SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be dropping my XC90 back at the shop this Saturday. I originally had it scheduled to go in on Monday to get the November updates installed and a few things looked that that I have mentioned in various posts.While taking my daughter to her doctor's appointment, the engine light came back on. As some of you have seen in my past posts, I had the engine light come on before my car had 500 miles on it. The dealership didn't do anything, but mentioned that software updates fixed it and the techs drove the car and the light didn't return back. Fast forward a but, car now has close to 2200 miles on it, the engine light is back.

I am having the dealership also check out the AC, Brakes (which just started to squeal and the odd feedback that is felt when braking), the fan that spins down after the car is turned off, the car shuttering when the car is turned off, and last but not least, the pop that you hear when you turn the car off.

Since tomorrow is Christmas Eve and the dealership being closed on Christmas, my car will be visiting the dealership on Saturday. I will keep you guys posted on all events. I also hope the dealership doesn't ding my car again.

I apologize, just needed a forum to express my frustrations. When all is good, this is an absolutely amazing car and a absolute joy to drive. However, it does me no good if the car spends more time in the shop. Does anyone have the contact information to VCNA? The number I got is 1-800-458-1552, is that correct?

·
Banned
763 Posts
That is frustrating. I hope you're logging all of these issues so you don't get the "that's the first time we've heard of it" response from the dealer if (when) the issues return.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am. I am keeping every paperwork they are giving me. They never told me the error code from the first time the light came on. The paperwork they gave me had a code on it (ECM-P001622), so I assume that is what it was.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I will be dropping my XC90 back at the shop this Saturday. I originally had it scheduled to go in on Monday to get the November updates installed and a few things looked that that I have mentioned in various posts.While taking my daughter to her doctor's appointment, the engine light came back on. As some of you have seen in my past posts, I had the engine light come on before my car had 500 miles on it. The dealership didn't do anything, but mentioned that software updates fixed it and the techs drove the car and the light didn't return back. Fast forward a but, car now has close to 2200 miles on it, the engine light is back.

I am having the dealership also check out the AC, Brakes (which just started to squeal and the odd feedback that is felt when braking), the fan that spins down after the car is turned off, the car shuttering when the car is turned off, and last but not least, the pop that you hear when you turn the car off.

Since tomorrow is Christmas Eve and the dealership being closed on Christmas, my car will be visiting the dealership on Saturday. I will keep you guys posted on all events. I also hope the dealership doesn't ding my car again.

I apologize, just needed a forum to express my frustrations. When all is good, this is an absolutely amazing car and a absolute joy to drive. However, it does me no good if the car spends more time in the shop. Does anyone have the contact information to VCNA? The number I got is 1-800-458-1552, is that correct?
This is three steps up from frustrating. My first advice is that there are a lot of Volvo people on this board and some may try to downplay your problems. or push you off taking things seriously and covering yourself completely. Those people are not here to help you. Just ignore them. This should not be happening.

My approach with VCNA was to chat first, get a transcript and case number, and the reply using the email I got and phone calls. I posted the chat link earlier in another thread but I could not find it online so it's either gone or my search is not turning it up. Here is the link to Volvo support with a phone number. There is a form to fill out but it has never helped me. http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/contact-us

If you can find, or someone can share, the Chat link, chat first and then call. You should have your summary typed out to post into a chat or read on the phone. That statement will be your official summary of your problems so include everything.

Be sure to mention unhappy, poor service, poor quality control, bad publicity and whatever terms you like and that VCNA is responsible for the SUV'warranty. Also be sure not to make it seem personal.

Don't expect any actual help at this stage. If it's a phone call the person may sound interested but will probably downplay things, and say it's the dealers responsibility, even ask for the dealer's name.

Be sure you get a the person's name, a case number and that you have the transcript of the chat or record from your carrier that you called along with a copy of your statement. At the least, you are on record and you have a case number. You may need to show that you started an official process.

Tell the dealer that you have to send them a certified letter even though you know it's VCNA's responsibility. Then send a professional letter certified mail outlining your concerns specifically mentioning everything you want done. Include everything that is or might be even the slightest problem. You don't want to alienate the dealer, so emphasize that you need this because of VCNA.

It's a pain but worth it at this stage. You have proof, which may important later on.

I don't know your dealer, but many dealers and many you will speak with at VCNA may not be competent. You have to give the dealer a chance to fix the problem and they should give you a loaner and comp reasonable fuel costs while your SUV is in the shop for a warranty repair.

The president of Volvo does not think much of Volvo service in the United States and you should not either.

Get an official list of things the dealer has worked on when you pick up the SUV. Hopefully things will be OK. But at the first sign of a problem take the SUV right back. That visit is when you probably have to apply real pressure. You have to emphasize with the dealer that you know is not their fault, but it is their responsibility. I believe that VCNA is under scrutiny from abnove and I sense a vcertain fear factor that may help you get a just result.

There are few good threads here from people who had to fight. I hope that does not happen to you, but these threads give a good idea of the process.

Good luck. My perception is that most problems get solved, although many do not. Unfortunately you have to cover yourself as though it was not going to be successfully resolved.

·
Banned
763 Posts
This is three steps up from frustrating. My first advice is that there are a lot of Volvo people on this board and some may try to downplay your problems. or push you off taking things seriously and covering yourself completely. Those people are not here to help you. Just ignore them. This should not be happening.

My approach with VCNA was to chat first, get a transcript and case number, and the reply using the email I got and phone calls. I posted the chat link earlier in another thread but I could not find it online so it's either gone or my search is not turning it up. Here is the link to Volvo support with a phone number. There is a form to fill out but it has never helped me. http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/contact-us

If you can find, or someone can share, the Chat link, chat first and then call. You should have your summary typed out to post into a chat or read on the phone. That statement will be your official summary of your problems so include everything.

Be sure to mention unhappy, poor service, poor quality control, bad publicity and whatever terms you like and that VCNA is responsible for the SUV'warranty. Also be sure not to make it seem personal.

Don't expect any actual help at this stage. If it's a phone call the person may sound interested but will probably downplay things, and say it's the dealers responsibility, even ask for the dealer's name.

Be sure you get a the person's name, a case number and that you have the transcript of the chat or record from your carrier that you called along with a copy of your statement. At the least, you are on record and you have a case number. You may need to show that you started an official process.

Tell the dealer that you have to send them a certified letter even though you know it's VCNA's responsibility. Then send a professional letter certified mail outlining your concerns specifically mentioning everything you want done. Include everything that is or might be even the slightest problem. You don't want to alienate the dealer, so emphasize that you need this because of VCNA.

It's a pain but worth it at this stage. You have proof, which may important later on.

I don't know your dealer, but many dealers and many you will speak with at VCNA may not be competent. You have to give the dealer a chance to fix the problem and they should give you a loaner and comp reasonable fuel costs while your SUV is in the shop for a warranty repair.

The president of Volvo does not think much of Volvo service in the United States and you should not either.

Get an official list of things the dealer has worked on when you pick up the SUV. Hopefully things will be OK. But at the first sign of a problem take the SUV right back. That visit is when you probably have to apply real pressure. You have to emphasize with the dealer that you know is not their fault, but it is their responsibility. I believe that VCNA is under scrutiny from abnove and I sense a vcertain fear factor that may help you get a just result.

There are few good threads here from people who had to fight. I hope that does not happen to you, but these threads give a good idea of the process.

Good luck. My perception is that most problems get solved, although many do not. Unfortunately you have to cover yourself as though it was not going to be successfully resolved.
Amazing advice. Definitely keep in mind the bolded parts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
excellent advise. I'm at this stage as well. Meeting with owner of my dealer in 3 hours. I will post my outcome afterwards.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thank you for the detailed advice. I will definitely do this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the weirdness continues. While I was driving today, the check engine light was on. Well, during my drive back on, the engine light went away. Well I called the dealership to let them know what is going on and have emailed the service director at the dealership. It is just odd that the computer would reset while I am driving. I am still taking the car back on Saturday, but just wanted to post an update.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So, the weirdness continues. While I was driving today, the check engine light was on. Well, during my drive back on, the engine light went away. Well I called the dealership to let them know what is going on and have emailed the service director at the dealership. It is just odd that the computer would reset while I am driving. I am still taking the car back on Saturday, but just wanted to post an update.
There is a pattern (many reports on this forum) of the computers acting in this sort of erratic manner, whether it be a check engine light or something else.

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the late post, with the holidays and all, I didn't get a chance to update everyone. So We got the car back 3 days after dropping it off at the dealership. Since the light went away, the dealership stated that they were not able to pull any codes that would have triggered the check engine light. In addition to that, I asked them about the fan spinning down after car was shut off, the AC compressor making an groaning sound, brakes squealing, the November Update, and the heat not kicking in at times. The mentioned that there was a technical journal out for the brakes and replaced the front disc pads, not the rotors. I believe most of the folks in this forum mentioned that the issue was with the rotors. More on this in a bit. All the rest, the dealership claimed is operating under manufacturer specs. I kind of find this hard to believe, but ok.

So I have been taking my car to a dealership close to me rather than where I bought my car. I decided to go to the dealership where I purchased the car about a few scratches I had on the hood and see if they could help me out and ended up speaking to one of the managers. He first apologized for all the issues I have been having with my car (through all my service visits, I had kept them in the loop and told them all the reasons why I needed to take the car to the shop) and told he me that if I have any other issue to reach out to him directly and he will make sure that I am taken care of. He hinted trading for another XC90. Not sure what he meant by that, but I am hoping for a swap, not an official trade since the car loses value as soon as you drive off the lot. As for the scratches, since this was just in the clear coat and you had to look at the right angle in the sunlight, he recommended that I go to a good detailer and they should be able to remove it.

Back to the brakes, so I have driven my car for about a week with no issues. However, yesterday, the brakes started to squeal again. I will likely call the dealership where I purchased my car and see what the manager has to offer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like the squealing is coming from the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts