SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a T5 Momentum back in February and so far it’s been great except for the Start/Stop & battery. Before I purchased the car, I went on 2 test drives and on the 2nd, the 12v battery warning message appeared on the driver display. When I questioned the sales guy, he told me it was prob because it had been sitting and they would fix it pre delivery.

Three months after purchase, the start/stop stops working. I gave it two weeks and then took it to the dealer. The service department said that the battery charge was below 70% and that it was the cause of start/stop not working. A week passes and the same issue reappears. I wait one week and return to the dealer. They replace the battery and the issue seemed to be resolved.

Again the start/stop ceases to function and hasn’t for 2 weeks now. The feature is kinda annoying but it helps with city mpg and I’d like it to function. So I’m currently booking another appointment with the service dept. smh. Anyone having the same issues?
Any insight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
There've been a couple of threads in other sub-forums about same issue. My primary battery was replaced in Oct, after which S/S worked regularly. Last few weeks it's been in upper 90s in DFW and I've only been making short trips. It hasn't worked, but I'm guessing (hoping) that the computer is chatting with the thermometer and they're agreeing that if S/S engages while outside temp is 100, it'll only be a matter of seconds before AC will draw down the battery, so why bother. I'm waiting until fall to see if it starts engaging again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Kind of relate yet not....

I was test driving a V60CC on the weekend. In Eco mode the S/S kicked in, During a long light I felt the A/C started blowing warm air. As in the fan still blew with the engine off yet the A/C was not engaged.

I could be totally out to lunch and imagined this however that is what it felt to me. Is this possible?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I could be totally out to lunch and imagined this however that is what it felt to me. Is this possible?
Yes this is normal. When the engine is stopped it will keep blowing air at you on a hot day, even if it goes warm a bit, though the fan speed will go down while you are stopped and come back up when the engine engages and the A/C compressor comes back on. In some conditions, when it is very warm, the engine will restart while stopped, just to engage the A/C if the car decides that is needed. Eco mode goes further in that it engages eco-climate mode which will minmize the A/C usage to enhance economy at the expense of extending the time it takes to get to your set temp, this means even with the engine running the climate control will blow barely cooled air at you at that will get warmer while the S/S is active.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Got an Uber-X ride from the airport home the other day in a GMC Acadia and its S/S worked at every light on the way home, UNLIKE my S/S which will ration one S/S ONLY after driving it for a week, then only ONCE per trip and restarts with the 'power steering needs a look-see' message. Dealer told me aux battery needs replaced for lot$a.... A beta system, at best, and Volvo thanks us for testing it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a little update.

The dealer replaced the main battery under warranty, saying that it was not at the acceptable charge level for the stop/start to work. They said that I don’t drive my car enough and that it’s leading to premature battery drain. I drive at least 15-20 miles a day, but I guess that’s not enough. On my second battery in 6 months of ownership. They recommend that I purchase a battery tender to help maintain the battery. Never had to do that before.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
So a little update.

The dealer replaced the main battery under warranty, saying that it was not at the acceptable charge level for the stop/start to work. They said that I don’t drive my car enough and that it’s leading to premature battery drain. I drive at least 15-20 miles a day, but I guess that’s not enough. On my second battery in 6 months of ownership. They recommend that I purchase a battery tender to help maintain the battery. Never had to do that before.

15-20 miles should be good enough IMO. I don't have experience on T5/T6 though. I would push dealer to check for unexpected drain when parked.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are a number of reasons that the start/stop function will not activate:

The car has not reached approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) after starting.
After a number of repeated auto stops, speed must again exceed approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) before the next auto stop.
The driver has unfastened the seatbelt.
The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level.
The engine is not at normal operating temperature.
The ambient temperature is under 24 °F or above approx. 86 °F.
The gearbox is not at normal operating temperature.
The gear selector is in ± position
The ABS system has been activated.
In the event of heavy braking (even without the ABS system having been activated).
Many starts during a short period of time have activated the starter motor's thermal protection.
A trailer is connected electrically to the car’s electrical system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have any one checked the accessory battery under the positive jump post in the engine bay? I seen people leave their cars parked for months and killed that accessory battery. It looks like a motorcycle battery may be like 160 CCA. agm battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts