SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm playing around with the idea of doing some badge engineering to our new 240. I like the new chrome italic badges on the new cars (used since the inception of the 70-series cars). I'm trying to think of what badges are out there, so I can piecemail one together and am trying to inventory the badges Volvo has made. Here's what I can think of...<P>Large Font - S40, V40, S70, V70, S60, S80, S90, V90, R, XC, C70 so the inventory so far is... <P>Large Letters - CORSVX<BR>Large Numbers - O26789<P>Small Font - AWD, SE, 2.4T, T5, 2.4, 1.9T, T4, T6<P>Small Letters - ADESTW<BR>Small Numbers - 124569<P>I know I am missing something, so if you can, list the badges here, but just the ones in the new italic chrome font.<P>Right now I am thinking I can get away with the small font doing a simple "245" badge, though I'd rather do a large one.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not all the badges are the same sizes. I tried to do make a new badge for my brick. Since I had a 745 Turbo I tried to make a badge saying V740R. I bought the R from IPD and the other S70 and a V40 emblems from the dealer. The S70 is bigger than the V40. It looked okay if I just put big 7 and smaller 40 together without the V or the R. Sort of like the emblem started with a capital letter <P>My advise... Debadge the car.<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<B><BR>Large Font - S40, V40, S70, V70, S60, S80, S90, V90, R, XC, C70 so the inventory so far is... <P>Large Letters - CORSVX<BR>Large Numbers - O26789</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You left the "4" off the list of Large Numbers, from the S/V40. So I guess you could make a "240" from the new numbers. Or maybe a "V240" and then add the "Sportswagon" badge that came on the 850 one year.<P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by towerymt:<BR><B> So I guess you could make a "240" from the new numbers<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where are you getting the 2? From a 20 series car?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 745TRBOBRK:<BR><B> Where are you getting the 2? From a 20 series car?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm, I don't know. I saw it on the list of Large Numbers, but I guess there is no "2". Nevermind.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I screwed up, here's a revised listing. I added GLT below as well as Bi-Fuel. I think there may have been some others on the first gen S70/V70 but I can't remember. Anybody? I think the Special Edition XC and S870 may have had an SE or something...<P>Large Font - S40, V40, S70, V70, S60, S80, S90, V90, R, XC, C70 so the inventory so far is... <P>Large Letters - CORSVX<BR>Large Numbers - O46789<P>Small Font - AWD, SE, 2.4T, T5, 2.4, 1.9T, T4, T6, GLT, D5, BI-FUEL, 2.9<P>Small Letters - ABDEFGILSTW-<BR>Small Numbers - 124569<BR><p>[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
My advice as well....debadge is the only way to go. It is the true European way. My Black 855 SE is naked on the back except the lic. plate. The sides feature Euro turn signals, although the front still sports the factory grille....that is until I execute on the mesh front. <BR>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed that in Europe. There are a LOT of cars with absolutely no badging. My theory on badging is that it looks alright if it is simple and direct.<P>Right now, I am thinking of doing a simple newer Volvo emblem on the left (off the current generation car), and a 245 with the smaller font on the right. It'd be subtle, yet still tell people what the car is.<P>Plus, the new badges have a very understated design that looks good IMHO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Indeed the only way in Europe is badgeless. I firmly believe most people who are 'in the know' really understand why badgeless is great. A friend of mine with a Cavalier did this as well, and gets tonnes of complimnets on the clean lines. I would however be interested on any updates you create.<BR>

