SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was replacing my LCA bushings with PowerFlex. Everything went well but I needed to replace my ball joint at the same time and thats where the problem came in. I cant get it in place, not deep enough. As you can see at the picture I'm missing at least 5mm.

I've tried to sledgehammer, crowbar and such. Even put the wheel back on and lowered the car with it not fully seated and hoped for it to pop in place but no luck. I also slightly tried to pull it together with the bolts but I read in another thread something about not doing that to much because you can destroy the bolt-threads and get yourself in big trouble.

Whats the trick to get in in place?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Grind the threads off the ball joint, there is only 2 ways to put that back in either with a press or get a socket big enough to over the whole thing and smack it with a sledge hammer and pray they line up correctly. I tried for almost 1h 30 min before I gave up and just grinded the threads off and they fit with out issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It can be difficult installing new ball joints. You can't rely on the little bolts to pull it in by themselves. I'd take it back out and use a rotary file to clean it and the hole up a little, and try again using a punch on the outsides to drive it in fully.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Use an impact wrench and work each side to coax it in. If the threads have been crossed, this will cause problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried for several hours without succes. I've got no airtools available.

Isnt there a risk of it to be loose if its grinded? I was thinking about it but didnt dare.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I've tried for several hours without succes. I've got no airtools available.

Isnt there a risk of it to be loose if its grinded? I was thinking about it but didnt dare.
Locktite the screws if you go that route.

·
Registered
157 Posts
where you order the ball joint from?

i order 4 ball joints from fcp, and i got three black and one grey/silver, and the black ones was different splines on. much finer splines. the silver one with rougher splines was perfect fit. just a heads up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Don't grind too much! Just get rid of the ridge of aluminum that is keeping it from going in all the way and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have had no issues with the grind method as the bolts and all the weight keep them in place, if your worried just locktite the bolts as suggest and save yourself a headache.

·
Registered
246 Posts
this job is very simple if you have an air hammer.... CHEAP

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=fzLyT6zTN4rd0QHVoKn7Ag&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAA

i cannot fathom doing the job w/o it... i bought the air hammer specifically for this job, and it was way worth it, you don't need a big compressor, any 2 gal. one or so will be ok for this small job, borrow one if needed, way better than whatever you are going through man... best of luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have aluminum grease at the bolts and threads now. I guess the locktite wont do much help then. Wipe away the most of it and clean it with brake cleaner before applying locktite?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I didn't have too much trouble. You run into issues when it goes in crooked so you really need to watch it. Ideally you take a section of pipe, put it over the boot and hammer on that. Alternate areas that you're hammering so that it goes in straight. If it gets crooked back it out.

On one of mine I tried to shortcut & use the bolts to pull it in which failed. After reoving the bolt & properly hammering it in as described above, I JB welded the bolt into place. Been that way for about 2 years... Guessing its held because my front end hasn't exploded yet :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would prefer not to take of the wheel hub. Will try to slightly grinding it tommorow and punch it in place from underneath. Hopefully that works fine, because I need to install my two new rear shocks tommorow as well, going for a roadtrip at friday :eek:

·
Registered
751 Posts
You are on the right track Thomas!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grinding the splines worked just fine! I gave it a touch with my Dremmel and then it wasnt that hard to punch it in place with a hammer and the bolts did the last millimeter.

Thanks for all advices! :thumbup:

Oh, even the rear shocks were installed today with succes! Roadtrip with wife is now safe :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts