SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a couple years of being away from Volvo's, I'm back... And I'm already seriously questioning my decision. I picked up a 2007 V70R GT with just shy of 71k miles last night (I'm not the only driver, so I had to stick with an auto), after checking it out on the weekend and giving it a good once over.

On the test drive, as well as on my way home after picking it up, it was driving just fine. It was little dirty and needed gas, so I went to fill it up and give it a quick wash, but after I left the car wash, the transmission was shifting quite rough - both up and down and mostly between 1st/2nd, and 2nd/3rd. I had probably been driving it for 40 minutes or so before this happened, with a 20 minute stop in the middle. The transmission in my old Passat went last year and left me with a nasty repair bill, so now I'm incredibly paranoid and I'm afraid to drive the R. From the little bit of reading I've done today, it sounds like this isn't overly uncommon when it gets a little cooler outside (it was around 40 when this happened), but this is a little worrying since it isn't even winter yet, and I'll be driving it when it's -30C outside. Anyhow, I haven't registered the car yet, so I can't take it for a drive tonight, but I'll try to move it out of the garage and see if it does anything funny. It's headed to the dealership on Monday to get checked out, so I'm hoping it won't leave me with yet another painful repair bill. If it does, I think I might be selling this car instead of the Acura it was supposed to replace!

Anyhow, that's my rant for today. Wish me luck with it!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That was the one on Kijiji? The guy wanted like 16k or something iirc?

There was another one on there but it was manual. Both now sold it seems.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Then there's the one in Drayton Valley..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the one on Kijiji? The guy wanted like 16k or something iirc?

There was another one on there but it was manual. Both now sold it seems.
I don't think it was listed on Kijiji, or at least I didn't see it there... I found it listed on Autotrader for 16.5k. I got it for less since it needs a little bit of work, but it's mostly stuff that I should be able to take care of myself. I wish the transmission thing had come up on the test drive so that I could have talked him down a little more, but oh well. I'm trying to stay positive about things - hopefully a flush will take care of things and it will serve me well.

The one in Drayton Valley could be worth while for someone who has lots of room and time on their hands... I certainly wouldn't want to pay to get that one back in a decent drivable condition!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Well, look at the bright side, with the 07 auto you have the best of the bunch. Its not known for any catastrophic issues, so hopefully you don't have too much to worry about on this one.

I was under the impression that the controller valve issue with the 6 speeds was rectified before that year, but I'll let the auto guys who know more about the subject fill you in on the details.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Well, look at the bright side, with the 07 auto you have the best of the bunch. Its not known for any catastrophic issues, so hopefully you don't have too much to worry about on this one.

I was under the impression that the controller valve issue with the 6 speeds was rectified before that year, but I'll let the auto guys who know more about the subject fill you in on the details.
My understanding has always been this was an 06 GT issue. Specifically:

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

EDIT
Regarding TCM Updates:
TNN40-02-2007-12-18 Title: Engine, Auto Trans Controls - DEM and TCM Software Updates
Update for General Shift Quality on 2002-2007, 5 and 6 speed Automatic Transmissions.
The TNN defines TCM and DEM software Upgrades that are available to correct the complaints / symptoms listed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice looking car! Hopefully it's something simple like the software upgrade.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.
IOW, transmissions built starting in October of 2006 came with the corrected valve body. My caR was built in late January and its GT starts with 06L. So if the OP's VR was built before Nov or Dec of '06, that means that it was built with the problematic valve body.

If you want to be more specific, it's pretty easy to read the GT's SN; it's facing upward on the driver's side of the engine bay; just look down through the brake lines between the master cylinder and the intake air 'hose'.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I just went through this with my 06. A flush will cure it for a while. The shifts got so hard I was afraid to even accelerate very hard in first or second and I dreaded the down shift clunk. The solution was a Valve body kit install which was $600.00 for the kit and 4.2 hours labor. The difference is night and day. Only have a few miles on it but I took it out to the 1/2 mile race and ran it hard as well as some street driven and it's working a lot longer that the flush results. With flushing I had to do it before and after every race

·
3,958 Posts
Drain and fill! Drain and fill! Drain and fill! Use mobile atf , works great an is good on price in bulk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated! I'll definitely start out with a transmission flush and any software updates, then see what that does.

IOW, transmissions built starting in October of 2006 came with the corrected valve body. My caR was built in late January and its GT starts with 06L. So if the OP's VR was built before Nov or Dec of '06, that means that it was built with the problematic valve body.

If you want to be more specific, it's pretty easy to read the GT's SN; it's facing upward on the driver's side of the engine bay; just look down through the brake lines between the master cylinder and the intake air 'hose'.
I just had a quick look - my GT starts with 06C, so I could very well need a valve body in the future. I decided to take it for a quick spin around the block while I was outside though... It hasn't been started since it was acting up on Monday and it was about 50F in the garage, but the gear changes were perfectly smooth. Maybe I'll drive it today instead of the GTI and see how it cooperates.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I just had a quick look - my GT starts with 06C, so I could very well need a valve body in the future. I decided to take it for a quick spin around the block while I was outside though... It hasn't been started since it was acting up on Monday and it was about 50F in the garage, but the gear changes were perfectly smooth. Maybe I'll drive it today instead of the GTI and see how it cooperates.
Well that's a surprise! I was almost certain the throttle body issue was limited to 06 caRs, but apparently they still had early transmissions making it into 07s. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the issue, but sadly, unless the throttle body has been replaced previously, it's just a matter of time. I use the Geartronic function every time I drive the SR, so I am plagued less by the effects of the throttle body, but I have had the issue show itself in quite elaborate form twice. The most exciting time was when I put the transmission back into Drive to shoot up an on-ramp. Came off the ramp onto the highway and just as I finished the turn and buried the throttle, the transmission experienced a neutral condition. So there I was, in the middle of the highway, with a caR that could not move itself. Put the transmission back into Geartronic and slowly cycled through the gears until it finally found one. It was ridiculous.

"3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse." Yay!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well the previous owner gave me all of the service records for the car since it was new, so I'll have to take a closer look through those tonight and see what's been done. I hasn't given me the neutral condition yet, only that flare between 2nd and 3rd, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't.

I know the timing belt hasn't been done yet, so I'm going to get a quote for that when I take the car in. If they want to charge a ridiculous amount, then I'll have to find somewhere else to take it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A bit of an update (again)! I ran a couple of errands last night and took the VR - just like on Monday, it was fine for 30 minutes or so and then the transmission started acting up again, but not quite as bad this time. It seems strange to me that it's rough after it's up to temperature, but perfectly smooth when it's cold. :screwy:

I also flipped through the service records and couldn't find anything related to the throttle body, but I see that the previous owner experienced the rough shifting as well at one point. They had the transmission flushed and adaptation reset, so we'll see how that goes on Monday. I get the feeling I'll need to have the valve body replaced soon-ish.

On a side note, I was replacing a couple of burnt out bulbs last night, and holy crap is the front passenger side signal light ever a pain! I still haven't done that one - I need to figure out a way to get more leverage on it because I couldn't get it to turn.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just a side note for the "flare between 2nd and 3rd," there was a problem with the plastic cap breaking on the B4 servo, which then reduced tension on the finely calibrated spring and needle inside the housing. If a new cap was installed, the flare would go away. I know this was a big issue on T5's, and not sure if it affected R's or not, but worth a quick check. It's in the left wheel area, just Google it, or search Swedespeed. I know Mathew's Volvo Site had this topic spelled out as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
A bit of an update (again)! I ran a couple of errands last night and took the VR - just like on Monday, it was fine for 30 minutes or so and then the transmission started acting up again, but not quite as bad this time. It seems strange to me that it's rough after it's up to temperature, but perfectly smooth when it's cold. :screwy:

I also flipped through the service records and couldn't find anything related to the throttle body, but I see that the previous owner experienced the rough shifting as well at one point. They had the transmission flushed and adaptation reset, so we'll see how that goes on Monday. I get the feeling I'll need to have the valve body replaced soon-ish.

On a side note, I was replacing a couple of burnt out bulbs last night, and holy crap is the front passenger side signal light ever a pain! I still haven't done that one - I need to figure out a way to get more leverage on it because I couldn't get it to turn.
Have you tried driving it in the manual shift mode? If not, and you're willing, you can use this to stave off the need for the throttle body job (at least until you get tired of knowing it's an issue). It doesn't make the issue go away completely, but it makes it a lot less noticeable, or at least it has in my experience. YMMV

1 - 20 of 40 Posts