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree that badgeless is the way to go. i have an '87 765t wagon that i bought 4 yrs ago. i purchased badges to add to the badgeless lift gate and was sadly disappointed that i had wasted the money and effort.<P>my wagon looks so much cleaner without the badges on the back. trying to construct a badge out of a mélange of badge parts is only going to make ur ride look like u're trying to make it more than it is...and it will probably end up looking a mess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I lived in Germany for two years in 1991 to 1993, and noticed a lot of badgeless cars. My theory on it wast that as most European cars come with so many different engine options yet the same body style, as for example the Mercedes S class, can either be a S600 or S300 and everything in between, I figured that people who owned an S300, would take off the badge to play up their car, while the owner of an S600 would leave the badge on.<P>This was my theory at the time, and now I guess this has led to a statement of style. <P>I for one like to leave my car exactly stock (as it came out of the factory), down to the last detail, and only like to add factory options and parts, as I find aftermarket stuff steals away from the car.<P>IMO<P>Sam<BR>

·
Registered
61 Posts
I must completly agree that most people try to 'up' their car by adding extra badging, or removing to appear more than what it is. I for one like the clean lines, and also know that the enthusiast knows my model because of the factory, rear spoiler, and factory fog lights...my 855 SE.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not opposed to badging, I'm just not that big on a large amount of badging. <P>Unless a car is a pristine example of its kind, of which our new Volvo 245 is not (with 197k on it and a DL, it's also not a high prospect for authentic restoration), I enjoy upgrading the car, primarily and almost always with parts from the Volvo partsbin. <P>Personally I think the newer badges are a simpler design than the ones currently on the car, and also smaller and thus less noticeable. If I put Volvo 245 on the car, it's also accurate.<P>When I was in Germany, I did notice a LOT of badgeless cars, and I'm not opposed to the look...I actually like it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It may have started with people trying to up their cars by removing the badge, but for sure now, it's more about style. I tend to be more minimalist about things, I don't even like after market stuff on my car and even loose sleep if anything wears out and takes away that show room look.<P>The new badges are a bit more stylish and the fact that they are plain chrome and not over done like on many other brands really helps.<P>

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sat in traffic last night behind a Cross Country. Since we are on the topic of badging....maybe someone can explain why Volvo felt it necc. to cover the entire back of that car with wording....they really should have just applied bumper stickers. The Left side of the gate "VOLVO"...respectable. The right side "V70" "XC" "AWD", then on the bottom in bold white letters "CROSS COUNTRY", combined with the license plate, and dealer frame it looked more like a cover of Car and Driver, than an actual car. Why was it necc. to have both CROSS COUNTRY and XC? Does Volvo think we will buy more of these cars because it is has all this lettering, which must mean it is a fancy model? It looks ridiculous. I managed to get infront of the guy, hoping that as he was staring at my car, he might be inspired to shave it off. <BR>

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think the Cross Country script is a decal. I'd just take a heat gun and remove it if I owned one. I don't mind the V70 XC and even the AWD, but I agree with you that it's just too much.

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>Okay, I'm playing around with the idea of doing some badge engineering to our new 240. I like the new chrome italic badges on the new cars (used since the inception of the 70-series cars). I'm trying to think of what badges are out there, so I can piecemail one together <BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>George, hmm, if it was me I'd make a CAD model of the letters you're interested in then get what's known as a "stereo-lithography" part made of the letters. (a part is grown in a vat of goo by the computer and actually comes out as a 3D part. Think of it as a 3D printer.) Then just polish 'em and chrome them, then glue them on the car. The letters don't take any stress loads, so as long as you don't whack them you'll be OK.<P>Just a thought.<P> But at least you can get the font the same on all the numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know where I can get a hold of one of the machines (APR has one), but I don't know how to design it on a CAD machine, so I guess I'll have to piecemail one. Good idea though. Simple chrome plating would probably make it look factory as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>I know where I can get a hold of one of the machines (APR has one), but I don't know how to design it on a CAD machine, so I guess I'll have to piecemail one. Good idea though. Simple chrome plating would probably make it look factory as well.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Heck, I just got a new copy of Autocad Inventor 5. It's really easy to make a 3D part--just make an outline of the number in 'sketch mode' then add depth to make a solid. You want an italic "240", right? How tall? What's 'large' and what's 'small?'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts