SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 12 years of service, my OEM battery (600CCA) took a crap. Warning light stating low battery comes up within 3 minutes of leaving ignition key to position II. It still starts, but is having a hard time doing it.Talk about quality!

Spent my whole day off researching batteries for it so I figured I'd post up my findings here for everyone's reference.

Tried getting one from the dealer, but same story...got shafted with an overpriced unit. $315 for a 600CCA. Researched a few and narrowed it down to two brands. Bosch and Varta.
Initially, I wanted to get the same 600CCA one. However, I noticed in the battery Bay that there is actually a second screw hole to move the mounting, allowing a bigger battery to be mounted. Checked VIDA and saw that you can get a 800CCA battery size for it.
If you opt for the upgraded one, you need the size to be 355mm x 175 x 190. Fits perfectly.
Bosch has the following models for it. S4 60038 800CCA
S6 AGM LN5 (new AGM technology. Mind you, double the price here of the S4 so not cheap!)

For the VARTA, they had the H3 830CCA 600 402. The VARTA was more expensive here by $30 but I went and got this instead due to location and stock reasons.

A word of caution. NOT ALL BATTERIES HAVE THE VENT HOLE FOR THE TUBE.
These two have them and it's just a matter of plugging the tube in. Make sure to double check that, unless you plan to release hydrogen INSIDE you car. Both batteries are Maintenance free too.

Starts flawlessly now...plus the car stopped throwing false codes...which I assume is due to the low voltage of my old battery.

Just sharing to everyone in case you plan to change batteries!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've got an interstate battery. That's usually what I go with when replacing one unless I'm in a bind.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
After 12 years of service, my OEM battery (600CCA) took a crap. Warning light stating low battery comes up within 3 minutes of leaving ignition key to position II. It still starts, but is having a hard time doing it.Talk about quality!

Spent my whole day off researching batteries for it so I figured I'd post up my findings here for everyone's reference.

Tried getting one from the dealer, but same story...got shafted with an overpriced unit. $315 for a 600CCA. Researched a few and narrowed it down to two brands. Bosch and Varta.
Initially, I wanted to get the same 600CCA one. However, I noticed in the battery Bay that there is actually a second screw hole to move the mounting, allowing a bigger battery to be mounted. Checked VIDA and saw that you can get a 800CCA battery size for it.
If you opt for the upgraded one, you need the size to be 355mm x 175 x 190. Fits perfectly.
Bosch has the following models for it. S4 60038 800CCA
S6 AGM LN5 (new AGM technology. Mind you, double the price here of the S4 so not cheap!)

For the VARTA, they had the H3 830CCA 600 402. The VARTA was more expensive here by $30 but I went and got this instead due to location and stock reasons.

A word of caution. NOT ALL BATTERIES HAVE THE VENT HOLE FOR THE TUBE.
These two have them and it's just a matter of plugging the tube in. Make sure to double check that, unless you plan to release hydrogen INSIDE you car. Both batteries are Maintenance free too.

Starts flawlessly now...plus the car stopped throwing false codes...which I assume is due to the low voltage of my old battery.

Just sharing to everyone in case you plan to change batteries!

Replaced my battery with 800 CCA Bosch few years ago. Have had no problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to the drive in Movies last night. Gotta say, I'm loving this larger battery! Watched a 2 hour movie with nothing but the battery powering the sound system. Started without a hiccup after.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...us-die-hard-battery-today&highlight=ginormous

Shortly after I washed her car she who must be obeyed advised me that her car didnt crank as strong as it usually does a few times last week. 6.5 years and 81k on the battery - why wait for it to die? So I went on line and bought the die hard sears said fits - a size 49 with 850CCA. It came to $155 with tax.

A few minutes later I drove her car the mile and a half to sears in the pouring rain and picked up the battery. I then drove again in the pouring rain to install it. She couldnt tell me it was going this morning when it was sunny and the car was dirty?

The sucker is significantly larger than the stock size 48 in the car that has 600CCA. But, it fits perfectly because the trunk floor has a threaded hole for the bracket. Must be for the diesels battery.

The vent hose was a bit of a PITA. the piece on the sears battery is an oval male in the middle of the sears battery, and a found female on the side of the factory battery. i ended up pulling the tube out of the grommet on the floor of the trunk, reversing it so the rubber hose would slip over the male oval, and then put the plastic elbow that fit into the factory battery into the grommet.

I think costco sells a size 48 with about 600CCA for about $70. I should not have taken the word of the sears website that said only a size 49 fits our car. When i tried to look at the specs of the 48 the site told me it wouldnt fit the xc90.

just a heads up to others replacing their battery. costco doesnt sell a 49, but does sell a 48.

oh, and when all was said and done, the car started just like it did before I spent the money on a new battery. since she didnt get stranded, it is like i did nothing to the car. Im glad i replaced the battery, and thanks for letting me vent about taking the car out in the rain shortly after washing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts