SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I know the older backup cameras aren’t going to have the image quality of the new cars, but does this look normal? Looks washed out and grainy compared to when we bought the car last July (looks even worse than the pic in person) . Lens is clean, and has the equalizer module installed for the flickering issue. For reference, the dump truck in the pic is white with a bright red bed. Even the grass is gray lol.

My brother also has a 2013, but his is an XC70. His has much more vivid colors, and different guide lines (his are red and yellow). His camera also has a globe around the lens, mine is flat.

Is this normal, or is there an issue?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Hello all,

I know the older backup cameras aren't going to have the image quality of the new cars, but does this look normal? Looks washed out and grainy compared to when we bought the car last July (looks even worse than the pic in person) . Lens is clean, and has the equalizer module installed for the flickering issue. For reference, the dump truck in the pic is white with a bright red bed. Even the grass is gray lol.

My brother also has a 2013, but his is an XC70. His has much more vivid colors, and different guide lines (his are red and yellow). His camera also has a globe around the lens, mine is flat.

Is this normal, or is there an issue?

Thanks,

Joe
Has the picture worsened over time or was the image the same at time of purchase last July? I can tell you now that if the camera does have an issue, you're looking at over $1,000 in repairs. I had a problem with my camera + wiring harness on 15.5 S60 and those repairs weren't cheap. Course, it was all taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to me it has worsened over time. I don’t remember thinking “this looks bad” when we bought the car. Lol

And ouch! Does sound expensive for what it is. Car is CPO until July, hoping to have them take car of it. Just curious if I should push the issue, they simply said “they don’t look as good as the new cars” last visit...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Seems to me it has worsened over time. I don't remember thinking "this looks bad" when we bought the car. Lol

And ouch! Does sound expensive for what it is. Car is CPO until July, hoping to have them take car of it. Just curious if I should push the issue, they simply said "they don't look as good as the new cars" last visit...

Thanks,

Joe
I'd push the issue now if the CPO is still in effect. Otherwise, you are going to wind up with an expensive out of pocket repair.

I've learned one thing, if you think there's a problem, go ahead ask. Let Volvo be the one to determine whether your suspicions are accurate. That's what the warranty (or CPO) is there for!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
The picture looks pretty normal, but you say it's worse in person so maybe there is an issue. I haven't run into any problems other than the flickering. If it is a camera problem, it isn't close to $1000 though.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
The picture looks pretty normal, but you say it's worse in person so maybe there is an issue. I haven't run into any problems other than the flickering. If it is a camera problem, it isn't close to $1000 though.
I know with my camera issue, they had to replace camera + wiring harness. Depends I guess what the culprit may be here. If camera itself or electrical. He has a CPO in effect, so I would take it in and have things diagnosed while the warranty was active.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Looked at my service ticket.

1. Camera itself was $338
2. 2 Labor Hours @ 150/hr

$638 + Tax = ~$680 if ONLY camera

If wiring harness it'd be more. Can't find receipt to that ATM. But that'd push it to the $1000+ ballpark if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Thanks guys.

Here is a pic of my Brothers. Again, same year, just an XC70. Night and day difference I think...

Joe
Seems your camera is washed out and colorless compared to your brothers. Take it in to dealer for a gander. As I said, better it comes out of CPO than your pocket. Camera alone is ~$680 on a 15.5 (not sure your model).

Wiring harness probably push it at to least $1000 with parts + labor if there's an electrical issue going on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked at my service ticket.

1. Camera itself was $338
2. 2 Labor Hours @ 150/hr

$638 + Tax = ~$680 if ONLY camera

If wiring harness it'd be more. Can't find receipt to that ATM. But that'd push it to the $1000+ ballpark if I recall correctly.
What issue was yours having?

Joe

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
What issue was yours having?

Joe
My camera would randomly fail to engage. Message Generated: Error Backup camera unavailable

Ended up requiring:

1. New Wiring Harness
2. New Camera
3. Replaced Seal
4. Software Update

Before the camera issue was resolved. I looked at receipt for ONLY camera + labor so that was $680 give or take taxes. Couldn't find the wiring harness receipt at the moment. It took 4 attempts to resolve my vehicle's issue. Would have been a Lemon Law issue, but I liked the dealer. They were genuinely trying to solve issue, and didn't beat around the bush. So I rode it out til fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts