SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 V70XC. 110,000 miles. Walked into the garage this morning and immediately saw that the front marker lights were on. I had not driven the car in about 16 hours and I am assuming the lights were on the entire time. The battery was drained enough that it would not turn over, but accessories worked. No switches were on and the keys were out of the car. All doors were shut.

I am not even sure where to start (other than reading codes from Dice, which I do not have). Are there any known issues of power draws that I should start with? The battery is original and is slightly low when I had it on VIDA/DICE a few weeks ago, but it was charging fine, and there were no codes relating to power or charging.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
I imagine the headlights were in the middle position. That gives no headlights at all, and no audible warning but walk away from the car and the markers stay lit. Otherwise, you'd have been fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that switch. When I walked in and saw the lights, I hit the unlock button on my keyfob and the lights went out. I got in the car and immediately looked at that switch and it was in the up position (where it has been for months because I never touch it). I did switch it off today since the sun was out and it wasn't raining, which is unusual this summer.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Hmm. The 02 XC has been in my use lately because the the R 'issue' (ugh!) and I have no remote. I have a key only because the remote is with my son on his keychain. The key unlocks and it sometimes trips the alarm, which sends a disable to lots of stuff - car locks included. I wonder if your alarm has died and it's being tripped silently and had lights come on? Do a little research to see which fuse - I pulled it and the problem was resolved for the message in the display. It's summer, so I will wait for cooler weather to replace with the module I got for pennies on the dollar and hope I get the sunroof back. VIDA/DICE may tell you what is being flagged. Anyone near you or will you be coming through DC area anytime soon?
It's not that switch. When I walked in and saw the lights, I hit the unlock button on my keyfob and the lights went out. I got in the car and immediately looked at that switch and it was in the up position (where it has been for months because I never touch it). I did switch it off today since the sun was out and it wasn't raining, which is unusual this summer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I figured it out-- I think I hit the panic button on the key fob. My alarm doesn't work because, well, everyone knows why alarms don't work on older P2. The lights just come on and who knows how much else drain of the battery is happening while trying to fire the horn off.

I will just chalk it up to dumb luck, and make sure my Halo Bolt jumper box is charged in case this happens again. Or maybe I will fix the alarm at some point.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Well, at least you know it's not a larger issue!
Drop the front bumper, drop the inner wheel well, remove passenger headlight and wiper, access the alarm. Reassemble. I've got one waiting in my garage and need to do the same thing...
I think I figured it out-- I think I hit the panic button on the key fob. My alarm doesn't work because, well, everyone knows why alarms don't work on older P2. The lights just come on and who knows how much else drain of the battery is happening while trying to fire the horn off.
I will just chalk it up to dumb luck, and make sure my Halo Bolt jumper box is charged in case this happens again. Or maybe I will fix the alarm at some point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I just need to get a new alarm. Or one that isn't bad.

Any idea what years the modules are compatible? I know there are some P2s and pick and pulls nearby that I may be able to get the part from.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
I think they're all the same. New is costly, but I found one from a guy who had replaced three months before an uninsured deer took his car out. He removed it and saved a bunch of new(er) parts.
I would never do that much work for a used part unless it was verified age and working. Even if it was free. You should find one and then redo the battery if it hasn't been burned up by the acid (but it's time and aggravation).
Yeah, I just need to get a new alarm. Or one that isn't bad.
Any idea what years the modules are compatible? I know there are some P2s and pick and pulls nearby that I may be able to get the part from.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you essentially nailed why I have not replaced it yet. I have a passenger side door lock actuator sitting on my work bench for over 6 months that I haven't replaced yet because it hasn't been that big of a deal to reach over and lock and unlock the door when I need to. I park my car in my garage or office parking lot 90% of the time. I am not worried about needing the alarm for a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
LOL. Great cars, though!
And you essentially nailed why I have not replaced it yet. I have a passenger side door lock actuator sitting on my work bench for over 6 months that I haven't replaced yet because it hasn't been that big of a deal to reach over and lock and unlock the door when I need to. I park my car in my garage or office parking lot 90% of the time. I am not worried about needing the alarm for a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woke up to lingering side effects of my drained battery. Car started fine, but last night I opened my sun roof and left it open all night. It would not close this morning. I searched on line and found some suggestions of using the key to lock/unlock 3 times to reset something. Did that a few times and it didn't work. Also saw suggestions that it was the siren module impacting the sun roof. With needing to get to work and a 30 mile highway commute and rain in the forecast, I could not go without getting the sunroof closed. Made a hail mary play of pulling the fuse for the siren module. Once it was pulled, the sun roof closed. I put the fuse back in but did not test to see if it will open and close now as I did not want to waste more time.

I just thought I would post that here so if others had this problem they may find it in the search. This may be common knowledge, but I did not find it in my quick internet search this morning.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Yes - they are indeed tied together. Thought I eluded to that in post 5 but didn't recall which fuse. Glad it's closed for you and the rainy forecast!
Woke up to lingering side effects of my drained battery. Car started fine, but last night I opened my sun roof and left it open all night. It would not close this morning. I searched on line and found some suggestions of using the key to lock/unlock 3 times to reset something. Did that a few times and it didn't work. Also saw suggestions that it was the siren module impacting the sun roof. With needing to get to work and a 30 mile highway commute and rain in the forecast, I could not go without getting the sunroof closed. Made a hail mary play of pulling the fuse for the siren module. Once it was pulled, the sun roof closed. I put the fuse back in but did not test to see if it will open and close now as I did not want to waste more time.

I just thought I would post that here so if others had this problem they may find it in the search. This may be common knowledge, but I did not find it in my quick internet search this morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did but it went right over my head. The fuse for the siren module is the last one on the list (36 I think), on the very lower right hand side on the panel inside the driver's door.

I have read that you can completely delete the siren but it requires a software update from a dealer or someone with a full VIDA subscription. I still have to take mine in for a software update for the transmission (which was never done by previous owner), so I may have them delete the siren.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
That's a plan. Two birds, one stone. I think you could access it and clip the wires and tie them off and leave it first. My understanding is that it's a PITD to remove.
You did but it went right over my head. The fuse for the siren module is the last one on the list (36 I think), on the very lower right hand side on the panel inside the driver's door.
I have read that you can completely delete the siren but it requires a software update from a dealer or someone with a full VIDA subscription. I still have to take mine in for a software update for the transmission (which was never done by previous owner), so I may have them delete the siren.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or just pull the fuse? Or does that kill my door locks from the fob? It's only a 5 amp fuse. Can't be too much on that circuit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After having no luck with replacing the battery on my siren/alarm, I drove my 2002 with the fuse pulled. The doors locked/unlocked with the key fob no problem. I may have gotten the message ALARM SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED which I cleared every time on startup. Some time afterwards I had problems with my sunroof not opening fully but not sure if it was related. I think there was something physically impeding it; the sunroof would get jammed and start grinding a little. Never thought to replace the fuse to see if the sunroof would open all the way. Now my 2002XC is a "parts car"...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
as above

Definitely pull fuse or unplug/remove the alarm if you know its faulty!

I had one that was constantly making quiet chirping/buzzing noises and draining the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts