SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was asking questions about the Nav system, this week it's the Back-Up Radar!

Same friend has it on his bimmer and it's sweet, takes the guess work out of parking that's for sure!

1. Anyone have it?
2. Can it be retrofitted easily (specifically to a 2001 XC)?
3. Have you got a price? I haven't been able to find one.

Comments?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have it on my XC as a Volvo supplied option - works just great but is quite expensive. It has 4 sensors on the rear bumper. They blend in quite well. It was installed by the dealer and therefore is OK to retrofit. Ask the dealer the price installed 'cos I don't remember. If you get it, get the dealer to tweak the loudness control to maximum. It operates within 1.5 m.

·
Registered
61 Posts
further to my previous post, you can certainly get a cheaper after market product which, as Darell says, will probably work quite well. The Volvo unit has 4 sensors rather than, I believe, fewer in the cheaper units and may provide a better rear coverage pattern and are inset slightly into the bumper and are well protected rather tahan being glued on. The Volvo price does include installation which may not be difficult for the glue on cheaper ones. You will have to decide whether the advantages are worth the extra cost to you within your budget. I personally am happy with the Volvo unit. Because I had it installed as part of my original order, it has the same warranty as the rest of the car - having it installed on the car later would give the usual warranty (12 months?) of post delivery accessories, not that I think there is much to go wrong with the unit. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Coastal...

I've been away 4 awhile(even forgot my password)... but I love the backup radar feature!

I drove a rental in Paris(Fiat Multipa)that had backup radar and I never had a problem parking in all those tight spaces. When I got back to the states & put a dink on my rear bumper(backing into the license plate screw of a Honda)... it was time to check out adding this to my Volvo. I know - real men don't need parking aids... but I really HATE getting my rear bumper all dinked up. I checked out the Volvo factory unit as a add-on but it would have cost about $800! Autotoys.com came highly recommended from another Volvo bulletin board. I went this route and it cost me $78 + s&h and took about 3 hours to install myself. Darell has my photos on his site posted above and it's also on - http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY_2000/Volvo_Backup_Sensor/volvo_backup_sensor.htm

It has audible beeps that increase as you get closer to an object as well as a female voice that says 8',5',3',2',12", & crash. Both have volume controls that can be easily adjusted by the user(no need to go to the dealer for tweaking). There are 2 small units that have 2 sensors apiece. If you the nerve and expertise(like my friend Darell)to drill into your bumper cover... you can counter sink the 2 sensors into the bumper, run the wiring from the inside & paint the sensor covers to match your body color for real custom install.
It works great and is as good if not better than the system on my neighbors 740il.

- Rob

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rob -

It's more expensive, but having a trailer hitch hanging off the rear bumper really protects it when you bash into other cars

Welcome back. We missed you.

- Darell

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that!

One question with respect to the aftermarket setup... I noticed in one of the pics at the retailer's site shows what looks like the radar's speaker sitting on the dash. Is it possible to hard wire the signal into the existing speakers, thereby eliminating the need for an extra dash accessory?!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Darell -
Yah... I would never take you on in a demolition derby

Coastal -
I mounted the control unit and the speaker inside the right hand access space, adjusted the volume up to 2/3, and still can hear the warnings with the radio on. I went this route to make for a clean and totally concealed install.

- Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rob,

The answer to this question may be in the box I'm waiting for from AutoToys but...

What did you use to secure the sensors and the wire runs to, and under, the bumper?

Thanks tons to you and Darell for all the help and ideas!

--Adam

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Hello all,

"The Puff" in the S60 forums said that it is costing $425 (painted & installed) to have the reversing radar put on the S60 by the dealer. The actual item costs $325. I wonder if the actual prices for the V70 is different. Just my 0.2 cents.

-Drew

·
Registered
528 Posts
Saabstory (love the screen name!) -

I'll let Rob answer officially, but I'll tell you what I do for loose wires and such:

If I know I'll be moving the wires at a later time, I use nylon twist wire holders that stick to anything with high-quality double stick foam tape. They look like little harps when they're open...they can be bought at any Radio Shack. I've used them for many years, and they even survive the heat of the engine compartment easily. Just clean the mounting surface with alcohol first, and you're set.

But if I'm putting something in semi-permanently, I'll use a dab of silicone to hold the wires in place. Great stuff. Adherese well, will never rattle off, and is very easy to cut away later to remove the wire.

There's my penny's worth of thought.

- Darell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts