SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You may remember our bad experience with this car and the leaking oil cooler: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?131832-Engine-Oil-in-coolant-....-2004-T-5 ... the coolant cap is still loose. If the next Blackstone oil test shows the crankcase is finally clear of coolant, I will give the cooling system a final cleaning, replace the stained plastic reservoir bottle ... and, finally, close the reservoir cap. (Cheering heard in background!). Leaving the cap loose for approx 90k miles has not seemed to caused any great grief ... except for some readers!

Neighbor continues to drive the vehicle almost daily ... I have helped with leaking oil cooler, brakes, parking brakes, replaced diagnostic pump, replaced failed ignition coil, ... this lists about all the serious maintenance for her 100k miles of ownership ... so it has served her fairly well. (Except for being a tire-eater!)

But now, I am doing the very-overdue task of replacing the cam-belt. Being replaced for first time at 145k miles! Yeah, I know that's criminal, but she and I have had many unplanned interruptions to our "good intentions"! She has bought all Volvo replacement parts ... belt, tensioner, idler roller, coolant pump (I would not consider passing up the chance to replace this well-used pump!)

There is included in the kit, a little service (metal foil) sticker that is to be placed under hood showing the mileage and date of service. QUESTION: Obviously this sticker needs to be easy to see and find, and there are many places that suit that requirement .... but is there a spot that seems to the be "agreed-on spot" that the mechanics have used??.....many thanks for a good answer based on experience.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Usually on the airbox, on my XC70 I placed it on the box that covers the computer near the coolant/powersteering reservoir.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Moving along, but slowly ... I've had the car in my backyard for nearly a month now. Too many distractions. But I have finished the cam belt and associated devices, and the serpertine belt and tensioner. Spark plugs. Also I've flushed coolant and cleaned reservoir. Then I decided to tackle the PCV system. What a can of worms Volvo gave us in this thing! I've replaced some broken stopped up hoses, and soaked and cleaned the demist cannister. I've cleaned the butterfly and throttle body ... and I have found a mystery:

Question: Why is the hose-elbow, the one that leads air into the cooler, (approx 3" dia x 14" long)....so gunky, both inside and out? I did not notice this sort of dry tarry build up in any of the other pipes. Is the cooler full or this stuff? Wish I had time to remove the cooler and give it a cleaning .... but the dear missus has had about enough of this project!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts