SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my car started making a metal grinding sound when I accelerate hard.. I have been told by a friend that is is the turbo bearing.. And suggestions of finding a new turbo or a possible rebuild?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jumpin the gun a little aren't ya?I thing you have to have it diagnosed by someone who is familiar with Volvo turbos. Them move forward. Turbo failures are rare on these things if they are even half decently serviced. My guess and only a guess is a drive belt tensioner of a timing belt tensioner or idler bearing. Watch out! bad info can cost ya big!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the person I asked is very familiar with the subject. Maybe not Volvo in general but he has plenty of knowledge in the area of question. The sound was coming directly from the backside of the motor down by the firewall and sounded like a metal fan grinding on a metal surface and then resonating like a tuning fork. It's definitely not a belt squeal or a squeaking noise..
This is not my car but this s the exact noise it was making just that mine was about 5 times as loud.

https://youtu.be/Nwn34J20ge8

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
If your blades are grinding on the housing then a rebuild is pointless as you'll have to buy new parts for whatever ground against whatever else. Cheapest solution will be to buy a used turbo and rebuild it. Easiest low cost solution is buy a used but known good turbo and bolt it on. Easiest but expensive solution is buy a brand new turbo and bolt it on.

What model is it so we know what turbo to recommend you when you inevitably start asking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing that gets me is that last night it sounded like it was going to die. But today its normal.. Shrugs

·
Registered
856 Posts
Pull it off and check it out. It's not hard to do and It will only cost you a couple of bucks for a gasket. Other than that, I have no clue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats the plan for Tuesday. I have a knowledgeable friend coming to give me a hand. I will keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts