SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i got my car 4 years ago i have been driving it with something that appears to be uneven light output from driver side headlight. I have tried switching ballasts and light bulbs and what not and the driver side low beam light is much much dimmer than the passenger side. there is probably about 50% difference in light output between the two

Anyone knows why? and what could be wrong with it. BTW car came with factory halogens and i installed Sharp HID kit on it with bulb failure delete resistor.

These are two different pictures with swapped ballast and bulb.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
That is normal according to DOT regulations to not blind oncoming vehicles. Look up rules for left hand drive vehicles. This is suppose to happen in all cars

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, my factory fitted lights have the same output between both lights.

He is probably talking about the brightness. The left light is more yellowy than the right (white/blue).

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Yeah, the color looks different. Are the bulbs different ages? Xenon bulbs change color some as they age so I wonder if one is newer?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The other thing to check is proper grounding. Do a voltage drop test on the ground lead to the headlamp assembly. I'm not sure where the wire bundle is grounded to the chassis offhand but look around the engine compartment a bit. Clean real good when you find them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other thing to check is proper grounding. Do a voltage drop test on the ground lead to the headlamp assembly. I'm not sure where the wire bundle is grounded to the chassis offhand but look around the engine compartment a bit. Clean real good when you find them.
yes they are the same age and i changed them with my friends light bulbs and its still the same. How do i locate the ground, should it be around the headlight? or is it one of the main grounds on the shock tower?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
How do i locate the ground, should it be around the headlight? or is it one of the main grounds on the shock tower?
Not sure, but the shock tower could be the closest point. How about this, unplug the factory harness & run jumper leads straight from the battery to power the low beams. That should indicate whether it's at the headlamp itself or to investigate the harness further.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I noticed the same thing to my headlights. Driver side turning yellowish.
Have you found a solution to this problem?

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
I'm also kind of curious, as my passenger side headlight is now a tad yellower. It's not really noticeable, but I can tell if I park up to a white wall.

·
Registered
315 Posts
HID bulbs change color over time (salts accumulate in the bulb, you can see them in the middle of the bulb as soon as the first time they ignite). You also need to make sure your bulbs are seated properly in the fixture for illumination and color. I just installed new bulbs in my '05, big difference in light output and color.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is not the bulbs or ballast. I changed the bulbs 2 months ago, both sides. Both had equal output until recently when the driver side started to turn yellow and would flicker occasionally.
I swapped the driver side ballast and bulb with the passenger side, and still the driver side is significantly dimmer.
I would assume it is the car not providing equal output to the headlights. So I am wondering if anyone with a similar issue found a fix to this?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is not the bulbs or ballast. I changed the bulbs 2 months ago, both sides. Both had equal output until recently when the driver side started to turn yellow and would flicker occasionally.
I swapped the driver side ballast and bulb with the passenger side, and still the driver side is significantly dimmer.
I would assume it is the car not providing equal output to the headlights. So I am wondering if anyone with a similar issue found a fix to this?
Nope i tried cleaning the grounds on shock tower and nothing changed, they were corrosion free to begin with anyway

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered the brand new 55W kit from SharpHID, lets see if that does anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts