SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CaR has been running fine lately, until last night:

As I got close to the car (without pressing any Remote buttons) my tail-lights did a quick "double-blink".
Car would not start

Got a Jump-Start (after carefully reading the manual)
Once car was runnung, got Message: "IMMOBILIZER - see Manual" on in-dash display
(Looked in Manual - naturally, No useful Information.....)

When I got home, I called a local dealer - who was still open, and kind enough to tell me about the "trick" to Re-Set the Immobilizer Message:

-Lock Doors with Key from Outside
-Wait 5 minutes
-Un-Lock Door with Key, then before opening it,
-Turn Key to "Un-Lock" position a 2nd Time

Message was gone. (One less thing to worry about.)

Disconnected Battery and placed caR on chargeR overnight
(Looks like it's still the original battery that the 2004 came with.)

Q1. Any idea what's up with the blinky tail-lights?
As far as I know, I did not leave anything turned-on that would've drawn power
(But I also know that these new "Electronic" cars have all sorts of wild ways to run themselves down.)

Q2. For those who live in the "Great White North": Can you recommend a GOOD battery?
(I guess, if the OEM battery lasted this long, another one would probably not be the worst idea,
but I'm sure there are better options out there.)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Optima are the best, but expensive.
Otherwise go to Autozone, and get their store brand battery, good value.

I also have an 2004 and my battery went last winter, so for Milwaukee, you should be very happy with a 6 year run, on the original.

From experience, very low voltage on old battery can cause other problems, for example, it can drain the small and now weak batteries in the Siren module, and then your alarm will start behaving erratically.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I don't think Optima are the best; they're more or less for off-road use. So unless your battery is being smacked around all the time from super aggressive driving and rolling the car over, I'd skip the Optima.

Why not just get another OEM if it lasted so long? I think the OEMs are one of the Exide brands (if not Exide itself).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know if alternators are known for going out on our cars or not, but it's best to rule that out before you go spend potentially unnecessary money on a new battery. Once you get the car started again, disconnect the negative lead on it when the engine is running. If it goes dead, you've got an alternator problem instead of a battery problem.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Besides Optima
Go with OEM Volvo or Interstate (which BTW fits perfectly)
Both are good batteries

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 on Interstate or Volvo

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I installed Optima on my wifes 2.5T and after 2 years I can honestly say I hate it and want to get a new one. If it is cold out it drains completely, even door locks won't work. It is funny that alarn/immobilizer issues reported by others as I get"alarm system requires service". I suspect that alarm system battery has something to do with it but did not have enough motivation to look into it when temperature outside is 20F.

yes, no more optima batteries for me.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
For more cold-cranking amp capability, the stock VOLVO battery comes in 2 sizes. We all have the smaller size in the trunk as stock. There IS a larger CCA VOLVO battery which will also fit but you have to remove a metal "holder" and just push it to the right a bit to accomodate the bigger battery. That is what I'd suggest for colder climates...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a detached, un-heated garage.

Maybe the bigger battery would be a good idea, if the alternator is up-to-the-challenge of keeping a bigger battery charged. I remember my college days - where I had a car with a 7.7 liter engine that sat under the freeway about four days a week in sub-zero temperatures. At the time, my dad thought I was crazy when I bought an AC/Delco battery that was designed to replace dual-batteries in GM Diesel V-8s. But I gotta' say it was worth the extra 30 bucks - that car TURNED OVER NO MATTER WHAT!

On the other hand, the OEM Volvo battery was fine for 6 years (previous owner had heated, attached garage).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Besides Optima
Go with OEM Volvo or Interstate (which BTW fits perfectly)
Both are good batteries
Interstate makes the volvo battrys! :D
Well at least for the USA/eastern market

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Does anyone know what our battery group is? If there are 2 optional groups (as someone stated), what are they?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I called Volvo, the OEM battery is Group 48 Size 8. I'd really like to know what the alternate (larger) group is that was mentioned before. Thanks!

·
Registered
942 Posts
anyone have the Part Number for the larger Volvo battery?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.