SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace my front left (driver side) ball joint/control arm on my '94 850 Turbo wagon.<p>How hard is this to do for a moderately mechanically inclined do-it-yourselfer? I've got basically all the standard issue tools - sockets, air hammer driver (if needed), jack stands, etc. The one thing I don't currently have is a repair manual. <p>Is it pretty straight forward, or should I just have a mechanic do it?<p>Also, what's a cost guestimate of having a mechanic do it? Looks like the part itself is @ $75.00. <p>Thanks for any advice. Also, anything else I should be replacing or checking while I'm in there?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Ball Joint - How hard to replace (kitebuz)

Have an alternate means of reliable transportation before starting this work.<p>Don't park the 850 blocking anything moveable.<p>Be sure to have instant online access to OE Volvo parts including 850 applications for front suspension.<p>Do both sides.<p>Be safe under the car.<p>Enjoy.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Ball Joint - How hard to replace (gdill2)

Does that mean it is difficult to do, or just that things can go wrong/get broken and hold you up?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: Ball Joint - How hard to replace (kitebuz)

kitebuz...........<p>What you are about to tackle is labor intensive...prying the old parts loose is not easy. BE SURE that the vehicle is safely secure before you start!<br>Also....don't tighten the bolts down after you put the new parts on....let the car back down to level ground and make sure the weight of the vehicle is on the axle. This is the tricky part of doing it in the driveway. Don't get me wrong..it can be done...but it requires a little patience and ingenuity!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Ball Joint - How hard to replace (universityvolvoOSD)

Look these over and follow the applicable links for more info and pics.<p>George Dill<p><br><A HREF="http://images.google.com/images?as_q=volvo%2C+850&svnum=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=suspension&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&as_filetype=jpg&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&safe=active" TARGET="_blank">http://images.google.com/image...ctive</A><p>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's not too technical, but can be difficult getting the old parts removed w/ 125,000 miles worth of build up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts