SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
My start/stop stopped working on my 2018 V90.
The dealer replaced one of 2 batteries.
Question: Where are there TWO batteries? It can"t be the main battery. Car starts fine, not sluggishness.

·
Registered
278 Posts
pp 589-592 of the Owners Manual, available on line, show where they are.

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2018/17wk46/V90_OwnersManual_MY18_en-US_TP25155.pdf

Support battery
In addition to the start battery, vehicles equipped
with the Start/Stop function also have a support
battery.
Vehicles with the Start/Stop function are equipped
with two 12-volt batteries ‒ a heavy-duty
start battery and a support battery that provides
extra current during the Start/Stop function's
start sequence.
The support battery is located in a box next to the spring
strut in the engine compartment.

The start battery is behind the left rear wheel well.

Which did they replace?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My support battery needed to be replaced when my start stop no longer worked. The battery was expanding it's case. It took like two days for them to charge it to 100% I have an XC60 T8 as a loaner so no worries.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My support battery needed to be replaced when my start stop no longer worked. The battery was expanding it's case. It took like two days for them to charge it to 100% I have an XC60 T8 as a loaner so no worries.
This battery (SS support) seems like one more thing an owner has to worry about long after warranty is well over. I wonder if they also perform a battery learn test after replacement or something to the effect which could make it difficult for DIY owners.

There are already lots of electronics and sensors that one has to worry about on these new cars.

Excuse me now, I'm on my merry way to attach 4 x coasters to my CPU so i can go-kart on it as my weekend leisure vehicle. /s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked the car up today.
The tech was not there and the paperwork only says replaced battery.
They were in the back so maybe that was the battery.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Had my 2018 V90 in for its first factory scheduled maintenance this week. I told them that my start/stop had not functioned since a few days after I picked it up in Oct. I've only used it for short, infrequent trips around town, so figured I just wasn't charging the battery sufficiently. They tested both batteries and determined that the main battery (in the cargo area) was defective, so replaced it. So far, start/stop works each time I've been in it. They did the 2.0 software upgrade. The instrument panel symbol for start/stop has changed, as member 'gunshow' posted about on the XC90 subforum. I like it better than the 'Ready' that was either grey or white (mine was always grey). It's the same as the one in the Apps screen, and in addition to showing whether it's functioning or not, also shows (by turning green) that it has engaged.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts