SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 S80 3.2 FWD, 60k miles, only owner.

Has anybody experienced a similar battery electrical drain?
Output V of alternator while running 14 v. Battery replaced in July 2020. A couple of days in garage battery is low. Jumps and takes a charge.
Suspect a system draining the battery. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Following, as my C70 is doing the same. New battery, had been starting fine until recently

·
Registered
612 Posts
Battery replaced in July 2020. A couple of days in garage battery is low. Jumps and takes a charge.
Could be simply a bad new battery - does not happen very often but I have replaced many almost new bad batteries over the years

An inductive ammeter connected to a battery cable with the wire running out of the hood/ trunk with a closed trunk/locked car is the best way to test - you have to wait for all systems/modules to power down before checking current draw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be simply a bad new battery - does not happen very often but I have replaced many almost new bad batteries over the years

An inductive ammeter connected to a battery cable with the wire running out of the trunk with a closed trunk/locked car is the best way to test - you have to wait for all systems/modules to power down before checking current draw
Ok. How do you tell what system is the culprit?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

Output V of alternator while running 14 v. Battery replaced in July 2020. A couple of days in garage battery is low. Jumps and takes a charge.
We've been experiencing this in our 2010 XC90 for over a year now. For the most part it hadn't been a problem as it was being driven daily. Over the last few months it has gone a few times where we don't drive it for more than 3-4 days. At 3 days there's not enough juice in the battery to crank the engine. At 4-5 days not enough to even unlock with the remote. I've not spent any time troubleshooting and instead just put it on a tender when we know we won't be driving for a few days. Coincidentally I kept the old battery I had replaced and use it occasionally to jump it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both prior installed batteries tested ok outside of vehicle. The problem is battery is boxed in and can't easily get to it for a charge or jump. Wifes car. Garaged since new.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Look up how to do a parasitic draw test if you have a DVOM it shouldn't take long to perform the test at all

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your model year is probably not equipped with Battery Monitoring Sensor BMS (thin wire on battery terminal).

Checking parasitic draw in Volvos with BMS is very easy - simply connect a generic elm327 bluetooth adapter to diagnostic port and you immediately see parasitic drain level from the last 24 hours - Quiescent current average - in free Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app. And you get battery state of charge SOC, battery voltage V, battery current draw A, battery temperature.
Screenshot_20200520-123129 - Copy.png

carscansensors.png

·
Registered
6 Posts

I had a similar issue recently on my 2012 xc60. I had noticed the car cranking slightly slower than normal in the mornings for several days and suspected the battery was going bad. I took it to an autoparts store and they checked it with one of those electronic analyzers but said the battery was fine. I then started looking into the possibility of a parasitic drain. Most of what I was seeing said the normal drain was somewhere between 10-50 milliamps. I was seeing much higher than that around 300 milliamps but it was not consistant. After checking many things to see what was causing the drain like making sure the glove box light was not staying on I couldn't find anything wrong. I fully charged my battery the night before then the next morning it would not start. I know there was no way that amount of drain would kill the battery overnight. I suspected that it was just a bad battery and the analyzer was wrong. I bought a new AGM battery and had it installed and haven't had an issue since. I suspect Volvos have a somewhat higher parasitic drain than other cars as normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar issue recently on my 2012 xc60. I had noticed the car cranking slightly slower than normal in the mornings for several days and suspected the battery was going bad. I took it to an autoparts store and they checked it with one of those electronic analyzers but said the battery was fine. I then started looking into the possibility of a parasitic drain. Most of what I was seeing said the normal drain was somewhere between 10-50 milliamps. I was seeing much higher than that around 300 milliamps but it was not consistant. After checking many things to see what was causing the drain like making sure the glove box light was not staying on I couldn't find anything wrong. I fully charged my battery the night before then the next morning it would not start. I know there was no way that amount of drain would kill the battery overnight. I suspected that it was just a bad battery and the analyzer was wrong. I bought a new AGM battery and had it installed and haven't had an issue since. I suspect Volvos have a somewhat higher parasitic drain than other cars as normal.
Thanks for letting me know your experience. Still working on it.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Lot of discussion here about the Sirius module updating when the car is off and draining the battery.

·
Registered
S80 v8 2007 + S80 d5 2012
3 Posts
Hi. It can be BMS if you have such, try to disconect it, or put something to light sensor( on dushboard) so car think it is night, making better charging, it can be bad starter, som take too much power, many reasons. ..
Normally, BMS kill battery, - price that normall people pay for Eco **** by greenpease

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. Probably right. BMS. Found a quick and dirty reset method of the BMS. Battery ignition on, no start, main light switch all the right, (try all the way left also, sorry can't remember) push back up light switch 6 times, push emergency light switch 3 times, battery light on cluster should come on 3 times. BMS should be reset. Sounds about right, pushing buttons in correct order to reset something. Anyway, it's been about 4 days since, car starting yet. We'll see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your model year is probably not equipped with Battery Monitoring Sensor BMS (thin wire on battery terminal).

Checking parasitic draw in Volvos with BMS is very easy - simply connect a generic elm327 bluetooth adapter to diagnostic port and you immediately see parasitic drain level from the last 24 hours - Quiescent current average - in free Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app. And you get battery state of charge SOC, battery voltage V, battery current draw A, battery temperature.
View attachment 115315

View attachment 115316
Thanks still working on it. Will look into the bluetooth next.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on battery drain. The quick and dirty you tube video above may have worked. Car sat for full 7 days and srarted right up. We'll see.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting. I always thought the BMS reset tricks were hocus pocus. I wonder if they also work on earlier p3 models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car sat for 2 weeks without starting. Started no problem. Easy reset. Something worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts