SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is about time to change my battery on the s60 and I am looking to upgrade it, but so far Optima, Die Hard (Sears), and Kirkland Signature (Costco) don't offer anything. I have a 2002 s60 base model. Any one have any recommendations?

·
Registered
584 Posts
the original OEM battery is the best... don't go with those.. there is no point in trying to "upgrade" the battery sits in the trunk, so there are no problems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (myVolvoS60T5)

OEM batteries are probably the worst batteries available. Optima is the best, followed by Sears' Die-Hard. Both lines will blow OEM "cold-cranking amps" out of the water. Not to mention the warranties are excellent. <p>Die-Hard has a line called the International that is for most European cars. They should have something. If not, you can get the International that is closest in size and do some slight modification to the battery tray in the trunk and it will work nicely. I used to work at a Sears and I could have sworn that I have installed them into Volvos, though I could be wrong. <p>Let me know how you make out. L8R<p>M19U3L

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MSenra83)

I've also had good luck with Enterprise batteries.<br>Optima Gel battery (Red top) is by far the best and will last the longest but you WILL pay for it, at least $130

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you compare the "Cranking Amps" and "Cold Cranking Amps" of an OEM battery to that of an Optima or even a Die-Hard, the OEM doesn't even come close....Not to mention the warranty. I would assume that the OEM battery is pretty expensive as well. (correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
47 Posts
How do you know which of the Red Tops to buy? There are several "models" and no configurator. At least not at batteryweb (dot com).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (jrusso2005)

Thanks everyone for the info, really appreciate it...I am gonna try the Die Hard International first. I got a red top from costco for $110, but the terminals wouldn't line up...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Battery (DLYBLWN)

We got 5 1/2 years of life on my wife's OEM S80 battery, and my S60 is now five years old and still going strong. (Of course, we're in a very benign environment where the coldest it gets is 40 F, so we don't have to worry about CCA)<p>Don't forget to follow the owner's manual for how to change out the battery.<p>Best of luck.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (DLYBLWN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>DLYBLWN</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks everyone for the info, really appreciate it...I am gonna try the Die Hard International first. I got a red top from costco for $110, but the terminals wouldn't line up...</TD></TR></TABLE><br>That's the only problem with Optimas, they're smaller in size and even if the terminals are in the same place, with <B>some cars</B> you have to make longer connectors but they really are a great battery

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (myVolvoS60T5)

Yes. The more cranking amps, the more "juice" the battery has. I'm in New England, so the "Cold Cranking Amps" (CCA) are more important to me than the "Cranking Amps"(CA). <p>The boost that you get would probably come into play when you're trying to crank over the car, more cranking amps=less strain on battery's capacity, also once you alternator has maxed out, the battery comes into play and you want to be sure that you have enough power for the acc. that the alternator can not supply at that moment.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: (jrusso2005)

Try <A HREF="http://www.autobatteries.com/selector/index.asp" TARGET="_blank">http://www.autobatteries.com/selector/index.asp</A> or <A HREF="http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/battery_search/battery_search.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.optimabatteries.com....html</A><p>I *think* that you need a "group 48" for the S60. They are available on DieHard International.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts