SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! so I decided to switch back from ipd hd TCV(last gen) to stock. now, i noticed that under hard acceleration i seem to have pinging issues. what could possibly be the problem?TIA

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Toby, yeah i pulled a few fuses to reset the ecu then went on and drove for the adaptation. well, im hoping i did the adaptation right(did it at rush hour and too much traffic)..lol but yeah now the pinging problem..do u think the system will take time to learn? or could this be another problem?my oil level is fine just to eliminate oil pressure from it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Are you sure the lines are in the correct position?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure the lines are in the correct position?
Im pretty sure they are all in correct position. Also i noticed that when i have the AC on the car seems to have lost a lot of power.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Im pretty sure they are all in correct position. Also i noticed that when i have the AC on the car seems to have lost a lot of power.
That's the way AC works, it runs off power from the engine, so less power output is left going to the tranny.

Why not just put the IPD unit back in if it worked better for your car? Maybe your stock unit has enough miles on it that it is plugged up a little or worn out.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I don't know if this is your problem but you should do a hard reset by actually disconnecting the terminals from the baterry. Then touch the two loose battery terminal ends together for a moment to clear the memory. Reattach the battery terminals and follow the directions for the IPD TCV adaptation. The car will handle it anyways but the adaptation smoothes the learning curve.

You might have a worn out stock TCV or maybe hooked up wrong, left something else unplugged, etc....swap back to IPD and see if it goes away like others have said.

Stock tune? What's the boost gauge doing when this happens?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
my concern it that to NJ with stock tune it will be really hard to get some pinging(pre detonation), seems that something is loose there or wrong connected. If the TCV is not working fine it will allow a huge boost peak making a lot of noise.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the car is stock and i dont have a boost gauge. I will try and unplug the battery terminals later but is it possible to just remove the negative terminal and leave it unplugged for a while? Will that do a "hard reset"?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yes the car is stock and i dont have a boost gauge. I will try and unplug the battery terminals later but is it possible to just remove the negative terminal and leave it unplugged for a while? Will that do a "hard reset"?
What's keeping you from just removing both and doing it the correct way? The battery is in the trunk if you didn't know.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if this is your problem but you should do a hard reset by actually disconnecting the terminals from the baterry. Then touch the two loose battery terminal ends together for a moment to clear the memory. Reattach the battery terminals and follow the directions for the IPD TCV adaptation. The car will handle it anyways but the adaptation smoothes the learning curve.

You might have a worn out stock TCV or maybe hooked up wrong, left something else unplugged, etc....swap back to IPD and see if it goes away like others have said.

Stock tune? What's the boost gauge doing when this happens?
So i did what u said about the hard reset and i put the ipd tcv back on. Have to do the adaptation and will report back asap

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys so i did remove the battery terminals and went back to ipd tcv and viola!! Pinging is gone. Well, drove it hard and didnt hear the pinging. Now, im hoping that the ipd tcv will hold up as i bought it used.(and hope it wont do damage to my car). Anyways, does that mean that my stock tcv is toast? See the car was running fine with the stock tcv before i repaced it with the ipd one, and everytime i try the stock one just never felt the same. Anyways, im considering getting the phuzzy tcv cuz i heard people are liking it and its cheaper that the ipd ones. Anyhow i really appreciate all the help u guys have given me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uuugghhmm.... i know i said the pinging is gone but i may have spoken too soon!lol...could it be something else? would a bad axle cause that noise? i noticed the sound today as i was going uphill and the tranny downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and i have it a bit of gas and it made that noise.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot to mention that my dealer did an "update" for my ecm regarding fuel management or something. I didnt pay for anything so i figured why not. The part number for the software is 30677021. Could this be the culprit?? The thing is i didnt really noticed the ping or detonation right after they did the software. The only time i noticed it was when i was switching tcvs. Is our s60s equipped with knock sensors? Would that trigger the engine light to come on? Im starting to get worried that this could be a big problem.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oh man I thought I fixed it in time lol. Sorry about that. OP i hope someone helps you. I can't think of what the issue could be off hand.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh man I thought I fixed it in time lol. Sorry about that. OP i hope someone helps you. I can't think of what the issue could be off hand.
Lol no worries. I see u have issues of ur own to deal with too.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I am a bit confused as to what exactly your are experiencing...... is this ignition ping(knock, detonation,etc....) or an external sound your hearing?

How do you know it's "pinging"??

Yes two knock sensors, no CEL if minor as the ECU will pull timing, dump fuel, withhold boost, etc....to stop detonation, most of the time you wouldn't even know it was happening. If its bad enough to set a CEL you have something majorly wrong....

I think it might be worthwhile to take it to a dealer or qualified indy if you are this concerned yet not able to pinpoint the source......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts