SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed when going up a hill with a slight corner at the crest, at speed, it feels as if one rear wheel is leaving the ground and the suspension bottoms out, hits the bump stop. Last time this occurred while in advanced and the slight curve was to the left. I am not sure but I think it always does this with a left turn. I also believe this occurs in comfort and sport. It feels as if it is the right rear is causing the problem. Is this normal?<br>Car has 49000 miles<br>Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
you are describing a rather generic problem, so it is hard for me(us?) to understand it fully. At the same, time the symptoms do not match common occurrences, like axle ping or sidehop. <p>Do you drive this particular piece of road on a regular basis? did the car change behavior in this specific corner for no reason? <p>do you have reason to believe something is broken or are you just venting your frustration with the inadequacy of the suspension?

·
6,436 Posts
There could be many reasons. <br>- your shock might be blown<br>- your spring might actually be broken<br>- perhaps the "bottoming out" sound is not the sound of actual bottoming out, but perhaps bad rear droplinks?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was referring to the road to my dads house which i only travel every couple weeks. I can also tell something is wrong when I turn right into the circle drive across from my house. It feels as if the right rear is not staying in contact with the road as I turn in the drive.<br>On my way to my dads it is blacktop country road and there is a straight stretch which goes down into a bottom and I usually pass cars here. When I hit the top of the hill I am running about 80ish mph and it feels as if the right rear tire leaves the road and right rear suspension hits the bump stop at the exact moment the car reaches the crest of the hill.<br>I have read the springs are weaker on the R cars and was wondering if the shock is bad would the momentum of the wheel traveling upward cause the suspension to hit the bump stop?<br>Also at what mileage do the rear shocks go bad? I have 49000 miles on the R and have heard the struts go bad at about 50000 miles. My car is still under CPO warranty until October I believe.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (tomedkaz)

What are the droplinks? Do they connect the swaybar to the control arm? <br>The bottoming out I am not hearing as I usually have the stereo on, I am feeling the bottoming out. It feels as if the right rear wheel is being pushed upward until the suspension hits the bump stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts