SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no post... although i've been lurking.

I am itching to do some more stuff to my car. The last modification I did was putting drilled and slotted rotors, and that was a while ago. I've been waffling on trading it in for something else, but I've decided to keep her a few more years (its an '05). Now it's time to re-kindle some fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask which modification would be better to do to give a daily driver some more oomph. I don't have major mods to the engine, just the KN Typhoon. It looks like I can get either an intercooler or intake manifold for about the same amount, so I just wanted to get some input on which one you would do.

Cheers

·
Registered
484 Posts
Long time no post... although i've been lurking.

I am itching to do some more stuff to my car. The last modification I did was putting drilled and slotted rotors, and that was a while ago. I've been waffling on trading it in for something else, but I've decided to keep her a few more years (its an '05). Now it's time to re-kindle some fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask which modification would be better to do to give a daily driver some more oomph. I don't have major mods to the engine, just the KN Typhoon. It looks like I can get either an intercooler or intake manifold for about the same amount, so I just wanted to get some input on which one you would do.

Cheers
Definitely the intercooler

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That's not even close a comparison!
100% IC

Lol, I would almost go as far as saying that unless you do a bunch of other mods first (3"down-pipe, tune, etc) the inlet plenum isn't even a mod. It's just piece of metal.

Personally I think for the money the IC is one of the best mods anyone can do to their T5 engines. There isn't one that comes close imo. Everything else is either more expensive or less performing . . . imo :D

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I would say tune, DP and IC are the 3 biggest bangs for your buck.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That intake plenum will not do that much without a significant increase in boost. Intercooler for sure. Beyond that, a tune will wake up that motor more than the intercooler or the plenum on a stock vehicle. Most tunes offer 30-40hp and a bunch more torque. I doubt you'll see even close to that with an upgraded intercooler and new plenum combined at stock boost levels. Good luck

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
$600 < IC some initial power gains, car ready for more upgrades < $800
$600 < DP power gain when tuned, nice sound, car ready for more upgrade < $700
$900 < tune most power gains, benefits most from IC and DP < $1200+

:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is the best way to go, I also went for bigger IC, 3"DP and 2.5"exhaust. After that was done i went for a tune:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts