SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My thermostat in my 2000 Volvo S70 GLT 2.4L just died (I think, engine temp is zero and sometimes it will shoot up to red and all the way back to zero. After shutting off the engine I hear the coolant resivior under pressure which leads me to think coolant isn't being circulated due to a bad thermostat.) does this all sound correct? Now for my question, I ordered the new one and everything but need to drive to school and work. Should be here in a couple days. Until then, is it safe to drive? I'm afraid of overheating and blowing my motor. Any help would be appreciated. Could I try and clean the thermostat in the meantime? Thanks everyone! Need info ASAP!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
i do not think you should drive it at all until it is fixed. the wandering temp issue is probably the temp sensor next to the thermostat. replace both it is a very easy job.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the temp sensor you are referring to the coolant temp sensor?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Better safe than sorry. Warping the head will cost you thousands of dollars unless you're willing to go the work yourself.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the sensor. Still engine temp at 0 think the thermostat is stuck open. It was clicking after turning the car off. Would it still be safe to drive? Thermostat is coming in, in a few days.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The temp reading in the car is dashes now. So definitely the thermostat?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Pepboys usually stock Volvo thermostat.

A stuck open thermostat means the engine will take much longer to warm up. Your symptom doesn't match one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pepboys usually stock Volvo thermostat.

A stuck open thermostat means the engine will take much longer to warm up. Your symptom doesn't match one.
So what else could it be?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Do you have an odb2 scanner? I would read the data there and see what the coolant temp sensor is registering. That's totally different than the ambient air temp.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have one. So what should the coolant temp be?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What controls the temp outside?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The ambient air temp sensor

Your coolant should be around 190f when warmed up. If the car shut off and you don't know how hot it was, don't drive it. You're going to ruin the head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car has not shut off yet and I've driven 65 with boost with it like this. Of course I'm careful now but it hasn't overheated which I find weird.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Wait you put in a new temp sensor and its still reading 0? Sounds like a wiring problem or faulty gauge. Since both the ambient and coolant temp sensors are registering 0, it could be a bad ground or something. I'd look to see if there's any common issues with both going out, and a wiring diagram of both sensors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could it be running fine and the gauge is just messed up?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't think the gauge for the coolant temp would affect the ambient temp as well. I would hook up an odb2 and see if you can get the coolant temp sensor reading off there and then you'll know if it's the gauge or not. And then go from there.

But why did the car shut up off in the first place?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright well I'm at wake Tech right now so I'll see when I get home. Thanks a lot man

1 - 20 of 37 Posts