SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2008 XC70, non turbo 3.2.

Sounds like a bad bearing, I look under the hood and when the compressor is engaged the pulley wobbles a lot.

I've never worked on a 3.2, only the 5's. All the accessories are on the wrong side hahaha.

How bad to get this thing out? Special tools? How about the serpentine belt, it's awfully tight in there.

Any advice appreciated!

TIA

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
It's actually not hard to do. Remove the battery and the front cover for the battery box and you can get a 19mm open end on the tensioner. If you need more room, remove the bottom of the battery box as well (three 8mms) Use a 3mm bit to hold the tensioner. There are three 10mm bolts that hold the compressor on (plus two electrical connectors and the lines, of course).

If you want to replace the tensioner and idler, now is the time. If you want to replace the belt, it's a bit more involved. You gotta remove the power steering pump which can be tricky.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It is an easy compressor to change. I would bank on the compressor being bad. If the pulley is wobbling 95% of the time it is to late to change just the clutch.

Used vs new? I would vote it's worth buying new as the controller so commonly goes bad so cost of a used compressor and a new controller is not much cheaper than getting the whole thing new.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an easy compressor to change. I would bank on the compressor being bad. If the pulley is wobbling 95% of the time it is to late to change just the clutch.

Used vs new? I would vote it's worth buying new as the controller so commonly goes bad so cost of a used compressor and a new controller is not much cheaper than getting the whole thing new.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
So a reman is not going to have a new controller?

And I'd like to change the belt, which I guess necessitates taking off the PS pump (thanks, Volvo). Any procedures available for that chore?

TIA

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
A Volvo reman comes with the clutch. I would assume most aftermarket ones do too.

You'll have to remove the lower part of thr battery box to get to the pump. There's a bracket between the pump and trans along with a couple 10mms holding the pump. There are also two T25s holding the spring clutch for the water pump to the power steering pump. You might consider replacing the water pump as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that helps a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts