SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from a two week long Hawaii vacation (got engaged, thank you very much)
Stayed in Oahu, Maui and Kauai. On each leg of the trip we had a rental...I decided to have some fun and get something I wouldnt normally drive. Have you had any experience with any of these cars?

In Oahu we rented a 2012 Mustang Convertible V6 - very heavy, very slow, very cheaply made.
We averaged 19MPG which was very low. I felt like I was driving a train. Donuts, however, are confirmed!

Shot at 2012-07-31

In Maui we rented a 2012 Volvo C70 T5. What a fantastic car. I am really in love with that car, and if I were looking for a convertible, this would be on top of my list for a nice cruiser (sucks that it's FWD). The car feels very premium, the power is very adequate and the interior is simple but elegant. We averaged 24MPG, but only because I gunned it a few times...you can easily get 27 on the highway. The car made me to "the look back" every time I parked it somewhere....maybe it's the Volvo thing

Shot at 2012-07-31

Shot at 2012-07-31

Shot at 2012-07-31

Shot at 2012-07-31

in Kauai initially we rented a POS Ford Fiesta but after slicing the tire on a dirt road we exchanged it for a Subaru Forester...and this is where my life-changing event happend. Well, after riding a little crossover, I realized that this is the type of a car I will need/want next. I'm a very active person, and the ability of driving off-road, over bumps, dips etc just added to the excitement. And I simply love the rear-hatch wagon style. While Subaru is a great car, it is very cheaply made inside and it came with a 4, yes, 4 speed AT!!! I'd most likely go with a Volvo XC60 or the new Land Rover Evoque...but that's in 3-4 years I figure once I'm married and out of NYC. Until then my R will do :)

biggest POS...super cheap inside, very odd looking interior, but 44MPG!!!

Shot at 2012-07-31

25MPG average - not bad...but it was N/A. I'd love to see a diesel in it

Shot at 2012-07-31

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Congrats Tommy on the engagement! You better squeeze in all the stuff you want to do on the R before the big day, it changes everything :)

The c70 is definitely nice, I just wish that thing had more power and is at least AWD.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
^^Congrats! Pics look great, I really like vacationing in Hawaii too - Didn't get engaged there, but we did spend our first anniversary on Maui, curiously our daughter was born 9 months later. :p

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hehe thanks fellas. I'm very excited about it.
Luckily my lady supports my car love, but yes...once family comes I know I'll have to be more conservative etc... :)
BTW, you like how I includded a passing V70 in the shot?! hehe

Anyways...this is how it happened, for those of you who are curious :) Thanks GoPro for your ability to be hidden in tiny places!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The wife and I did some driving in Hawaii a few years ago (1019 miles total). I was ready for lots of driving. We picked up a Mustang convertible on the Big Island. I was excited as I pulled my radar detector out then my XM Roady. Found out only the Radar was going to work. Glad we grabbed some Cd for the plane ride.

After circumnavigation the Big Island it was off to Oahu, to do the same. That was fun traveling in a Beneteu 37 and we got bit with the sailing bug

I do recognize that turn out on Maui, as we travel the whole island, in a Chevy cobalt. VERY plastic car, but we did have a fun drive . We even got do the bike peddled smoothie an a complete drive around the island and up to the volcano.

You picture have brought back memories of a fun place

Congratulations on the engagement, and a fantastic shot to remember it with

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Congrats man!

Sounds like you and lady enjoyed it!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Anyways...this is how it happened, for those of you who are curious :) Thanks GoPro for your ability to be hidden in tiny places!
Congrats!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I love the looks of the C70 as well. Didn't like the refreshed front at first (I loved the old nosed C30/S40/C70) but it's growing on me. Again, shame about the FWD.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Congrats Tommy on the engagement! You better squeeze in all the stuff you want to do on the R before the big day, it changes everything :)

The c70 is definitely nice, I just wish that thing had more power and is at least AWD.
K24
Exhaust
Tune

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Congrats Tommy! Now you can just us married folk in the suburbs with matching Volvo's! hehe We'll get XC70 T6 w/Polestar Tune's :cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congratulations... Make sure when you put the ring on you get Rolex in exhange:D

Told that to my wife and she was like ya ok:mad:

So always have a side stash of cash, just in case you wanna spank dat ass!:eek:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Congratulations Tomek!!!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Congrats Tommy!

Are you talking without having a clue, again? You can't install a K24 in the C70 without significant and custom work.
I didn't say you would or wouldn't have to. I only said three things that would make it faster :)

Why do you have to over analyze things? It was somewhat sarcastic anyway.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Congratz Tommy, well done on all fronts!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
He's a hater dude

·
Registered
351 Posts
How was the C70 handling-wise? I've heard it's rather soft and flimsy (like most convertibles are).

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys - I appreciate all the wishes.

the C70 was surprisingly nice to drive, and I didn't get the idea of it being too floaty. One terrible thing (aside from FWD and AT) was the fact that when the roof was down, then the trunk had almost no space in it and you can forget about retreiving any items from the trunk with the roof down

·
Registered
386 Posts
for my 2 weeks in maui we had a 2009 mustang vert V6. I can confirm a gas hog, and a bit like driving a sail boat. But, the short wheel base came in handy driving the north end around kapalua, and all the way around the road to hana. the last few miles are less than a dirt road and I had no issues in the stang.

Having a vert is fun on vacation, but i would not want one as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts