SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2004...the battery has never been replaced - 8 years - not bad for an OEM battery.

What do you guys run? I wonder if I should drive to the dealer for OEM or get Optima Red Top? I'd like another few years of life, especially since the car sits a lot. .... I guess...maybe...what is a good battery for a car which gets driven rarely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sounds like you got your moneys worth on the first one!
I think you may be better off using a battery tender, (any smart battery charger), and just replacing your old battery with an Interstate or the like. If you go to the dealer it will be an Interstate anyway.
Make sure it has provision for external venting.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I just went with one from my local dealer it was a but pricey though

·
Registered
876 Posts
Interstate MTP-49/H8. Looks exactly like OEM. And I would recommend trickle battery charger or maybe disconnecting battery. But you will loose your settings every time.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I paid $160 for it and this is where I went to pick mine up:
Interstate All Battery Center
41-10 Berrian Blvd.
Queens, NY 11105
(718) 545-6002
Open on weekdays 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Car is a 2004...the battery has never been replaced - 8 years - not bad for an OEM battery.

What do you guys run? I wonder if I should drive to the dealer for OEM or get Optima Red Top? I'd like another few years of life, especially since the car sits a lot. .... I guess...maybe...what is a good battery for a car which gets driven rarely?

Thanks!
OEM is interstate battery. You can get one at Firestone for like 110$. Even cheaper if they're running some deal...

You can't just buy any battery. It has to be vented, and have a vent tube. If you look at the stock one you'll see the vent tube goes out of the bottom of the car. It keeps the noxious gasses out of the car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Another vote for Interstate battery. From my previous searches, it's exactly as the OEM battery, infact it's made
by Interstate. I've had it in my R for the past 3 months and no issues what's so ever.

My previous original OEM battery 7.5 years, started losing its charge and had difficulty starting the car.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fellas - much appreciated

Darek - i'll stop by the Interstate place next week - will have a fresh battery for Carlisle

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I took the brand new energizer battery from our 2002 S60 and put it in my R before we traded the S60 in for our 2013 XC. It works just fine, i've never had any issues. It has the hole for the ventilation and was around $105 at Sams Club.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Like the others go with interstate or OEM. Funny thing, here in my area the dealer has the an OEM Interstate battery cheaper than what interstate sells it for.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Reading this post makes me wonder about my OEM battery; my R was put on the road in July 2003 and it is still the OEM....I'm getting one next week. Which Interstate battery is it? I had MTP-48/H6 or MTP-49/H8?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Which Interstate battery is it? I had MTP-48/H6 or MTP-49/H8?
Either one. The H8 is a heavy duty battery with better cold cranking amps. If you live in a mild climate you can save a few bucks and get the standard H6.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
score! went to the Volvo dealer in Manhattan... talked with the lady...joked around about Volvos, R's etc... she ended up selling me the battery for $131!!!!!! a $70 discount

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
With the battery dead your also looking at potential problems with your alarm module. The rechargeable battery inside will drain and be ruined.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the battery dead your also looking at potential problems with your alarm module. The rechargeable battery inside will drain and be ruined.
Yes you are right. When the battery dies it still holds enough charge to maintain the alarm module and to open the trunk, but it will not turn over the engine.
I had the battery out of the car for 12 hours and when I put it back in the alarm went off and wouldn't go off for about a minute...I figure that the car battery recharges the alarm battery and that's why it went silent after it recharged

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Tom, did you check the water levels in the cells? After I pulled out the old OEm battery, I topped up the cells chambers, they were quite low in water. I've since then attached it to a battery reconditioner, and it's saying that the battery is now fine.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
The electrolyte leaks out when it discharges completely. You can rebuild the module and replace the battery as it doesn't always cause damage to the modules, but it isn't a fun project.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts