SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2013 S60 T5 with Premium Audio and Navigation (no Video entertainment). I've been getting a low battery message for some time, and it died today, had to jump start it.

I see people have used the Group 92 as well as the Group 48. Does it matter? The 48 is cheaper ($115 at Costco, 10 minutes away; dealer is 2 hours round trip + installation time).

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Either would do. Costco one has longer warranty so it is nice. But check your manual if any software reset is needed after battery is replaced.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up buying the Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto Parts. I got a Group 92/T7 800CCA 80AH battery with a manufacturer date of 5/19, 3 year replacement warranty, made in Germany. I got 25pct off the $164.99 price with free installation - around $135 total.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-gold-battery-group-size-t7-800-cca-92-t7-2/10043626-P

It has vents on both side, comes with a plastic plug that can be used to close the other vent.

I removed the battery sensor monitor for a minute. The car retained all its settings, just lost the clock time. Installation took all of 10 minutes. It felt great to start up immediately and not see anymore error messages !

I had to call around the local area - some had batteries from Feb 2018, and it didn't seem to me they don't typically keep them on chargers.

My other options for these were the Bosch Premium at Pep Boys, but they wouldn't tell me the manufacture date and double booked me for installation, left after an hour. They also had 25pct off but only a 2 year warranty.

Autozone didnt have a promotion or free installation. Interstate distributors were closed today, and I hear the MT92 are more expensive as well. I didn't try Walmart or O'Reilly Auto. Batteries Plus had a Jan 2018 battery.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and guidance over the years.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I didn't factor in the manufacture date on my battery purchase, but I did drive to the other side of town to get a bosch platinum with a 4 year warranty instead of a 3 year warranty on the autocraft for the same price. So hopefully the manufacture date doesn't end up mattering in my case. I don't trust the guys behind the counter at advance to touch my car, so installation wasn't a factor. If there weren't a pep boys within 45 min of me, I would have gone with the autocraft. They're both made by Johnson Controls, so it's pretty much the same thing underneath. Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
VinnieDu,

Don't forget you will need a battery reset done. This may require a quick trip to the dealer as it is done using VIDA. If you don't, you may end up shortening the life of the new battery. There are plenty of threads here on the battery subject.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't factor in the manufacture date on my battery purchase, but I did drive to the other side of town to get a bosch platinum with a 4 year warranty instead of a 3 year warranty on the autocraft for the same price. So hopefully the manufacture date doesn't end up mattering in my case. I don't trust the guys behind the counter at advance to touch my car, so installation wasn't a factor. If there weren't a pep boys within 45 min of me, I would have gone with the autocraft. They're both made by Johnson Controls, so it's pretty much the same thing underneath. Glad you got it sorted out.
I think Bosch batteries are now made by Exide.

I couldn't find a Group 92 AGM, though I did see a large number of Group 48 AGMs.

I just purchased an AGM battery from Pep Boys which has a 25% off (online order) plus a $40or $20 rebate (depending on battery). They do have both sizes as well.
http://img.rewardpromo.com/1/7554/21853.pdf
The 25% off + $20 off the Group 92 is a fantastic price. I didn't think about checking the rebates.

VinnieDu,
Don't forget you will need a battery reset done. This may require a quick trip to the dealer as it is done using VIDA. If you don't, you may end up shortening the life of the new battery. There are plenty of threads here on the battery subject.
I thought taking the BSM off for a few minutes and then adding it again would do the trick...is that not the case? I have access to a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner, would that help evaluate?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi VinnieDu,

I'm by no means an electrical expert. Some others here will be able to explain it much better than me. Updating the software to let your car know it has a new battery changes how the car sends power to the battery. As a battery ages, the car send more power to charge, which will be different from a charge sent to a new battery. Once you do the reset, the car sends the proper amount of power based on the fact it knows it's new.

Like I mentioned, others here will be much better at explaining the process, but I do believe it is something you should do when replacing. It will help extend the life of a new battery.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think Bosch batteries are now made by Exide.
I've found conflicting reports on the internet.
This page from 2008 says Exide supplies Bosch Batteries to Pep Boys. https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...pply-Bosch-Branded-Batteries-to-Pep-Boys.html
This page from 2011 lists Bosch as one of Johnson Controls' brands: https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/battery/

I thought taking the BSM off for a few minutes and then adding it again would do the trick...is that not the case? I have access to a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner, would that help evaluate?
According to the experts on this board and actual Volvo techs, the only way to reset the BMS is to do it through VIDA.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had read stories of folks who successfully reset their battery just disconnecting the plastic terminal connector on the battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8QOfdn_94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yfqkm1Ztz4

I have DICE/VIDA setup so I was prepared to do mine using VIDA but an interesting twist after I returned home from Pep Boys replacing my battery, I connected the DICE unit and it didn't power on! I later verified the mechanic somehow blown the fuse to the diagnostic connector/alarm unit.

It took me awhile to locate the fuse but in the meanwhile I had just disconnected the BMS connection on the battery terminal and connected it back after a couple minutes. After I replaced the fuse I did run the BMS reset procedure on VIDA. It literally took one second so I don't know how complicated that reset really is.

Having said that, I personally would not go to the dealer unless they do it for free. I would find someone close to you that has a DICE/VIDA unit and ask them if they can do it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts