SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the forums for a long time. I'm thinking about trading my 2006 S40i in for the S60 AWD. My spouse is trying to get me to go with the Ford Fusion Titanium AWD. Her theory is that it is cheaper and has a ton of electronic goodies. Yes, I could match the goodies on the Volvo, but I can't afford them. I'm giving her the less is more argument.

My argument is I'd rather have less goodies and a high quality Volvo. I'm just thinking that at the end of 5 or 6 years the Volvo is going to hold up better than the Ford. I know this is a pro Volvo site, but I'd like to make my spouse feel better about the Volvo.

It seems every car maker today has a long warranty and and is claiming great safety features. Oh, the Ford has a 2.0 Turbo that seems to put out similar power specs to the S60 T5.

It is good to be back.:)

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
I would use the safety argument. The S60 just finished at the top of the latest ratings that just came out a few weeks ago. What spouse wouldn't want their better half in a safer car?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I've never had an accident in my S40i, but like most people I've had close calls. In immediate retrospect I thought I was fortunate to have a Volvo.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I believe I heard on the radio recently that quality has dropped off considerably on Ford products. I bet you are correct about a higher residual value with a Volvo. I'd consider an OSD too!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
You really can't lose with either one. That said, I read a lot about cars here's my 2 cents.

The Ford Fusion is #1 in quality rating for it's class for 2012 over #2 Mitsubishi and #3 Toyota according to J.D. Power. Another ranking by overall car manufacturer had Ford in the middle of the "above industry standards" averages and our Volvos were the first car maker rated just below (outside) industry quality averages.

And our Volvos still has some of the Ford electronics so with a few exceptions of Volvo safety items, you're likely getting the similar technology under a different name...per a report on on the S60 by (I think) AutoTrader.com.

BTW, "she" usually wins on joint decisions so your tactic of "selling" the Volvo is truly the smart way to go, in my humble opinion.

For what it's worth. Good luck!

·
Registered
989 Posts
And after some research on another site...JD Power does show Ford well below Volvo on quality, both being below the average (bad) for insdustry standards. Guess it depends on what items are measured by different polling entities.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
The Fusion probably has a spare tire........which is safer.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
My wife wanted a slew of different makes and models, and actually didn't want to get a Volvo, because that would have mean "I Won!" But at the end of the day she admitted to feeling safer behind the wheel of the S60 than she did in the 328xi, C300 and IS250. In the end she got a 2013 S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus; only option she would have liked was Navigation, but it was out of our budget to get the Platinum trim, but in the end she has a really nice Garmin unit I got her last year.

Ford Fusion Titanium 2.0t AWD
Base Price: $32,995
Optioned like a S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus: $34,890

Volvo S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus (Climate/AWD pkgs)
Base Price: $38,845 (w/o Njord wheels or Metallic Paint)

We were able to get one out the door with all taxes and fees for just under $35,000.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've been visiting Canada for the past week and have a Ford Fusion AWD rental (with aroud 10kmiles on it - which surprisingly, was very well spec-ed).
IMO the build quality does not compare to my S60 T6 by a long shot... The, seats are a lot more comfortable and I like the driving position better.
The slush box is more slow to react to your input, especially in manual mode.
For the cornering I didn't really manage to do a proper test but it seems to be "less composed" than mine. (I do miss the 4C though)
I may be biased, of course - but that's my opinion :)

Oh, and the average HWY + City was around 9-10l/100km (which is about the same as mine).

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Fusion just got an IIHS top safety pick, so that safe argument is out the window. Let's face it, Volvo taught Ford how to build safer cars.

The Fusion also looks great, nice that Ford could rip off Austin for a personality.

Ford's lowered quality ratings supposedly come from the poor user interface of the Sync system, I don't think you can condemn the whole car based on that. The Sensus isn't a great UI either.

That said, you need to drive both of them back to back. There are a couple things the S60 has going for it. Most comfortable seats. It's not a belly button car like the Optima has become and the Fusion will become. An available T6. Generally, a better dealership experience. OSD if you are so inclined. There are a couple reasons for not going with the Fusion. Slow. Sync. New model year. Most big American dealerships suck.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Fusion also looks great, nice that Ford could rip off Austin for a personality.

Most big American dealerships suck.
These two quips made me laugh out loud. And the second one rings so true.

Wow, how my dealership and sales team bent over backwards to make my customer experience #1. Absolutely the best and even through it's indirectly added in as part of the overall sales price of Volvos (time of sales people, etc.), IMO it's very well worth it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
These two quips made me laugh out loud. And the second one rings so true.

Wow, how my dealership and sales team bent over backwards to make my customer experience #1. Absolutely the best and even through it's indirectly added in as part of the overall sales price of Volvos (time of sales people, etc.), IMO it's very well worth it.
+1

·
Registered
695 Posts
Lets face it, IIHS doesn't test all safety features. Two models with the same score are not just as safe. IIHS keeps improving their tests, which has shown time and again Volvo is not just building to the test. Others do just enough to pass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are coming from an S40 and liked it I can't see you being happy with the Ford. Volvo has a lot of intangible positive aspects in addition to the measurable ones mentioned above. Seems like it would be hard to go back to something else. I think the S60 is one of the best Volvos in a while. It has a substantial feeling like typical Volvos while also being sporty and with decent handling. Very comfortable, reasonable gas mileage, unique, solid, great looking. No comparison!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ford Fusion Titanium is no good, due to the fact that you're paying so much for a midsize car when you can spend a bit more and get a luxury car like the Volvo. The most I'd pay for a Fusion is roughly $30k. Plus, Ford My Touch/Sync sucks!!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Look, I'm not a negative of Ford but I will state that you NEVER buy a first model year Ford. EVER. Ford's quality/reliability ratings dropped like no other after the introduction of the Escape and Ford's Sync system gets bad reviews. It's an attractive car no doubt, and probably equally cramped inside due to both cars being very "swoopy". Bottom line is that Volvos have never been more unreliable than Fords. Ever (unless you have a first gen S80... :facepalm:).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Saw a new car on my way to work today, immediately thought "oh, what a nice looking Subaru". It was the new X1.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
can anyone confirm if the Heico S60 body kit definitely fits on an R-design bumper?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the S60 T5 Premiere. However a couple of features or lack thereof send me back to these forums.

1. Why doesn't Volvo use auto on and off headlights? This feature on my spouses 2013 Mustang works fairly well.

2. No voice dial on the Premier package??? I like the handsfree Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. Scrolling through hundreds of contacts on the LCD screen, or digging out the phone seems counterintuitive for a"handsfree" system.

3. The mirror tilt when I put the car in reverse feature puzzles me a bit. Is this helpful? Can I adjust the mirrors while in reverse so I see what I want to see, or do they just tilt so many degrees using the in drive position of the mirrors as the base view.

4. I see I can bring up KPH instead of MPH in the instrument cluster. I assume this is for driving in Canada. If so the readout should be larger. I wouldn't even mind a large MPH digital reading.

5. Does anyone know if the Polestar software upgrade would be available for a 2013 AWD T5?

I'm truly enjoying the car. Volvo gets a lot of things right. I'm also finding their design philosophy truly good.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts