SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XC90 is in for it's 40,000 mile service. It originally was scheduled for a week before 4 years but they rescheduled when a loaner car wasn't available to 1 week after 4 years. Which may or may not matter depending on the answer to the question.

For the service I reported a host of recurring issues, most of which are the same one's I have reported at each service I have done on the car going back at least a couple years. I always provide them in writing so there's a history. For example, the engine start/stop feature routinely works for a few days after a service then never works again until the next service. This has been the case at least a couple years. And there's various other software glitches -- skipping some radio favorites when advancing channels, losing phone numbers from my contacts (which then makes it impossible to voice dial them). It refusing to work with one of the keyfobs. Etc.

After a couple days in the shop, they are now saying the root cause of all this is a bad battery. Which is interesting because I proactively brought this up during some of the previous services as a possible cause of the start/stop issue but they insisted it was fine. And I am still skeptical that is the cause of the weird software issues I have had for years.

Anyway, they consider the battery out-of-warranty and it's going to cost about $450 to replace. The first question I asked is "which battery" since I knew there were two in my XC90. Which then resulted in a back-and-forth argument with the service manager who said there was only one and I had no idea what I was talking about. I said I was quite sure there were two and that the second was in the back of the vehicle. He laughed and thought I was crazy. I was clear that we were talking about the current gen XC90 and it didn't make any difference. Anyway, I moved on to asking what the warranty on the battery had been and he wouldn't give me an answer and said it didn't matter that it wasn't covered now.

So my question is, what is the standard warranty on a factory provided battery in the XC90? Was it the same 4 years/50,000 mile or was it different? Longer, shorter? Given that they moved my service just over the 4 year line and that I have been reporting these issues they are now blaming on the battery for years, if it was 4 years I would want to know. Hard to trust a service manager who won't tell me and who didn't even seem to know the car had two batteries.

Also, which functions are powered by the main battery in the engine compartment and which are powered by the second battery in the rear? He's blaming the start/stop problem, for example, on the battery he wants me to pay to replace in the engine compartment. So I want to be sure since he doesn't know about the two batteries that he's not having me replace the wrong battery.

I'm also not surprised about the battery. The car has never not started or had any lights left on, etc. But as one of the first owner's of this gen, I had to deal with all kinds of software glitches early on like it never shutting the radio off unless you locked the doors, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Both the main battery (in the rear) and auxiliary battery (in the engine bay) are covered by the regular 4 year, 50k warranty. Either one can cause start/stop to not work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts