SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2013 S60 T5 was exhibiting some very odd symptoms the past several days. We were getting DTSC message errors, immobilization message, etc. - then finally yesterday when I was going to replace the original battery, the car would not even start.

Finally jumped the car to get it started and replaced the battery. The only problem was the replacement battery was about 1/4 inch higher than the stock Volvo battery so the front plastic battery cover doesn't clip on properly anymore. Getting the battery out and back in was no joy either, especially the battery bracket using a deep socket to remove the bolt, then lift out the battery.

The issue I ran into was the replacement battery spec'd for the S60 was actually about 1/4" higher than the original, so the plastic front battery cover did not fully clip on no matter what manipulations were made. I almost left the damn thing off!

Original battery:

Replacement battery in back with original Volvo battery in front to see height difference:

All the electrical nag messages were cleared by replacing the battery, it didn't even last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Why didn't you get it replaced at the dealer under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I am 4 hours away from the nearest Volvo dealership!

·
Registered
403 Posts
The battery on my 2013 C30 failed after 14 months and 4,700 miles. A roadside assistance tech came out but was unable to jump start the car. He summoned a tow truck to transport the car back to the dealer.

Impressive display of driving by the tow truck operator who managed to tow my C30 down from the second floor parking level at my condo.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When I put a Diehard in my C30 that "supposedly" fit I had the same issue. The plastic cover is now in the garage, hopefully waiting for the next batter that really might fit...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I had a similar issue with our IS250. I had to remove the OEM plastic shield around the battery so the "recommended" battery would fit. Do car manufacturers spec their own battery dimensions? Seems like a waste of money to me when there are dozens of standard sizes to choose from and design around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told Ford is manufacturing the Volvo batteries now and the dimensions are different from the original stock.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was told Ford is manufacturing the Volvo batteries now and the dimensions are different from the original stock.
Makes sense. Your car was built overseas and likely using a battery manufactured near the factory. Batteries are heavy, and therefore expensive to ship, so a local manufacturer is being used for the replacement parts.

Not sure Ford makes their own batteries. I would guess interstate or another large OEM battery manufacturer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>> Do car manufacturers spec their own battery dimensions?

There are a standards around this. You typically see them listed as "Group 48", etc.

I think our S60s are BCI Group 48 (DIN H6) batteries and the max height is 7.6 inches:

https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

This one cross-references DIN numbers to BCI Groups (but all units are metric):

http://www.continentalbattery.com/assets/DIN_EN_Chart_2010_BCI.pdf

Mine was just replaced by the dealer and is 7.5 inches tall and about 11 inches long. The
replacement says "Manufactured by Volvo, North America", "Made in Mexico".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts