SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not a noob to Volvo's - we've had an 98V70, an 05SR, still have an 08 V70 and an 05 V50. We just lost our 06VR (sigh), but instead of chasing down another perfect all ellusive 06-07 VR (the last hunt took me 2 years), I was thinking of going down the AthruC and Oceanracer route, especially since I may wind up with a "spare" atacama interior, brembos, and such from our toasted VR.

So. If I'm looking for a P2 XC70, any advice as to models and years I should be looking for, and years to avoid? I'm thinking of an 06 Ocean Racer, but any other suggestions?

Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Get the latest P2 XC70 that you can find. Avoid '01 - '02 models due to the problems with transmission. Even my one can't escape it despite having one very careful owner and no expenses spare servicing. It just started to show minimal slippage at 9+ years old and it has given good service. Good thing the extended warranty took care of it. So now I have an excellent '02 with everything works and some nice options on board paid for by the first owner. Try get the 06 or 07 XC70 and you will not go wrong.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I agree but any GOOD 05-07 will be fine.
07s have a couple of differences over 06s, like standard DSTC, different mirrors, nice, little minor dash trim upgrades, etc.
Like all Volvos condition is more important than miles
I bought my 07 XC with 110K miles and I guarantee it's better than 95% of 07s out there with half the miles!
I searched for 2 months for the right white 07

·
Registered
868 Posts
Totally agree. My 05 XC70 had served us well and has over 100,000 miles.

Took me a while to find her but worth the search and wait with all the little bells and whistles... Fun project car too.

I'm kind of ocean's Canadian twin with a lot of the same upgrades and mods.

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If you can find an '07 you're in good shape. Everyone seems to think it's brand new because of how nice the little aesthetic updates are. Everything feels much more upscale and refined, ESPECIALLY compared to my 2001.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
So. If I'm looking for a P2 XC70, any advice as to models and years I should be looking for, and years to avoid? I'm thinking of an 06 Ocean Racer, but any other suggestions?
Curious why you ruled out the newer XC70s? The T6 drivetrain is AMAZING.
Honestly unless I beat the snot out of my clutch, my XC70 T6 does 0-60 faster than my R without a doubt and that's without Polestar.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Look for a 2007 Adventure Edition. A 2006 Ocean Race would be lovely but scarce.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious why you ruled out the newer XC70s? The T6 drivetrain is AMAZING.
Honestly unless I beat the snot out of my clutch, my XC70 T6 does 0-60 faster than my R without a doubt and that's without Polestar.
Love the new XC70, but the issue is cost. We have an 08 V70 that is great and almost everything we need (large, family cruiser) that we drive maybe 10K a year - It's a great car (that replaced a 98 V70 that was totalled when a college kid T-boned my wife right in the door doing about 40; she walked away almost unharmed).

But we live in NH, and do a bunch of stuff in the winter, so we're looking for wagon # 3 that will go through the snow in some semblance of comfort. We have an 05 V50 AWD, which was great when there were two of us, but we're running out of room and miles on that car. And I had a Subaru Wagon for years (good for 240K miles), but I'm 6'3" and unfolding myself as I get out of that car after a day of skiing was getting old. So yeah, if you want to sell me your XC70 T6 for 12K, I've got an insurance check coming next week, and I'll even throw in an entire atacama interior and brembos at that price.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Around here, finding a 300hp T6 used is incredibly tough as well.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not many made, not many used out there
Supply and demand

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
There was only one used 2011+ XC70 T6 in the Twin Cities area for sale at dealers about a month ago, that's the one we bought. :)

There were like four or five 2009/2010 XC70 T6s though... Also there seem to be lots of XC60 T6s around.

But yeah not in the 12K ballpark :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
How's the hunt going? Looks like you are looking for the current V70 or XC70 series rather than P2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts