SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to cover your back seat for the dog?

Brand?
Size?
Pics?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cage in the cargo area is best for your pet and your car. Or the divider they make to block your back seat from the cargo area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have tried 6 difference covers and at least 6 more crates.

Covers:
  • Canvasback. These are custom measured and made for each vehicle model (they already have the patterns for the XC40). You can buy different pieces to covering different parts of the vehicle as you need. I find their pieces to be too precise leaving gaps between pieces allowing dog hair (we have a golden retriever) to get between panel gaps (for example, you get two separate pieces for the 60/40 split rear seat, so hair can still get on stuck on the felt material). Also, their pieces are meant to velcro on the felt material and because most pieces in the trunk have plastic edges, their canvas prices don’t really cover each area edge to edge (thus leaving room for dog hair to get stuck). In the end, I returned all the pieces other than the two pieces that covered the side walls.
  • 4Knines SUV Cover. This is the cover we ended up choosing. In combination with the two side wall covers we kept from Canvasback, this combo gives us total coverage of the rear cargo area with the rear seats folded down. It has grippy underside so it doesn't slide around and the top side is made with tough nylon and it is very easy to wipe clean.
  • Other covers we tried, but ended up returning:

Crates:
  • EliteField 2-Door Soft Pet Playpen. This is the soft create we ended up choosing. The 36" width leaves about an inch on either side of the cargo area. See pictures below. One down side is that the top portion of the crate is not made with a mesh material. So it will block all but 2-3 in of your rear-view visibility.
  • I'm always on the lookout for better options and this may be the next options I try:
    • PrivacyPop Bug Tent. If you lay the infant size bug tent on its side, it fits really well in the cargo area. The advantage of this option over the EliteField is that it's all mesh so I don't have the visibility issue I do with the EliteField playpen.
    • I worry the mesh material PrivacyPop uses may be too thin and may rip easily so I'm exploring building a create on my own out of stronger material and sized to maximize the "living area" for our dog.
  • Ones we tried, but didn't work for us one way or another:

Misc:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow.. thanks for the pics.

I wish my dog would sit in the cargo area, but she needs to be close to use. She would get anxiety back there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow.. thanks for the pics.

I wish my dog would sit in the cargo area, but she needs to be close to use. She would get anxiety back there.
She would get more anxiety when she gets slammed against something if you have to brake for an emergency.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She would get more anxiety when she gets slammed against something if you have to brake for an emergency.

She wears a chest harness and clipped to the seat belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, obviously, there are the mounts for the cage divider behind the back seats.
But I've also see, the rear passenger coat hooks twist and come off to reveal the same divider mounts!
But the Volvo divider only comes halfway to the floor...?

·
Registered
207 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts