SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum but couldn’t find anyone that’s had this issue. I have a 2011 AWD XC90 that I purchased used last year. The whole time I’ve owned it I’ve had bad wheel spin coming up my steep driveway that turns a sharp corner at the top. The front LH and back RH tires just spin and the car doesn’t move. The other wheels don’t move at all. The tires are Michelins that were new last year. Has anyone experienced this or know what could be wrong with it? I can’t believe that this is how the system is supposed to work. I had the dealer check it out and they said nothing is wrong with it. I also have a 1998 V70 that has never spun a wheel in my driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some videos showing the issue:

https://youtu.be/IvyyFAsn9Mo

https://youtu.be/pfUJdv-SLeM

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
I don't see anything wrong. It simply looks like suspension flex and I can see light under the LH tire. I do notice some traction work as the spinning wheel displays some braking. If you add too much gas, then the traction will have a harder time braking the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side.

You probably don't have the same issue with the V70 because the wheelbase is shorter, thus don't get into the same approach angle as the XC90. You probably just need to approach the turn wider than you would the V70.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah, pick a different line or take the sway bars off...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Or buy a jeep... holy crap thats a steep driveway!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So it sounds like there is nothing wrong and that is how it’s supposed to work. It doesn’t seem like a very robust AWD system if 2 wheels spin and the other 2 do nothing. This is with minimum gas pedal pressure as well. I’ve had plenty of visitor’s cars come up with no problem. I can’t make the turn any wider because there are trees lining the side of the driveway.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not sure "nothing" is wrong. I think the stability control is supposed to brake the wheel(s) that are spinning so torque goes to the other wheel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
THAT is pathetic for a car that enjoys such legendary status as the XC90 AWD. I have the 2004 T5 AWD version and it behaves the same when I am pulling the car from my basement parking making a slightly hard right turn on a semi steep climb. I have to slow it down to a crawl and then let the car climb.

I searched the forum but couldn’t find anyone that’s had this issue. I have a 2011 AWD XC90 that I purchased used last year. The whole time I’ve owned it I’ve had bad wheel spin coming up my steep driveway that turns a sharp corner at the top. The front LH and back RH tires just spin and the car doesn’t move. The other wheels don’t move at all. The tires are Michelins that were new last year. Has anyone experienced this or know what could be wrong with it? I can’t believe that this is how the system is supposed to work. I had the dealer check it out and they said nothing is wrong with it. I also have a 1998 V70 that has never spun a wheel in my driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some videos showing the issue:

https://youtu.be/IvyyFAsn9Mo

https://youtu.be/pfUJdv-SLeM

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
Unfortunately, that's just the nature of an AWD and even a 4wd system. Open differentials make it safer on the road. If you have ever gone around a wet turn with a car fitted with a limited-slip differential, then you would know how both tires can break traction and this can make it dangerous on the street.

As newer AWD systems are developed, they get smarter and can respond better to slip situations. The real culprit of this wheel slip on the driveway is the wheel travel and how the suspension doesn't extend enough to keep the wheel on the ground where it can gain traction. On the other side, for the 99% of driving time, having the reduced suspension travel on the coil springs will allow the XC90 to behave more car-like.

You can see how the AWD system behaves in different slip situations in this video. Around the 2:00 mark, the P2 XC90 gets stuck on a rear 1 wheel traction situation. The newer XC90 fairs better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRyHG4mxmyY

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Another reference- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...XC90-V8-Instant-Traction-test-in-slow-motion! , couple other videos in there as well.

Look up "abs traction control differential lock" and you'll see that what the XC90 is doing is pretty common. I've owned my '05 AWD for 14+ years now, "pathetic" was never a descriptor I would have thought to use when referring to how the vehicle performs in inclement weather.

* Added another link for reference- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?150009-Interesting-Haldex-Info

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another reference- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...XC90-V8-Instant-Traction-test-in-slow-motion! , couple other videos in there as well.

Look up "abs traction control differential lock" and you'll see that what the XC90 is doing is pretty common. I've owned my '05 AWD for 14+ years now, "pathetic" was never a descriptor I would have thought to use when referring to how the vehicle performs in inclement weather.
"Pathetic" is my subjective description of the car. I also own a 2006 ML500 AWD and have never had this issue with the ML500 that I have with the XC90. The ML500 is able to climb that turn without zero issues or spinning its wheels away. It's just a car so calling it pathetic shouldn't be that big of a deal :)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Is that the only turn it does it on? In the second video, it looks like you have an easy 3 feet of room on the drivers side to take a different line and maybe keep the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should’ve clarified that the videos are two different parts of my driveway. The first video is the top leading into my garage. That turn cannot be made wider and the car makes it up there with slippage. The second video is a lower RV spot. The car can’t make it in that spot driving forward at all. I’ve only gotten in there by backing in. I could’ve made that turn a little wider than in the video but it doesn’t help.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The problem is the road reverses both bank and direction. A car with a shorter wheelbase or softer sway bars would handle it better. What you have there is the perfect storm. A locking differential would solve the problem but they are not without their issues, either. Bottom line, i think the ABS is supposed to brake the spinning wheels, but for whatever reason, that's not happening, or not to the degree necessary. If it was a jeep, the sway bars would be disconnected to allow more articulation in the suspension, but then you can't drive on the highway without extreme (dangerous) body lean on corners.

Any chance you can find another XC90 to see if it's a problem with the way yours is handling the situation, rather than a genetic problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately I don’t have access to another XC90 to test it out. So the XC90 has open differentials without limited slip front and rear? I couldn’t find a straight answer on that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't think it has limited slip. I have seen the left rear slip and not the right.

I was against getting the XC90 and I kind of agree with your descriptor for a number of reasons, but the wife has always liked it. Happy wife, happy life. I am actually surprised though that once the warranty discrepancies were ironed out that it has been reasonably reliable.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
Yes, open diffs on both front and rear, relying on braking individual slipping wheels to transfer power to the other side. It can also cut engine power to limit the power to the wheels when slipping, but you can still press the gas to add more power.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't see anything wrong. It simply looks like suspension flex and I can see light under the LH tire. I do notice some traction work as the spinning wheel displays some braking. If you add too much gas, then the traction will have a harder time braking the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side.

You probably don't have the same issue with the V70 because the wheelbase is shorter, thus don't get into the same approach angle as the XC90. You probably just need to approach the turn wider than you would the V70.
I also see nothing wrong

At one stage the opposite vehicle corners have both wheels in the air. This is really hard for any AWD system to manage

You simple need to tackle that corner so that you never have more than one wheel in the air at the same time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts