SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a positive terminal under the hood. But I'm struggling with where to get a good ground connection.

I was using the black steel loop near where the MAF sits. But I only got it to spark up once, and now I'm getting nothing.

Are there any better ground points?

I could probably crawl over the back seats to get to the battery, but without power, I can't unlock the tailgate. Thanks Volvo! hahaha

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Why can't you use the key to open the trunk? They cylinder is on the trunk sill hidden above the license plate frame, to the right of the trunk release button. You can see it if you crouch down.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OMG. Seriously? Is it facing downwards? Cause there's no flip up cover for the keyhole, like on the P80s(my previous wagon)

Edit: Looks like I'm right :(

Unlocking the tailgate
The tailgate lock is incorporated in the central locking system and is locked or unlocked when the driver's door is locked/unlocked.

The tailgate can be unlocked by:

Pressing UNLOCK on the remote control twice.
Using the central locking button on the driver's door.
Pressing twice on the remote control's tailgate unlock button (see illustration on page 81).
Relock the tailgate using the remote's "Lock" button.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OMG. Seriously? Is it facing downwards? Cause there's no flip up cover for the keyhole, like on the P80s(my previous wagon)
Yep. You'll have to crouch down and look up at it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I hook jumper cable to the black loop you describe. Because it's e-coated, it can be tricky to obtain a good connection. I wiggle the jumper cable a bit and ensure the jaws are clipped to the loop rather than inside the loop. You might also consider grounding to the strut mounting bolts.

Meanwhile, did you try to turn the key in the driver's door twice to unlock it from the outside? Turn key once to unlock driver door; twice to unlock all doors?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've tried turning the key twice. The battery is totally dead, so all it did was pop the driver's key.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Some cars do not have the hidden cylinder above the license plate, like my 04 V70 R, while had that on my old 03 S60 2.0T. Anyway, I had the same issue once, so rear seats down, then take out the boot cover, kneel onto the first boot carpet and lift up the second one next to the tailgate. After this you should be able to remove the battery cover and connect the charger.

Alternatively:
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_V70/04v70_06b.htm

or check your manual.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I tried that, but the ring they're showing in the picture didn't do anything for me, either. I guess I'll just **** around with it some more.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My mistake, I didn't read your signature and didn't realize that you have a V70R and not an S60R.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
As mentioned above; When I'm jumping a car, I always put the negative cable on a strut tower bolt since you are not supposed to have both leads connected directly to a dead battery. Never had an issue with a poor grounding doing it this way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, strut bolts were suggested also on the UK forum.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try the strut bolt. Like I said, I used one of the engine hoist loops. The painted one, specifically.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not reading the thread, just jumping in to post to help.

There are Volvo OEM ground points on each fender. There are three seperate black bolts that all have ground wires attached to each one.

These work fine for charging the car as I have done it. There is a limit to how much current you can apply wth the crappy alligator clamps most chargers come with. It's much better to let the car charge for hours or over night on a lower setting vs trying to jump start it with a totally dead battery.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So then I either have to get the hatch open, or crawl through the car to get the battery out, and charge it on my workbench. Fun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The first time I locked disconnected the battery I accidently closed the trunk...I started to freak out, the trunk wouldn't open, the back seat releases are in the trunk, I thought I was ****ed. Then I became rational and thought "no way volvo made it impossible to get into the trunk if the car had no power, I mean the battery is in there ffs lol" then I found the key hole.

I thought I wasn't gonna have a car again haha.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The first time I locked disconnected the battery I accidently closed the trunk...I started to freak out, the trunk wouldn't open, the back seat releases are in the trunk, I thought I was ****ed. Then I became rational and thought "no way volvo made it impossible to get into the trunk if the car had no power, I mean the battery is in there ffs lol" then I found the key hole.

I thought I wasn't gonna have a car again haha.
I'm amazed at how well hidden it is. Whenever I tell people about it, they have no clue it's there, even after years of ownership. I don't think any of the wagons have it though.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So then I either have to get the hatch open, or crawl through the car to get the battery out, and charge it on my workbench. Fun.
If you have a batter tender or the small charger hook it up on low setting and let it charge over night, ground it to the bolts on the fender.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts