SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So MNIWT and I were discussing in another thread the fact that the battery is in kind of a bad location. Our cars are fairly front end heavy and in addition the battery is at the very highest point possible in the engine compartment. Not to mention it is on the drivers side in the USA too further unbalancing the chassis.

So, I would like to see what others have done. Post your pics and ideas here.

Here is my current plan. Purchase:
Two Optima 8010-044 6V Red Top Batteries
Four copper battery terminal clamps
Quite a lot of #1/0 red cable and about 2 Ft of black #1/0
Either a 150A or 200A DC breaker or fuse
1 Can red plastidip for coating the terminals after everything is done (protection in the event of an accident/hard impact)

Fabricate two hold down aluminum brackets
Trim hatch foam in front of spare tire and mount 6V batteries on either side.
Tie the batteries together in series to give a full 6 cell Optima at 12.8V fully charged (this is done by a few race folks I know).
Mount each of the batteries horizontally under the rear storage hatch. Each at a corner directly over the rear axle.
This will transfer 80 lbs front to rear. More if you count what a stock battery weighs.
I will then have extra space in the front for an upcoming air box project.

I have checked the dimensions and they will fit just fine 10”x3.6”x8”

Feedback???

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
According to my knowledge on auto electronics, it sounds good to me. Where are you getting 80lbs though? I thought the stock battery weighed 47 or something like that? I do like how those cells are 800cca each. Although if you have one go bad, you'd have to get under there and unhook them to figure out which one it is. My old cobalt had them in the trunk, it was worth every bit to see it nice and dry everyday.

You might want to consider a vent line if they have a spot on the red tops. supposedly charging batteries release explosive H2, but I'm not sure about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well according to Optima the cell is sealed and does not vent unless there is a problem. However, if you look closely at the battery there is a port for a vent tube. I will indeed be routing that outside.

Anybody else done a relocation?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cant get much lower than that MNIWT. What cell are you using?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Cant get much lower than that MNIWT. What cell are you using?
6 cell 12v Optima Redtop. It fit perfectly in the stock battery location (without the battery cover in place). Definitely the best battery that I have ever owned, and you can mount them sideways.

They aren't supposed to vent unless there is a serious problem. Because mine is in a relatively sealed enclosure, open to the bottom of the car where there are already small vents for other things, I have not installed a vent hose. Might be worth considering though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to my knowledge on auto electronics, it sounds good to me. Where are you getting 80lbs though? I thought the stock battery weighed 47 or something like that? I do like how those cells are 800cca each. Although if you have one go bad, you'd have to get under there and unhook them to figure out which one it is. My old cobalt had them in the trunk, it was worth every bit to see it nice and dry everyday.

You might want to consider a vent line if they have a spot on the red tops. supposedly charging batteries release explosive H2, but I'm not sure about it.
Correct the stock battery weight is something loke 47lbs. These two cells togeather are about 40 lbs. When moving weight front to rear we are lightening the front by 40 and adding 40 to the rear. Therefore the front/ rear spilt improves by 80 lbs. This is one of the beautiful things about transferring items front to rear. You double the effect.

Now, my car already oversteers easily due to the Racingbeat rear sway when the dampers are set above 50% so im sure this added weight back there is going to encourage me to upgrade to wider tires too ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts