SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XC60 R-Design with the 3.0 Turbo. 80K miles. I have two problems that are battery related. Does the R-Design need a special battery? Can the Battery Monitor System be reset by unplugging the lead on the negative terminal?

The battery died after a year and a half and I replaced it with a Napa group 48 battery. I reset the BMS by unplugging the lead next to the negative terminal for a few seconds. Youtube approved method. A couple of weeks later the Low Battery warning came on.

I took it to an independent Volvo shop and they said it was the wrong battery. It needs a Group 92/T7. They called Napa and they had the battery in stock. After a couple of weeks with that battery the low battery light is back on.

I took it to the independant to have them properly reset the BMS. They said it's still the wrong battery because it doesn't have the T7 designation. It was stated that the battery needed registered to the car and that without the T7 designation the car would always reject the transplant. It has to do with the R-Design.

I can't substantiate the claim that R-Design XC60's must have a T7 battery anywhere. I do see owners going through batteries every couple of years. There also doesn't seem to be any documentation of registering the battery to the car. I get resetting the Battery Monitor System. There are two youtube versions: unplug the terminal at the battery, and go through a series of button pressing in the cabin including the hazards. Neither of these seems to have worked for me.

Interstate has a T7 battery as does the Volvo dealer.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Thank you for any insight you may have!

fcb

·
Registered
586 Posts
I also have a 2013 R-Design, and just replaced the battery in mine a couple of weeks ago. While I’d imagine she had a T7, I’m not positive since the dealer kept the core (I installed the new one). I went with an H7 AGM from Sam’s Club. Better specs than most T7 batteries, and lower cost as well (was $179 I think?). Anyway, it’s the same length and width as the T7, but ~.5” taller. The factory front cover fits close enough, but doesn’t snap down. Volvo sells a taller cover, on my list to do at some point.

I reset the battery monitor in mine, but never had a low voltage light before the new one, so I’m not sure if that affects the “memory” or not. Either way, a fresh battery and monitor reset should be all that’s needed (no “registering to the car“). I did the reset with the factory tool (VIDA), not sure there’s any other reliable way to do it?

But yeah, there are several battery options depending on how your car is equipped (Premium Sound is a big one). The 48 should have been enough for basic use though, even if not ideal. :(

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a 2013 XC60 R-Design with the 3.0 Turbo. 80K miles. I have two problems that are battery related. Does the R-Design need a special battery? Can the Battery Monitor System be reset by unplugging the lead on the negative terminal?

The battery died after a year and a half and I replaced it with a Napa group 48 battery. I reset the BMS by unplugging the lead next to the negative terminal for a few seconds. Youtube approved method. A couple of weeks later the Low Battery warning came on.

I took it to an independent Volvo shop and they said it was the wrong battery. It needs a Group 92/T7. They called Napa and they had the battery in stock. After a couple of weeks with that battery the low battery light is back on.

I took it to the independant to have them properly reset the BMS. They said it's still the wrong battery because it doesn't have the T7 designation. It was stated that the battery needed registered to the car and that without the T7 designation the car would always reject the transplant. It has to do with the R-Design.

I can't substantiate the claim that R-Design XC60's must have a T7 battery anywhere. I do see owners going through batteries every couple of years. There also doesn't seem to be any documentation of registering the battery to the car. I get resetting the Battery Monitor System. There are two youtube versions: unplug the terminal at the battery, and go through a series of button pressing in the cabin including the hazards. Neither of these seems to have worked for me.

Interstate has a T7 battery as does the Volvo dealer.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Thank you for any insight you may have!

fcb
I've dealt with the low battery error on both the 2012 T6 AWD Platinum and 2015 T6 AWD Platinum a total of three times.

Case 1) Late 2015 early 2016: on the 2012 the dealer forgot to reset the BMS when replacing the battery under warranty (prematurely died under warranty due to the satellite radio firmware bug). Once the BMS was reset (and the new battery installed) via VIDA the low battery warning went away.

Case 2) Fall 2019: On a family member's 2015, a different dealer also forgot to reset the BMS last year while replacing a battery under warranty. The low voltage error would keep coming back multiple times per week even with the new battery. I went in with VIDA, saw they hadn't reset the BMS, reset the BMS and fixed the problem. The message has not come back since for them.

Case 3) Fall 2020: Just the other month the 2012 battery died again due to age / cold weather / infrequent driving / forgetting to always put the tender on it during COVID. I installed one of these: https://www.costco.ca/.product.100408213.html
As with the poster above, I looked at the specs and got this AGM battery instead due to the Costco warranty and shipping options available. It's been great. Was getting frequent low voltage error messages (confirmed low CCA/EN rating with my battery tester), changed the battery with the Costco AGM battery, reset BMS with VIDA, messages have not come back since.

There's a bunch of BMS data you can view with VIDA. It'd really clear if any of the "non-VIDA" approaches worked or not for you if you hooked up VIDA and viewed the data. I suspect they don't work vs the VIDA approach. With the VIDA reset, all three times the message has gone away.

I also recommend installing a MOST loop: YIOVVOM Fiber Most Optic Loop Connector Diagnostic Device Tool Bypass Female And Male Adapter For Benz Audi Mercedes BMW VW Porsche Mercedes Benz, Audi, VW, Porsche Pack of 2, Diagnostic & Test Tools - Amazon Canada

I like this one over the Volvo option as it comes with a male plug (in addition to the required female plug) to keep dust from entering the optical port of the satellite radio module. With this MOST loop installed, you can unplug the satellite radio unit and avoid any further battery draining problems if you don't use it / don't have the firmware update!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the Volvo dealer and put in a Volvo battery. They reset the BMS.
No problems.
They charged $350.00.
Thankfully NAPA took their battery back for a full refund.

Thx!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Volvo OEM 92 aka T7 battery (30772236) was in the wife's 2015.5 XC60 with premium sound. Dead after 6ish years seems about right. I just replaced with an H7 from Costco (Interstate battery with no CCA specs listed anywhere). As stated above, a little taller but my battery cover mostly clipped back on. It was $147 plus tax, so $160 out the door here in WA state. Next best I could find was an actual T7 from Advance for $170 plus tax. I suggest the Costco H7 if you can as the size, price, and warranty are better than anything else I found out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts