SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there i know the R owners can know a lot of things. Well after some racing and high speed driving(160+mph) on monday the check engine "emission system service require" appears when i came to my house. After let the car cool down i erase the codes with my ppc.<p>Next day i saw my tank with less than 1/4 of gass i saw a little lose of power i was thinking about fill the gas and see.<p>After i went to the gas station start to make some test:<br>in 2nd and 3rd gear on the 4000-5500 rpms there is some leak of power is like the engine is trying to pull but nothing happen so weird. <p>When i shift to 4th gear there is some fart and the leak of power feeling is more, the same in 5th gear.<p>Today we check with my friends at the dealer the fuel filter, lines, diverter, coils, sparks and O2 sensors(cat and downpipe).<p>We saw that the cat o2 sensor doenst have any sign and reading, it stay on -0.2V and we checked the sign, working cond, everything and nothing..no reading at all so i think the o2 on the car ot out.<p>My question is, can a o2 sensor can make that weird behavier on my car? on high rpms?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Bad cat O2 sensor failed, any syntoms? (volvos60t5x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvos60t5x</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>My question is, can a o2 sensor can make that weird behavier on my car? on high rpms?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>A bad 02 sensor can definitely cause some weird behavior in your car. Remember your ECU is looking for the sensor and using it to adjust fuel settings, rich / lean, so it's demise can make for some strange behavior. <p>Never had it happen in my R, but have experienced similar behavior in another car (300ZX) with a bad 02.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we will check today more things, ETM clean, change sparks,

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (volvos60t5x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvos60t5x</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we will check today more things, ETM clean, change sparks, </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Don't do that -- you're just wasting money and time.<p>Your O2 sensor should not have a steady-state reading . . . it should always be fluctuating somewhat. So if it is steady-state, then it's bad and needs to be replaced. If the codes you read were for a faulty O2 sensor, wouldn't it therefore stand to reason that you should replace the O2 sensor?<p>The O2 sensors on these cars go out quite easily. So to me, logically, it makes more sense to replace the part that you KNOW has already failed: the O2 sensor.<p>The saying "Keep it simple, stupid" seems to apply here (I'm NOT calling you stupid, so don't take it that way!). Fix what's broken first, then move on to other potential problem areas.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (R Salesman)

thanks for your comment, well im not spending my money cause the dealer will make it for free(good connects there).<p>Well as i posted on Monday i was driving at 160 mph and make a lot of hard accelerations, then when i came to my house th "emission system service require" message appears, for my bad luck i erase it by the PPC and the dealer didnt saw the code with VIDA and didnt come again<p>So i think thats why the 02 sensor failed due the high heat on the cat at that speed-rpms but i didnt know that a 02 can make that weird behavier on the car

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvos60t5x</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i didnt know that a 02 can make that weird behavier on the car</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Oh yeah . . . you have an O2 sensor go out and your car will start running all kinds of weird.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

omg i was thinking that the sensor 1 was the one that produce bad behavier not the one that is on the cat

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

I agree - the rear sensor (the one on the cat) should maintain a rather steady reading. That's kind of the point - the cat isn't doing its job if it varies a lot. The front sensor is much more important, that's the one that the system is reaing to manage the a/f mixture.<p>If the rear sensor disagrees wildly with the front, it will however trigger an emissions code, and a CEL. I doubt it would push the car into limp mode, but it could cause it to stay open-loop, which will rob power.<p>What was the OBD code you pulled?<p>Tom.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

Thinking about it some more, your signature says you've got an aftermarket downpipe on your car (which = aftermarket catalytic converter). <p>If you're running high rpms for an extended period of time, it's likely that your aftermarket cat isn't capable of actually working the way it's supposed to at that flow rate . . . if that's the case, then it could easily cause the rear O2 sensor to foul.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

True! Which is why the code is important - which sensor and what symptom (high/low/invalid).<p>Tom.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

Very probable that one or both O2 sensor was fouled or contaminated during the DP replacement. If the tech used and anti-seize compound on the threads it is even more likely. I don't think Volvo recommends using them.<p>

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tomorrow we will replace the 2 o2 sensors i hope this will fit my problem..if not i really dont know what else to check.<p>BTW we replace the fuel filter, plugs and clean the ETM at the dealer(for free) just waiting the sensors to get the last test

1 - 12 of 12 Posts