SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while putting on my hubcentric spacers from iPD a spindle/lug broke off of one of my front hubs. What do I do? buy an entirely new front hub? can i tap the spindle/lug out from behind and give me more room? can I replace just the spindle/lug?

If I do need a new hub, where can i get one from?

thanks.

Modified by Jonsi Jonsi S40 at 11:46 PM 7-20-2009

Modified by Jonsi Jonsi S40 at 12:05 AM 7-21-2009

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Bad night (Jonsi Jonsi S40)

Sorry to hear that bro, unfortunately I have no idea. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts

not 100 % sure as this has never happened on the Volvo , but on my old car. I carefully drilled a broken lock nut/ wheel stud to nothing , it's tricky but possible. Or centerdrill and extract ( much better , if possible!)

good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: Bad night (V50_T5)

So you broke a stud off your wheel hub? Most can be pounded out and replaced however ill verify this right now.

Edit: Well although it may be possible, there isnt a part supplied from volvo to do this. You would have to buy a hub.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I replaced the whole hub, but it looks like you can pound it out. I still have the old one sitting in my garage somewhere. I was saving it so I can see if I can just replace the bad lug. I guess I can try it out and see.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Bad night (ForceFed Motorsports)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
Edit: Well although it may be possible, there isnt a part supplied from volvo to do this. You would have to buy a hub.

Can't you just buy a generic one from an autopart store with the same thread pattern?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Bad night (volvoNB)

I appreciate all the insight
, I went ahead and pounded out the lug from behind, filed down the metal on the end (some metal shards were left). Popped the wheel back on temporarily, and tightened on a new lugnut. I brought it to America's Tire Co. where they had to get the spacers off. and they double checked it and everything is perfect.

They dont recommed the hubcentric rings because of this problem. The hub rings make the rim fit so tightly that it causes the rim to not suck up to the hub when tightening which causes wheel wobble, or like my problem, the lugnuts feel loose, then when you give them a couple turns, they randomly break.

Very much appreciate you guys http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Jonsi Jonsi S40 at 9:18 PM 7-21-2009

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

Interesting as the stock volvo wheels are hub centric from the factory which would means that they would cause these issues stated by the tire store....

Do the hub rings you have just slide into the wheel center bore or do they have a small lip on the inside that sits on the hub a bit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

they have a small lip and sit on the hub a bit. iPD recommended them for people with Pegasus replica rims because of the 65.1mm hub bore of the Pegs, and the 63.1mm of ours. They were only a 1mm hub spacer so I thought I would still have 1mm of "give room" but I didn't.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

The rims should fit snug though. I mean you gotta figure half of people with stock wheels have to pound them off with a hammer because they seize up. So from the factory they are tight like that, just dont see how the fault was the hub rings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

the hub rings made the rim fit so tight, that it took 4 men in order to pry off one wheel (then 2 more wheels). The only tire that was easy to take off was the one with the broken lug. They also made it fit so tight, that when tightening up the lugnuts to have the rim suck up to the hub they would risk cracking. The spacers also fit so tight, that in order to get the spacers off, the shop had to make a slit in the ring in order to relieve the tension. The spacers was melted to the hub.

I know there supposed to fit tight and stable, but those were a little excessive. Maybe someone else can have better luck with the spacers.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

Damn that is tight... hmm well i would inform IPD and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything ForceFed, I just thought things would go a little smoother for such a tiny project. Plus I was a tad upset on the lug. But still, thanks again for your info. This is still the best forum out there. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
357 Posts

I have always put anti-seize on the contact surfaces of my wheels. I am originally form Michigan and the salt would cause rims to get stuck on the hubs. Never had the problem once I started putting anti-seize on. Of course be very careful not to get any on the studs/nuts.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

No its cool, but like x-omatic was sayin its pretty common for wheels to stick to the hubs and thats what i was thinkin. But the way you described it sounded like they were actually stuck on and not just seized up a bit.

Thats a problem lol. IPD may wanna know about this. Wondering if either the hub rings were sized wrong or if your wheels and the rings dont match up right.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Haha, X, same problem happens to me. Tried to pry off the wheels to put some aftermarket ones on after winter, beat the ever living snot out of the tire trying to get the wheel to free itself from the hub.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Bad night (greencow)

yeah, the thing was they wheel came off so easily first. Then the hub spacers made it impossible. Ill have to call them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts