SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna get some opinions from all the fellow SS-ers here... Given a stock, well maintained, Geartronic R, what is the most efficient way possible to upgrade it to beat a stock E92 M3 past the 1/4 mile line? Budget isn't a constraint here.

From what I understand, stock E92 M3's make it past the line at ~12.6s?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Add a corner to the 1/4 mile :)

I know someone will finish this......THE R is Not a */* .... Car

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You might be a second slow or more slow. Drop a 2.3 16v with some beefed up internals in there with a big turbo and you'll beat it. But that's a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Uhh.. Forged rods/pistons with 10:1 compression, bigger turbo, catless exhaust, and an E85 tune on the dyno.

Will probably require more fueling, and a clutch disc.

This would probably get you a 11.xxx second car. You could also look at darton sleeves, and run 12:1 compression, and get a massive turbo. You can order custom pistons through wiesco.

This would be a good start:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/forged-connecting-rods-143mm/

http://www.vivaperformance.com/darton-cylinder-sleeves-2-3-2-5l-5-cylinder-engines/

http://www.vivaperformance.com/arp-head-stud-kit-volvo-5-cylinder-engines/

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good suggestions so far... Guys, I'm stressing on efficiency here. Most power per $, or per hour spent, to eventually cross the line faster than 12.6s.

ryanlamark's suggestion is way too much work lol.

DrBrutal, yours seem more realistic. Is that what I've been seeing you doing? :D What's the estimated cost of your route?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Good suggestions so far... Guys, I'm stressing on efficiency here. Most power per $, or per hour spent, to eventually cross the line faster than 12.6s.

ryanlamark's suggestion is way too much work lol.

DrBrutal, yours seem more realistic. Is that what I've been seeing you doing? :D What's the estimated cost of your route?
This post took me like 25 minutes to write, so please read it lol

IF you only did forged rods, stock compression with forged pistons (from viva or whatever), and you did an E85 tune without adding extra fueling... Here's a short list:

Rods, Pistons, E85 tune + 3 hours of dyno, gaskets and misc parts, exhaust, not including labor (besides tune/dyno) would be somewhere around $3,600. You have turbo options, Viva's $2,300 upgrade won't have much gains, but it's direct bolt on... If you got a brand new Precision turbo (or other) would be somewhere around $1,500.. Except you would need custom piping (which wouldn't necessarily be that expensive) but it would probably even out to be the same as the viva upgrade, but with more power gains.

Now the problem you'd run into with getting a bigger turbo and running E85, is you would pretty much be forced to get bigger injectors and fuel pump... It would probably run somewhere around 100$ per injector, and 200-300 for a fuel pump. Again, not including labor...

Now, if you add all of that up: Bigger turbo, rods, pistons, tune+dyno, exhaust, fueling, custom piping (maybe) without ANY labor you'd be around $5,900. Add about $3,000 of labor if a shop does it all.

The other more expensive options (Sleeving the block) will basically just add $1,000 to that, and if you did custom pistons with a higher compression ratio wiesco will probably run somewhere between $900 and $1,200. Adding that onto the other stuff, would be about $8,000 plus labor, approx $3,000 and you still have yet to include shipping/tax where applicable. Raising the compression to 12:1 and going all out with modifications, will be in the low 10's in the 1/4, if the tranny/angle gear/diff can handle the power. That's a whole other ball park though....

So... If money really isn't an issue, then go all out. Keep in mind, if you only did rods/pistons you'd have to worry about the cylinder walls - which is where the sleeves come in, and if you're going for a bigger turbo it should be highly considered in the project. If you're not getting a bigger turbo, don't even waste time with forged internals and just do an E85 tune, exhaust, and call it a day. It probably won't get you under 12.5s in the 1/4, but you're asking for a pretty large power increase for sure.

You're really better off getting an Evo if you want big power, but you'd still have to be prepared to spend $$$$$ Bottom line is, if you want to go fast, you need $$$$. How much is an E92? How much is the R? How much is the R + $10K in mods? Is it faster AND cheaper than a new E92? Even if you dropped $20,000 of modifications into the motor/transmission on the Volvo, it would still be less expensive than a brand new M3. Even if you got the R brand new.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a :beer: for the long post!

I'd put E85 as a last resort, because that's going to throw practicality out the window for me - it's hard to find it where I live.

Is a fuel pump absolutely necessary with larger injectors? If yes, do you have a link to where I can get one? I've been searching and only stock pumps show up. :facepalm:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Buy a 2010 Taurus SHO and a $600 tune and you will be around that time. Still kicking a** in a 4 door sedan that looks slow. I just don't like automatics so I'd never get one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I know there are some builds on here of some high HP R's. But it didn't come without problems. Check them out. Brutal has some good info there.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buy a 2010 Taurus SHO and a $600 tune and you will be around that time. Still kicking a** in a 4 door sedan that looks slow. I just don't like automatics so I'd never get one.
Saw some tuned ones on YouTube.. The best was ~12.8s if not mistaken... But that car is still amazing lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have to say this:
You bought the wrong car.
I wonder how the angle gear and tranmission would hold up that kind of power.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ok so because you said budget is not an issue this is what you do.

1) Drive you shiny new to you S60R to your local Nissan dealership.

2) Buy a 2013 Nissan GT-R Black edition.

3) Head down to your local drag strip.

4) Patiently wait for an E92 M3 to show up.

5) Use the launch control and launch the car.

6) Keep your right foot pressed firmly on the skinny pedal on the right.

7) Win.

If your really serious it comes down to three or four things;

1- Traction, try stickier tyres.
2- Air pressure... Larger turbo. Push more boost. Boost = Horse Power.
3- Air Temp....your in Texas? Yeah man you need a bigger intercooler or two....and maybe even a meth/water kit.
4- Exhaust cut-out in front of your exhaust system.

Now you can shoot fire and haul ass past that E92....however you probably will only get 20 or so runs and that's if your lucky....These cars are not drag racers. You will destroy it if that's your path but don't take my word for it I'm sure lot's of old timers can come in a tell you all sorts of horror stories.

If you want to spend lightly and still beat M3's you have a lot of options....you can even build something yourself to beat an M3......I would imagine a small caterham style car with a big block motor would do quite well and you could probably build what you want sub 10K. Are you good with a welder? Hell I've even seen some used E36 M3's sub 10k...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ok so because you said budget is not an issue this is what you do.

1) Drive you shiny new to you S60R to your local Nissan dealership.

2) Buy a 2013 Nissan GT-R Black edition.

3) Head down to your local drag strip.

4) Patiently wait for an E92 M3 to show up.

5) Use the launch control and launch the car.

6) Keep your right foot pressed firmly on the skinny pedal on the right.

7) Win.

If your really serious it comes down to three or four things;

1- Traction, try stickier tyres.
2- Air pressure... Larger turbo. Push more boost. Boost = Horse Power.
3- Air Temp....your in Texas? Yeah man you need a bigger intercooler or two....and maybe even a meth/water kit.
4- Exhaust cut-out in front of your exhaust system.

Now you can shoot fire and haul ass past that E92....however you probably will only get 20 or so runs and that's if your lucky....These cars are not drag racers. You will destroy it if that's your path but don't take my word for it I'm sure lot's of old timers can come in a tell you all sorts of horror stories.

If you want to spend lightly and still beat M3's you have a lot of options....you can even build something yourself to beat an M3......I would imagine a small caterham style car with a big block motor would do quite well and you could probably build what you want sub 10K. Are you good with a welder? Hell I've even seen some used E36 M3's sub 10k...
Or:
1) Drive you shiny new to you S60R to your local Mercedes-Benz dealership.

2) Buy a 2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG.

And the the rest is just like above.

·
Registered
303 Posts
From standing still you have no chance. I have catced up with a E92 M3 on the highway, passed him to see if he was in for a race. He passed me, but not so easy. After 200km/h i began coming closer, but then he turned of the highway.

So when going for a rolling start i think even a stage 2 will do it. The M3 is almost as heavy as the R, wiki says 1680kg. It got the power but since it's n/a it dont got so much torque. 400nm we got in our cars to. Stage 2 will get 350-360hp and about 500nm? For 1/4 mile you need much more, our cars launch so poor..

·
Registered
753 Posts
From standing still you have no chance. I have catced up with a E92 M3 on the highway, passed him to see if he was in for a race. He passed me, but not so easy. After 200km/h i began coming closer, but then he turned of the highway.

So when going for a rolling start i think even a stage 2 will do it. The M3 is almost as heavy as the R, wiki says 1680kg. It got the power but since it's n/a it dont got so much torque. 400nm we got in our cars to. Stage 2 will get 350-360hp and about 500nm? For 1/4 mile you need much more, our cars launch so poor..
Even with stage II boost up to 350~360hp that's still 60hp less than the M3 which is 20% less power.
Also RWD E92 M3 is a NA 4L V8 which power is much more linear and instant than the turbo charged 2.5L I5 with turbo lag.
Stock to stock that's a 4.5sec or less for the M3 VS 6.0~ sec if you got REALLY lucky. That's 1.5sec faster which is 25% faster.
Plus the M3 has launch control and M power tune.
It's gonna be really hard to beat a M3 with S60R GT in 1/4mile.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What you should be asking is, who do I trust building my 12 second car?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Saw some tuned ones on YouTube.. The best was ~12.8s if not mistaken... But that car is still amazing lol.
I check out the forums sometimes. I think people with the tune are around 12.5-12.9 depending on the driver. One guy has same tune and a couple supporting mods and I think he got a 12 second flat 1/4 before. The police are getting them everywhere now so watch out haha

1 - 20 of 34 Posts