SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've got a 2004 with about 92,000 miles on it. One of the problems I'm trying to fix is that the rear end seems to have a side-to-side sway or roll to it. As an example, if I'm driving in a straight line and turn the wheel side to side (just a few degrees), I'll feel the normal front end turning stuff, but a bit of a wobble in the rear end as sort of an echo. I'm sure I'm not describing this correctly, but I'm at a loss for the proper terminology.

I just replaced the rear shocks, and the end end links are next on my list. The bushings and everything look OK (as far as I can tell). Is there any test I can do to figure out where the roll/sloppiness is coming from?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Gonna sound counterintuitive but have you checked the bushings on your front Lower Control Arms? Ever replaced them? Can change the geometry and make it feel like the rear is acting up.

Also, ever had the rear wheel bearings replaced? Symptom is usually a whining noise which goes away as you turn the car slight on a running road (IIRC correctly, right turn and noise goes away, it's the left side bearing and vice versa). Can also get the rear wheels up and give them a good shake side to side, see if there is any wobble whatsoever. Seems like you would have noticed if the end links were trashed when you did the shocks.

Just a couple of thoughts for what it's worth...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the front LCA bushings - I've done a visual inspection and they look ok, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for. I'll check the wheel bearings as well.

The end links are cheap and easy, and it seems about time to start replacing cheap and easy stuff, which is why that was on my mind. I've done the tests I know to do, and they don't make any noise or anything - they just look like crap and seem like they should go :)

Thanks for the pointers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts