SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice 2009 XC90 3.2 FWD with a few issues a few months ago for about $2500 under book value and have been correcting the problems and have it almost up to my standards. So far I've replace the lower right mount, upper torque strut and both drive axles.

Now I'm battling a drivetrain shudder/vibration under load between 1500-1800 rpm, most noticeably in 3rd and 4th gear. I'm thinking this is a sign of bad front/rear motor mounts (pads). I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can comment if they've replaced their mounts for a similar system,

The XC has about 122k miles on it now.

This is our 3rd Volvo, I had a V70 T5 a few years ago and the wife's car is a '10 S40 that we bought through the OSD program. If I could afford a new XC90, I'd do that again,

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I bought my 2007 3.2 AWD it had 90k miles on it. The first things that needed to be replaced were the engine mount & a front tire rod. I had noticed a similar shudder/vibration as you described. Brought it into the dealer and they replaced it free of charge since I had identified the issue within a few days of making the purchase.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought my 2007 3.2 AWD it had 90k miles on it. The first things that needed to be replaced were the engine mount & a front tire rod. I had noticed a similar shudder/vibration as you described. Brought it into the dealer and they replaced it free of charge since I had identified the issue within a few days of making the purchase.
Thanks for the reply! Do you recall if it was the front and rear engine mounts or pads? There's a bunch of different engine mounts on this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There are 5 mounts total. I would start with replacing all of them, then see if the pads need replaced as well. 122k miles is what I would consider a good life for mounts. Mine are currently at 181,000 and are just showing they need replaced. But that's on a V8.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, after replacing the front and rear engine pads, I still had the same shudder. I spent a few days thinking about it and determined that I never noticed the shudder until after I had the transmission fluid changed with Valvoline MaxLife fluid. Further research indicated that I was feeling a torque converter clutch "slip stick" as it was engaging, I contribute this to the new fluid.

I found a lot of info on using Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx for modifying the fluid properties to correct this very issue and I thought I'd give it a shot before taking it in to the transmission shop. The shudder is almost completely gone! Since our transmissions take nearly 8 quarts of fluid and the product is only 2oz, a 2nd application may be necessary to completely eliminate the shudder. I'm going to let it go for a few days and see if it gets better or worse with time.

I've never been one to believe in mechanic in a bottle solutions, but after studying this problem for a while I think it makes sense. I'll report back if I have any problems with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to go ahead and add another application of the Shudder Fixx this morning and I'm happy to report that the shudder has been completely eliminated, at least for now.

If I encounter any issues, I'll post to this thread.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I decided to go ahead and add another application of the Shudder Fixx this morning and I'm happy to report that the shudder has been completely eliminated, at least for now.

If I encounter any issues, I'll post to this thread.
That's almost unbelievable ... Valvoline MaxLife specifically says not to mix in any additives.

What's in it? How does it work?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That's almost unbelievable ... Valvoline MaxLife specifically says not to mix in any additives.

What's in it? How does it work?
It's probably a liability thing. Kind of like Volvo and the aftermarket parts voids warranties issue.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Always interested in hearing about folks using alternative fluids in their Volvo transmissions. Not to be a killjoy but it might be interesting to have to look at this: http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/6521.pdf, about ½ way down in the “Not recommended for use in:” section. Maybe adding the Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix makes the MaxLife more compatible?

*Disclaimer, document expressly references the Volvo AW 6-speed but then incorrectly refers to the TF 80SC and TF 81SC AWD as 8 speed when they are 6-speed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC). Believe the 8-speed is AWF8F45 or a variant.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Always interested in hearing about folks using alternative fluids in their Volvo transmissions. Not to be a killjoy but it might be interesting to have to look at this: http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/6521.pdf, about ½ way down in the “Not recommended for use in:” section. Maybe adding the Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix makes the MaxLife more compatible?

*Disclaimer, document expressly references the Volvo AW 6-speed but then incorrectly refers to the TF 80SC and TF 81SC AWD as 8 speed when they are 6-speed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC). Believe the 8-speed is AWF8F45 or a variant.
Interesting ...

That same PDF document also says: This information only applies to products manufactured in the following location(s): Europe.

The Valvoline MaxLife ATF I can buy at Walmart and other local retailers doesn't say where it is made. It only list the "importador" ... in Mexico!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
It's true, it does mention Europe for applicability. As well, the bottle in your photo does note "Hecho in EUA" (aka USA) right below the Mexico importer and "Made in USA" below the Ashland information.

Go figure.

Would be interesting to hear from more folks who have had positive experiences with this fluid (including the Dr.Tranny Instant Shudder Fix or not). At less than $5/quart if purchased in the gallon bottle, it might present an economic alternative to Mobile 3309 or Toyota T-IV.

·
Registered
836 Posts
At less than $5/quart if purchased in the gallon bottle, it might present an economic alternative to Mobile 3309 or Toyota T-IV.
Agree. I stumbled across it looking for a solution for my Honda Odyssey. Users on that forum rave about it and make similar claims.

Lots of reference to this ATF on this forum as well ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts