SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the battery life on your C30?

My battery just went out after 28K miles and 3 1/2 years. Never left the door ajar...ever. I don't even have a sunroof or dual power seats.

Just curious with others.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I have been hearing more and more issues with newer P1 batteries dying in as little as 2 years.
The battery I had in my S40 lasted 9 years before needing to be replaced.

A lot also has to do with your climate... But I'm guessing Volvo starting using crappier batteries around 2008.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been hearing more and more issues with newer P1 batteries dying in as little as 2 years.
The battery I had in my S40 lasted 9 years before needing to be replaced.

A lot also has to do with your climate... But I'm guessing Volvo starting using crappier batteries around 2008.
Thanks for the input MNIWT...any recommendations for a battery after my wear/tear warranty expires?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I got an Optima Redtop, which has been excellent. Had it in the S40 for 1 year and transferred it over to my current C30 about a year ago.

It was a bit too tall for the factory battery box though, I was never able to get the battery cover to sit in place properly.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
My original battery lasted 6-7 years.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The battery on my 2013 C30 failed after 14 months and 4,700 miles. Tech wrote "Performed battery test. Battery failed test code A9M0L3EFXZFBDME3. 7.48V. Removed and replaced 700A battery. Scanned for faults using VIDA. Faults related to battery having low voltage. Cleared faults. No faults stored."

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the 3rd battery,that I know of,on my 09.Bought the car used 2 years ago and it had a non-OEM on it.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
My V50 battery went over 7 years and I only replaced because I figured better safe than sorry. The S40 battery is original (2008) and knock on wood, is still good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oh no! "Remove Battery, Low Voltage" on the dash! It's a love/hate thing with these messages!!!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Oh no! "Remove Battery, Low Voltage" on the dash! It's a love/hate thing with these messages!!!
Pretty sure that warning is for the key fob battery, right?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Pretty sure that warning is for the key fob battery, right?
Good call!
Jeff, are you sure it didn't say "remote battery, low voltage" as that is a common message when the fob battery is close to dead.

I've never seen the car tell you to remove the battery.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
...I've never seen the car tell you to remove the battery.
It gives you the zombie message: weird dashboard lights and won't start. My 2008 is on its 3rd battery--a Die Hard that was supposed to, but didn't fit right. The battery cover sits in the garage, waiting for the next battery that will, hopefully fit right...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of battery do you guys use?

For me the one that fits in the compartment is a Napa Legend 7540R.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is the battery life on your C30?

My battery just went out after 28K miles and 3 1/2 years. Never left the door ajar...ever. I don't even have a sunroof or dual power seats.

Just curious with others.
My C30's original battery lasted for approximately five years and 30,000 miles. The car had sat mostly unused for a few months, having been driven maybe 10 miles per week at the most, which might have contributed to the battery dying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got an Optima Redtop, which has been excellent. Had it in the S40 for 1 year and transferred it over to my current C30 about a year ago.

It was a bit too tall for the factory battery box though, I was never able to get the battery cover to sit in place properly.

can you provide me with a picture and what size optima did you use, thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I'll look up the size tomorrow.

Here it is wedged under the factory cover, but the cover never truly fit right with this battery in place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts