SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the NOCO battery tender Genius 5 with no issues using the alligator clips. With a dual battery, I know Volvo wants us to not use the direct connection to the battery to charge or maintain. Whether they recommend using the posts in the engine bay. That is what I have been doing without avail but I would like a more secure and gracefully way of tending my batteries.

My question is can I use one of the connection posts to attache an M5 eyelet cable near the start-stop battery and use the ground post as well for the extension?

I'm using both of these products for my car:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWQ35Y/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8KJH44/

·
Registered
333 Posts
What if you added posts to the rear battery and put the connector in the trunk?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
My question is can I use one of the connection posts to attache an M5 eyelet cable near the start-stop battery and use the ground post as well for the extension?
Yes, there have been a few members here who have done this. Just do a search of the threads and you'll see it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone use a battery tender with the adapter plugged into a 12 volt accessory plug (cigarette lighter)? If so, does it keep both batteries topped off?

I use this connection with a CTEK battery charger/maintainer on one of my other cars to keep the battery topped off when it sits for a while. I'd love to be able to do this with the Volvo when it gets rotated out of use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if you added posts to the rear battery and put the connector in the trunk?
Volvo doesn't recommend this for some reason. Also, I would like to avoid using the truck.

Yes, there have been a few members here who have done this. Just do a search of the threads and you'll see it.
Yes, I know. I seem to not be able to find those posts. Got a link?

·
Registered
13,180 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks!

Does anyone know of any issues with disconnecting the main & aux batterie for the install fo the leads?
All you need to do first is disconnect the main battery.
To do this just unlock the car, open the tailgate, then place the key more than 10 feet away and wait about 15 minutes.
You are now safe to disconnect the ground terminal of the main battery. Be aware even after loosening the nut they can seem to be stuck so resist the temptation to use the BMS terminal as a lifting advantage. I will first spray them with WD-40 or similar then use a thin screwdriver to pry the terminal open a little then use same screwdriver as a gentle prybar against the battery case and bottom edge of terminal to prise up. Once off just sit it to one side where it won't touch battery terminal.

You don't really don't need to disconnect the support battery after this because in it's static state it is open circuited through the BSCM relay but if you feel safer certainly do so.

Use good practice when making your electrical connections, reconnect the battery and you're good to go.

Volvo recommends charging at these ports so that the BMS is kept up to date with the battery's State of Charge.

Reactions: SACS80

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All you need to do first is disconnect the main battery.
To do this just unlock the car, open the tailgate, then place the key more than 10 feet away and wait about 15 minutes.
You are now safe to disconnect the ground terminal of the main battery. Be aware even after loosening the nut they can seem to be stuck so resist the temptation to use the BMS terminal as a lifting advantage. I will first spray them with WD-40 or similar then use a thin screwdriver to pry the terminal open a little then use same screwdriver as a gentle prybar against the battery case and bottom edge of terminal to prise up. Once off just sit it to one side where it won't touch battery terminal.

You don't really don't need to disconnect the support battery after this because in it's static state it is open circuited through the BSCM relay but if you feel safer certainly do so.

Use good practice when making your electrical connections, reconnect the battery and you're good to go.

Volvo recommends charging at these ports so that the BMS is kept up to date with the battery's State of Charge.
Thank you so much. I have some supplies ordered they should come in a day or two then Ill post back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts