SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)
My Volvo S80 2007 is not equipped with backup camera but has nav screen and rear parking sensors.
Nav screen has 2 connectors for front and back cameras.

I know that genuine volvo backup camera cost a fortune to install.

I found this thing in aliexpress - https://bit.ly/2M1GNz6
It has correct connectors.

This camera is turned on when car is in reverse gear. Takes power from reverse lights.

What happens when you just plug this camera to car and monitor and it will work or no? Does it require some software from Volvo ?
Does nav screen video source is changed when it gets power through backup camera socket? If yes then software from Volvo is not required?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Hello :)
My Volvo S80 2007 is not equipped with backup camera but has nav screen and rear parking sensors.
Nav screen has 2 connectors for front and back cameras.

I know that genuine volvo backup camera cost a fortune to install.

I found this thing in aliexpress - https://bit.ly/2M1GNz6
It has correct connectors.

This camera is turned on when car is in reverse gear. Takes power from reverse lights.

What happens when you just plug this camera to car and monitor and it will work or no? Does it require some software from Volvo ?
Does nav screen video source is changed when it gets power through backup camera socket? If yes then software from Volvo is not required?
Never installed one of these but the process appears straight forward IF the license plate is mounted to the trunk.

You need to find a way to access the trunk from the license plate area. Which may include either drilling a hole, and sealing it with a rubber grommet, or routing it into an existing hole if there is one. Others remove a light...Youtube should be of use here.

Once you access the vehicle (youtube) there are ways of connect the cord to the brake lights. One is a snap in type setup which clamps over the light's cable.

Of course, you then have to route these wires up to the front...Unless of course you buy a backup camera that works wirelessly. Thereby eliminating the need for cords to the display. Believe these use Bluetooth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hm, I thought that hardest part is with wires :D But it looks like it requires more programming.
I'm always thinking to build something myself and I don't want to pay for CFE plus + camera 300eur +
Hardest part I think is to understand CANBUS and find what channels to ping to bring the screen and switch video source.

And then this backup camera could be 60eur or smth. (arduino + camera + some effort) :D

·
Registered
8,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hm, I thought that hardest part is with wires :D But it looks like it requires more programming.
I'm always thinking to build something myself and I don't want to pay for CFE plus + camera 300eur +
Hardest part I think is to understand CANBUS and find what channels to ping to bring the screen and switch video source.

And then this backup camera could be 60eur or smth. (arduino + camera + some effort) :D
CFE+ is programmed on your PC, then it is plugged into the OBD II port. You can change all sorts of settings on the car also. Trying to decipher CANBUS is not worth saving 300+ Euros. Make a mistake could be costly.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It`s not that easy, look at the nightmare Volvo OEM kit installation instructions.
https://accessories.volvocars.com/I...ument/VCC-307311-1/en-us/S80(07-)/2007/V8 AWD
For what its worth, if you want the clean OEM lines, the do the factory install. Outside of the wiring harness, everything else you need can be found from used cars or on ebay. I did this with a 2012 s60. Followed the instructions and in about 4-5 hours had the car wired and up and working. With the help if VDASH you can activate it without a trip to the dealer. Time, a little bit of patience and some research can save you thousands on something like this. Plus its a nice selling point having that additional option when its time to trade in or replace the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts