SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to always be a leech and never seem to be a help but anyways..

When turning my steering wheel (when stopped or going slowly) it makes a creaking, grinding sound. Only happens when turning to the right. Last night I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth while I tried to figure out where the noise was coming from. It's definitely the strut area, more on the top side.

I did some searching and on the S40 forum they described my problem exactly and said it was strut bearings. Is the R different? Anyone else had this happen?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
That or it's the TNN:

TNN64-21-2006-05-03 Title: Steering noise, yoke adjustment
Under certain conditions a knocking, thumping, or clicking noise may be heard from the steering. The noise may be heard as a metallic or hydraulic noise. The noise can be heard under the following conditions:

Driving on uneven roads or other large imperfections in the road, especially during right-hand turns.

When stationary, turning the wheel quickly from side to side. The noise may be heard with the engine on or off, and may also be felt in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would describe it more as a grinding cracking noise, not felt in the steering wheel.

I doubt it's the yoke as the sound it definitely coming from the strut area.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Strut everythings are a weakness on P2's from my research. Get the XC90 spring seats if you have to do it. I'm doing mine this weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably should replace the struts before too long but as now they seem ok. I don't need to replace the struts if I replace the mounts, spring seats, and bearings right?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I probably should replace the struts before too long but as now they seem ok. I don't need to replace the struts if I replace the mounts, spring seats, and bearings right?
Do it all at once. It's easier.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little confused.. Do I get the strut mount and the bearing? On pictures of both it looks like the same thing.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Strut mount is separate from the bearing. Need both.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

Having a hard time locating this stuff that can get it to me fast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You will have to rework if you don't do the struts. That said, I'm doing the same work this weekend and I won't be doing the struts. I'm going to check them for operation by hand while they are out and replace as needed if needed.

Thankfully, new ones come with a lifetime warranty so that's good.

I use FCP for these parts, but they ship a day after the order. You could have it for weekend work if you called them now I think.

iPD has said that their strut mount is better than factory, even the XC90 one. I can't say anything about their claims from personal experience. Their other parts they have claimed were better have apparently been holding up quite well for other people.

I just bought OEM XC90's. They have a lifetime parts warranty on everything from FCP.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IPD was out of strut mounts so I got them from FCP. Got XC90 spring seats and bearings from IPD. I know I'll have rework to do but can't bite off getting new struts right now. I'm sure they're worn but aren't giving me grief yet, so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie. Besides I don't have a spring compressor so I think I'll take it to an indy for this one.

Edit: just about ready to turn over 100K

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can rent a sprint compressor from an auto parts place. Just make sure you don't make the same mistake someone else did and not disconnect your swaybar links.
FCP has a special tool for the strut nuts that might be a good plan as well. It was only $20 and I can imagine it being very helpful.

You will need an alignment when its done so make sure you totally check everything up front and don't end up needing an alignment twice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You will need the IPD cross nut tool. Just get it, trust me. Just finished this job and it was the only way I could get those off. Also get a T50 and T40 socket for your ratchet, will be much better than a normal-handled driver.

Also be careful to not pull or force the axles around too much. If the joint comes apart inside the boot, you're in for more trouble.

I also did my swaybar endlinks while I was there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts