SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 2016 XC90 with 98k.

As I was a minute away from my drive way, my car Airbag, transmission, park lights came on. The car automatically put the engine to limbo only being able to drive about 5-10mph. Was able to park in my driveway. I put the car on park and then try to turn off engine. Engine would NOT turn off. I had to hold the 'STOP' knob for about 10 seconds for it to turn off because it could not sense that it was on park.

Next day - I tried turning on the car - does not turn on. Battery is fully charged (I checked). Front dashboard & Sensus (center console) had black screen (no power). No noise when I even turn the knob to "START".

My hazardous light flickers like if there was a lack of electricity. I can lock and unlock car with FOB. I can open rear trunk but cannot close it automatically.

Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You checked the battery in the rear cabin or under the hood?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under the front hood. If I read correctly, the front hood is linked to the rear battery. Also, the manual says not to jump start the car or charge from the rear battery. But I am willing to charge through the rear, but not too sure how to remove the white tab that covers positive charge.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Under the front hood. If I read correctly, the front hood is linked to the rear battery. Also, the manual says not to jump start the car or charge from the rear battery. But I am willing to charge through the rear, but not too sure how to remove the white tab that covers positive charge.
Charge only from under hood positive and ground point at top corner of underhood fusebox, its about a foot to the right of positive post if looking at engine bay from front of vehicle. The support battery will not prevent starting.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Was there a charging fault message? I've seen a few recently that need ECM's due to a faulty engine thermostat. The electrically controlled thermostat fails and causes a short in the ECM. One I had had no message and no charging, which sounds like yours. One had a message for a charging fault, both needed thermostats and ECMs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was there a charging fault message? I've seen a few recently that need ECM's due to a faulty engine thermostat. The electrically controlled thermostat fails and causes a short in the ECM. One I had had no message and no charging, which sounds like yours. One had a message for a charging fault, both needed thermostats and ECMs.
Mine did not show any messages concerning charging or faulty battery. Any recommendation on turning car on and put an OBD2 to check?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You can try hooking up a battery charger to post under hood and scanning. VIDA will read without ignition being on but generic scanner will not, they use different BUS signals. Doubtful generic fault reader will read everything worthwhile but worth a chance if you can get to key position 2. Try a different key as well. Best to have main battery tested. I've seen batteries read 12.6 volts but still have a bad cell. Hopefully nothing from cupholder was spilled into ignition switch switch. We've seen plenty of that with big cups of sweet tea or soda go spilling under sudden braking and will also give starting issues once the syrup gets down in all the connectors under the ignition switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts