SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
How did the top swap go? Can you elaborate on the procedure for removing/replacing the whole assembly and if you needed to do any re-calibration due to the swap?
So after the swap, the top still didn’t work 100%. And shortly thereafter, about 2k miles later the head gasket blew lol. I would very highly recommend having a second set of hands help you drop in a new assembly because it’s very heavy.

If you do take on this endeavor I would make sure that once you remove the top you clean the drain plugs that sit underneath the top. I’d try to clean them in the car cause once they’re out they’re really difficult to get back in as theres almost no space. Otherwise, tear it up it’s pretty straight forward. Take pics, label bolts as you remove them and put them in zip lock bags as you go along if it’ll help. You’ll have to disconnect the wiring harness and lift the rear deck lid manually to access everything.

I didn’t have VIDAS at the time I did this and I had less experience in general. It’s a must to do the calibration properly with VIDAS. There’s quite a few micro switches involved throughout the top on the hinges and elsewhere.

But like I just posted, if you’re in the hole on that C70, or it’s something random and worth it like a saffron T5M, I would invest in another working C70 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
So after the swap, the top still didn’t work 100%. And shortly thereafter, about 2k miles later the head gasket blew lol. I would very highly recommend having a second set of hands help you drop in a new assembly because it’s very heavy.

If you do take on this endeavor I would make sure that once you remove the top you clean the drain plugs that sit underneath the top. I’d try to clean them in the car cause once they’re out they’re really difficult to get back in as theres almost no space. Otherwise, tear it up it’s pretty straight forward. Take pics, label bolts as you remove them and put them in zip lock bags as you go along if it’ll help. You’ll have to disconnect the wiring harness and lift the rear deck lid manually to access everything.

I didn’t have VIDAS at the time I did this and I had less experience in general. It’s a must to do the calibration properly with VIDAS. There’s quite a few micro switches involved throughout the top on the hinges and elsewhere.

But like I just posted, if you’re in the hole on that C70, or it’s something random and worth it like a saffron T5M, I would invest in another working C70 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bummer .. yeah the c70 is good, I just happen to have a parts c70 now with a pretty much perfect top, and the top of our window has been reglued once already, so whether or not I install it right away I am hanging onto this nice top ... I have the VM loaded version of VIDA, I will have to look and see if the calibration is available on there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not to be a scavenger lol are you getting rid of any parts have a hardtop coupe I'm fixing up/ daily till I buy another soon. Good luck on the c70!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not to be a scavenger lol are you getting rid of any parts have a hardtop coupe I'm fixing up/ daily till I buy another soon. Good luck on the c70!
pm me with needs/wants

41 - 44 of 44 Posts