SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago I was greeted with a "Low Battery" message on the dash after the car sat for a weekend. I measured the battery voltage at that time. It was around 12 volts. The car started just fine so I didn't really think anything of it. A couple of weeks ago I went away on a business trip for a week. After returning home I was greeted with a dead battery. I had to jump start the car. As a side note, it took me awhile to figure out that you can't simply press the start button in this scenario. You actually have to hold the button down to get the engine to crank.

Anyway, I think I have an excessive battery drain problem. I don't have anything plugged into 12 outlets and I checked for interior lights staying on but didn't see any. Has anyone experienced issues with a weak battery or have gotten a "Low Battery" warning? I seem to recall someone on here reporting a problem like this and mentioning that the dealer updated some software to solve the problem. I can't seem to find that thread. It would be nice to be armed with this info on my upcoming scheduled maintenance visit since my dealer can't seem to be able to search their database for TSBs. There is a Technical Journal about battery drain and RDAR (not really sure what that is). Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Having been through this with other cars, I'd guess your issue is with a bad battery. Testing will not always show a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i bet there is software to fix it. there has been issued where the siruis module "stays" on and drains the battery.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
TJ23515 for 2011 models: Electrical - Weak Battery After Parked For Long Periods
It is dated late 2010 and the fixes were put into production. I did not see any others (but
I have a 2011 and use alldatadiy.com to search for stuff specific to my car).

You can also go here and search "battery": https://www.volvotechinfo.com/
But that just lists them. You can't see the content. Honestly, not much help there.

I'm not sure if our batteries our sealed (I think not) but if not you could do a
hydrometer test.

I would just ask the dealer to replace it. Once they run down a few times the life
is cut short (that's right from the owners manual section on the battery).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I will be bringing up this issue to my dealer in the next couple weeks. I've had plenty of experiences with weak batteries. They usually will tell you when they're about to give up the ghost, usually detected by a slower than normal engine crank speed unless a cell shorts out which is obvious by measuring 10 volts across the battery. This battery seems strong with normal everyday driving.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I second the "tell the dealer" suggestion, this should be covered under S&S or regular warranty.

What's your driving like? Short trips may not allow enough time for the battery to charge. I've been monitoring battery voltage (via OBD reader) after reading about the S60's "smart alternator".

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! I'm in DC traffic. 45-60 minute commute to and from work. Plenty of charging time! I just hope my dealer doesn't reply with "No problem found" I refrained from measuring the standby current because that would require disconnecting the battery. I don't want to disturb anything until after they get a chance to diagnose. Plus, I really have no clue as to what the normal stand-by current should be..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't want to disturb anything until after they get a chance to diagnose. Plus, I really have no clue as to what the normal stand-by current should be..
One of the electronic modules in the S60 monitors standby battery current and records this value. Your dealer should be able to pull the most recent standby current readings to determine if that is really the problem. I don't recall how many it saves, but if I recall correctly when I looked at mine each was a few tens of milliamperes (40-70ma) range.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info! Thanks so much for the reply. What do you use to read these values?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Ha! I'm in DC traffic. 45-60 minute commute to and from work. Plenty of charging time! I just hope my dealer doesn't reply with "No problem found" I refrained from measuring the standby current because that would require disconnecting the battery. I don't want to disturb anything until after they get a chance to diagnose. Plus, I really have no clue as to what the normal stand-by current should be..
Hmmm, all stop and go, low RPM, high drain (heated seats, rear defogger, A/C clutch, lots of sound), might not have a chance to charge. You can only get so many watts out of an alternator at a particular RPM. If the RPM is too low, you're not going to get the Amps out to run all that stuff and the battery will make up the difference.

Measuring the voltage real time would show you that. If you're above 13.8, you're charging, below you're not. You can measure voltage old school (VOM with leads attached to battery terminals) or high tech (OBD reader).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charging volts are 15.2v all the time after the dead battery incident.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Charging volts are 15.2v all the time after the dead battery incident.
That's not good either. That tells me the battery is way low and is sucking power (in theory, charging). Or the voltage regulator is messed up and is frying the battery.

What are the volts after shutting down? 1/2/4/8 hours later?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Battery volts after 12 hours 12.18 volts, a bit lower than I would expect which tells me either that the battery never achieved full charge (which I can't believe after a month of driving) or something is draining the battery over night, which is what I suspect.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've said this before but, based on my own battery drain issues with other cars, you can't even start diagnosing the problem until you start with a fresh battery. If a new battery drains, you have a software issue, likely with the car's computer staying awake. If the problem goes away with a new battery, that was all it was. Testing will not show you if your battery can hold a charge over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sirius drains battery when not connected

i bet there is software to fix it. there has been issued where the siruis module "stays" on and drains the battery.
I just took my XC60 to the dealer for the same issue. Battery drains after not being driven for a few days. They nodded their head, as they've heard of this issue. They connected the Sirius antenna up in some manner so that the master computer doesn't continuously search for a Sirius connection. This is different from other posts, in that some people have said that disconnecting Sirius fixes the problem, which is not what the dealer did.

I asked about software updates, and they said that there aren't any applicable updates from my VIN.

So, it "might" actually be something to do with the satellite radio system that I never signed up for and have never used. We'll see....

·
Registered
18 Posts
This kinda worries me, so the only way to find out is to leave the car undriven for a few days !!! there should be a solution to this, last thing i want after a few days trip is a car that wont take me home.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So a few months ago I was greeted with a "Low Battery" message on the dash after the car sat for a weekend. I measured the battery voltage at that time. It was around 12 volts. The car started just fine so I didn't really think anything of it. A couple of weeks ago I went away on a business trip for a week. After returning home I was greeted with a dead battery. I had to jump start the car. As a side note, it took me awhile to figure out that you can't simply press the start button in this scenario. You actually have to hold the button down to get the engine to crank.

Anyway, I think I have an excessive battery drain problem. I don't have anything plugged into 12 outlets and I checked for interior lights staying on but didn't see any. Has anyone experienced issues with a weak battery or have gotten a "Low Battery" warning? I seem to recall someone on here reporting a problem like this and mentioning that the dealer updated some software to solve the problem. I can't seem to find that thread. It would be nice to be armed with this info on my upcoming scheduled maintenance visit since my dealer can't seem to be able to search their database for TSBs. There is a Technical Journal about battery drain and RDAR (not really sure what that is). Any insight would be much appreciated.
Yes, there is a software fix for this now.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great news! Any more info on this? I'm going in Friday and would love to have a part number or TSB number in my arsenal..

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm actually curious on what this software update fixes ... ie what exactly was left "on" to cause this battery drain

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm actually curious on what this software update fixes ... ie what exactly was left "on" to cause this battery drain
The satellite radio module (RDAR) would stay "online" causing a battery drain. Daily use wasn't enough to make it obvious, park it for a few days and it would be enough to drain it. Software has been created to correct this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts