SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 V70 and have been noticing a smell of antifreeze when I turn the heat on. This morning after a week or more of not having to run the heat I turned it on and had the oder agian and hte windows fogged up and would not clear.

Does this sound like a heater core that has a leak?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yes, it's a sweet smell, correct? I actually just did mine about a month ago on my 1998 v70r.

·
Registered
281 Posts
it's very easy to check. take off the side panel from either side of the center console and touch the bottom of the heater core where the pipes come in through the firewall. when mine was leaking, that connection was wet to the touch.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Okay so I have a bad one too. I thought the whole dash had to come out to do it but now i'm reading it doesn't? There's so much info on it i'm having trouble finding a good how to guide, anyone have a link handy as well as what parts we need to pick up? The usual, aftermarket vs oem etc. ?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
There is an IPD video that I followed on youtube, was very handy. The only thing that I experienced that was different with the R was that you have to remove the Dolby Digital processor to slide the heater core out.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
found it, good to know on the dolby digital thing, thanks! So order the heater core and the oring set from IPD and that's it? Well that isn't as bad as I thought. Nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cD7L9hzHtNo#

seems ipd is even cheaper than tasca

to clarify one thing, no need to drain the radiator, just make sure to run the car first and ensure the heat is off, this way you'll only lose a little fluid out the tubes and what's in the core?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If you do not crimp the coolant lines (IPD sells the crimping tool) be sure to drain the resevoir before doing so or have a wet vac handy with towels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i can attest to the fact that if you don't drain the reservoir you will get a nice mess to clean up.
My core leaked so bad that my drivers side front and rear floors were soaked. I had to cut out the foam and insulation to wash and dry it. not to mention clean the crap out of the carpet

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Do not use the green o-rings from FCP. They are less thick than the OEM rings, and don't properly seal the heater core to the pipes. You can see for yourself, just put the old black Volvo o-ring next to the new green o-ring. Green is too thin.

I had a slow leak for a month before I realized it was inside the cabin.

I e-mailed them about it, with picture proof, and it was brushed off as a "1-off" problem. (If two rings are shipped to me that are too thin, obviously the whole lot is going to be the same) It's a common problem on matthewsvolvosite as well.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Do not use the green o-rings from FCP. They are less thick than the OEM rings, and don't properly seal the heater core to the pipes. You can see for yourself, just put the old black Volvo o-ring next to the new green o-ring. Green is too thin.

I e-mailed them about it, with picture proof, and it was brushed off as a "1-off" problem. (If two rings are shipped to me that are too thin, obviously the whole lot is going to be the same) It's a common problem on matthewsvolvosite as well.

has anyone tried the silicon ones from IPD?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5014/112864-heater-core-o-ring-seal-silicone

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

Not saying your wrong, but it fit flush when I put it back in and have not had a problem...did it about four weeks ago. I had asked several people whether or not it made a difference and a few other people used the FCP ones as well. Are you sure everything was in flush?

As for the crimping on the v70r, pop the hood and do it before the firewall, should be in the vid.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm wondering if perhaps FCP corrected this.

Can anyone verify that the green FCP rings are now thicker than the one in my picture? It's obvious in the picture why I had a leak :)

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well just ordered from IPD a Heater core, 2 silicone orings, the tube clamp pliers, sump pan oring set, new drain plug (mine's stripped to hell, the head not threads), and new O2 sensors. Guess i'll be getting to work shortly!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Good luck sir, let me know if you have any q's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts