that you can see where the car is going, rather than catching a glimpse of where it has been.

In the last picture, for example, it feels rather heavy on the lower right corner of the image, with so much light sky in the top left.
Even just cropping it down helps with the balance of it all.

My only other critique would be with the first picture, your distance from the car is a little awkward and you start to sense the curvature of the camera's lens.
Comparing the first two pictures, the first almost appears bubbled while the second shows off the lines of the car. The curve effect can be great when used properly, but make it bold. In your shot looking over the shoulder of the car, the effect works great as the distorted car gives a sense of speed and motion. But when framing the entire car, I always try to zoom in as far as I can, then step back until I have the car fully in frame. It appears you may have done that with your second image.

Also, never be afraid to do some post production cropping and rotating to get the picture you want. I partially discourage color and exposure editing in photoshop, merely because the best colors that you'll get are straight from the camera, but a little touch up never hurts. I always find myself tweaking contrast a little, as computer screen in a dark room will always give a different appearance than a camera screen preview on a bright day.

Just my constructive criticism! Everyone is open to their opinion and photographic style. I would actually suggest finding some car pictures online that you really like, then trying to duplicate those with your own car. That'll really give you a good idea of what the photographer was doing to get the shot. When we do photoshoots for some of our friends, we'll be climbing up on roof racks and rafters, or laying flat on the ground to get the perfect angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your thoughts. Most of these were shot with my 35mm 1.8 but that first one with the bubbling was shot with my 18-70. Giving it that distorted feel. Usually the lense doesn't show that much distortion. But when you put the 2 lenses side by side you can certianly see the difference

As far as that last one. I feel the weighted right side but I hated the other 10 shots I have from that angle. This one just felt better. Perhaps the background to the right was just ehh.

For post processing everything gets a little attention before posting. I agree the camera collects the best and honestly if the data isn't there is the shot. Post processing it won't bring it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts