SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, I've got a few posts here and there.

I recently came across this 2000 C70 LPT on Craigslist a few days ago. Scored this sucker for $580.00 with only 77k original miles. The catch? A rebuilt title and the car has been sitting for a very long time. The car had undercarriage damage on the passenger side. The paint isn't completely atrocious, but it's been beat to hell pretty bad by the sun here in Miami. The top is destroyed, as well as certain interior/exterior components. It appears that a lot of the rear seat trim pieces, like the arm rest panels, weren't taken out/reinstalled properly so they were complete junk. I did find out that the car came with a dynaudio setup too, which is pretty neat.

Water is also able to get into the top container (underneath the interior colored shelf when the top is down) because it seems that whatever gasketing used to be there disintegrated. Drain holes may also be plugged since the water barely drains.

Aside from the destroyed components due to age and just sitting, the engine runs like a top and pulls decent. Need to complete a full stage zero and finish inspecting.

The plans for this hooptie are to bring it up to spec cosmetically on the interior and exterior and completing any necessary maintenance items along the way. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Subscribed! I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I'm glad to see someone saving one that would've probably gone to the scrapyard otherwise.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
. Today was definitely a long one. I stripped out the interior, except for the dash. I brought out the shop vac and got rid of all the water inside and disinfected the cabin. Most of the interior components I tossed in the trash like the carpeting, thin sound feasting mats for the back seats, old pins, broken plastics. (Unfortunately my documenting skills are a bit lackluster, so you'll have to use a bit of imagination lol.)

Luckily I found a 2004 C70 LPT in a yard up in West Palm Beach. Was about an hour drive but definitely worth it. I scooped a new trunk lid, rear tail lights with the little plastic trim pieces underneath, new rear door panels, ROPS covers, misc. trim, a functional passenger window regulator, new deck lid, A pillar trim, sun visors + trim, etc.

IT was quite a haul, and I somehow managed to fit it all into my project '98 S70 (have yet to make a thread on it, soon.) I also removed the duct tape that the previous owner layered the whole top with for no reason, so now I'm left with a white adhesive film across the whole top :/ not that big a deal though cause I'm planning on replacing it anyways.

I also found the aftermath of the undercarriage damage. As you can tell, the metal was wrinkled but smoothed out a bit by whoever did the bodywork previous. There was a little bit of surface rust, so I went in there and ground it down to bare metal, beat it with a hammer, prepped the metal, and threw a coat of rust converter/primer on it? I forgot the name now but it was Rustoleum.
Pretty? No.
Functional? Yes.
Am I horrible at taking before and afters? Also yes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Construction underway. More gutting and replacing.

Also popped out the four drain plugs for the top holder. These things were gross as hell. After a good scrub, they're mint so far. Onward ⚔

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got to replacing the driver door this morning, along with the micro switches located under the deck lid. The previous door was all hacked up and chopped on the inside. Both the switches in the back were toast and cracked. The whole door assy. and switches were $83 bucks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Awesome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While you are digging deep into the Convertible compartment - how do you get access to the front drains? The back drains are easy - the fronts I was thinking of reaming out from below if I could find the outlet hoses.

I too have my interior stripped out as the heater core leaked from the previous owner radiator fluid had soaked the carpet and liner.

I replaced my C70 seats with seats and seat wiring harness plugs from a 2006 S40. They are same width, a little taller. Passenger seat does flip forward even from the sedan, driver seat does not. Had some wide flat steel seat adapter plates fabricated for $80, they bolt right onto the C70 chassis seat mounts and new seats can be mounted onto these plates. The new seats are great (and cost me $90 for the pair) and the airbags will work. My metal shop has my adapter plate design on file should I ever need another set fabricated. Next little project is mapping the seat wiring to hook up the electrical harness and have these actually work.

I too have my interior stripped out as the heater core leaked from the previous owner radiator fluid had soaked the carpet and liner.

Really nice to have a parts car. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the front drain plugs, you can gain access to them from the interior of the quarter panel. You should see a small square-ish opening next to the window regulator. There's a white plug and black hose that leads right up to the plug. I ended up disconnecting it and pushing from the bottom till it popped out.

The pain in the ass is going to be reinstalling them. I was able to get the rears seated properly, but there's literally almost no room to maneuver the fronts.

What I did was position them properly, push in as hard as I could and then pull it from underneath. It worked on my driver side but not my passenger side. I ended up taking a little bit of silicone and smoothing it around the edge of the seal. Problem solved.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sucks that your heater core blew :/ S40 seats are really comfortable, a 2005 was my first car. I'm thinking of swapping in the seats from my '99 S70 M56 donor. The ones in the C70 right now aren't horrible, but the driver seat has some pretty nasty tears. They're mint and should be a direct swap I think

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This morning I'm working on trying to figure out why the car has an intermittent starting problem. Once jumped to life, it'll start up a few more times for a short period of time, then start up slower, till it's just dead. All through out, the battery holds steady at 12.35v. I'm not sure if the starter is possible causing this intermittent issue, or maybe the alternator is wearing out. When I do turn it on, and it fires, the lights on the dash are dim, and then a second later they go to full brightness like they're suppose to. Weird.

I saw that the positive cable connected to the main fuse box was toast. Almost a quarter of the wires were deteriorated. So I took the end of the cable that was bad, swapped it out, good as new. But the problem persists.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
This morning I'm working on trying to figure out why the car has an intermittent starting problem. Once jumped to life, it'll start up a few more times for a short period of time, then start up slower, till it's just dead. All through out, the battery holds steady at 12.35v. I'm not sure if the starter is possible causing this intermittent issue, or maybe the alternator is wearing out. When I do turn it on, and it fires, the lights on the dash are dim, and then a second later they go to full brightness like they're suppose to. Weird.

I saw that the positive cable connected to the main fuse box was toast. Almost a quarter of the wires were deteriorated. So I took the end of the cable that was bad, swapped it out, good as new. But the problem persists.
Power is only half the equation. Check all your grounds they're notorious for being prone to getting heavily corroded.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna check all the grounds now, including the wires between the alternator, starter, and the battery.

I scored big this weekend. I saw this C70 show up in the yard that got into a front end accident with the top down. Instead of bringing the top up, they wrapped the car to seal the interior.
So I went to the yard, popped open the deck lid, and behold. The top was brand spanking new. All the seals around the top, the glass, canvas, headliner, etc. was brand new. There isn't a spec of rust on a single bolt.

And the cherry on top? I scored the entire assembly for

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Did you take that jewel/corner? Also did you check the motor to see if it had blue injectors? If it's a "62" vin it has the legendary b5234t9 engine

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't take that jewel, as tempting as it was. It was rough in person and the driver side corner was smashed. I went in to the yard with limited time, and I had no idea I was going to end up taking the whole top assembly. I briefly looked over the car. Had to NASCAR my way down I-95 with that thing stuffed in my S70 so I could get to work on time lol.

I will be going back though this Monday to check it out again for other pieces like the steering wheel. I also need to pick up some manual shift cables for my project S70. If it does have the 16t and blue injectors, i may snag em for this car for a later date. Still need to finish a list of unknown maintenance the car needs before any kind of tuning can be done.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I need a new top! For $55, I might even forgo the tan into a black top.
Oh well, the glue I used is holding the window in for now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp, talk about a ****ty day. On my way to the yard, I hit a massive pot hole going 80 mph. My driver side tire flew off and ripped off the lugs. Luckily, my tire didn't hit anybody, and I was able to slide across the highway to the right shoulder immediately.

Somehow, there was no substantial damage. The only thing that happened was the the fender liner ripped and the fender crunched. The door, and door sill were unscathed as well as the rad and everything else. My rotor didn't flat spot since I hit the gas instead of the breaks. I picked up my wheel from about a half mile out. So she's back on the road, now on the hunt for a fender when it shows up (any day now.) I'm not too bummed about this as I already had plans to get the car resprayed in October.

In better news, I took this off the C70 when I finally got to it this afternoon. Also snagged some interior plastics, the new fender liner and bumper bracket (fender was crushed in the yard), and the hood control unit that connects to the top. It also it wasn't a B5234T9 sadly :/

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Somehow the window on this top, as destroyed as it is, is still in pretty good condition. No leaks so far. Hopefully it stays that way till I swap the whole top this week. @wtyrrel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those seats look mint, hope they are a direct fit. You got the deal of the century on that $55 top, damn!

I had to pull out the coolant drenched foam liner under the carpet, there was no good way to rinse out that foam. I just cut it out and have good material to splice back in. Seats in next, looking forward to getting back on the road.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've lived with gluing mine back in 4 times now, I think. (trying different glues.)
Rubber cement worked decently of simple, easy to find glues; then it gave up at ~ a year.
Gorilla glue and construction adhesive didn't do much.
Then I followed the directions from a guy re-gluing his mini's on youtube; used 3M glass adhesive (made for gluing in windows to the frame.)
It's held for 1.5 years now. Not exactly fun to work with, and it doesn't look terrific. I think I spent > $55 on the suction cups braces and the glue, lol.
As for leaks: I've seen a few times in between new glues it'd leak a little onto the toneau cover, but never got to anything else; filtered down on the seams into the top area where it went to the drains.
I've always kept it in the garage, so never a big problem. Occasionally the passenger window will leak - have to roll it down a little then back up. Pretty sure it's been worked on (but not while I owned it.)
I did the driver side, and it doesn't leak.

We have the same interior. I needed a couple of the push-pins for the doors, so I went to my local Volvo dealer to order them. (These cars are pretty rare in junkyards here in KC.)
He ran the VIN and said I had 'this' color (don't remember the name.) Got it, took one look and went: that's not right.
He came outside and went: huh...
Digging around some more and he eventually found them.
They redesigned the pins, I don't like the new ones as much.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts