SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if I’m posting too many questions, I have yet another and hope one of you knowledge guys have some good advice.
The short of it is, I have some bent valves, and have removed my cylinder head. My thinking is if I’m going to remove the top end of the engine, I want to do something that will give me more power. Not so much to shorten the life of the engine, or sacrifice drivability, but I do want a noticeable difference. These are my thoughts, I would appreciate some feedback.

I read that installing an “R” cylinder head will give a boost in power. If so, what year and model R head would be a
Direct bolt on?
My engine is a B5234t3, vin, if it matters., is
Yv1nk53d7xj006975.
Alternatively, IF I can’t find an R head, can have a performance machine do some work on the head and or intake for a performance gain?
The exhaust manifold closely matches the exhaust ports of the head, but not so much on the intake. Intake ports are smaller than the ports on the head.
There are also rectangular tabs that protrude from the ceiling of the intake runner ( visible from the end that mates to the head) and appear to slow the flow between the intake and the head.
I’d like to think those tabs are there for a reason. Does anybody know their purpose? Low end performance??
Like I said, any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
17,470 Posts
R head will bolt on. But that’s about it. You’ll need a way to delete or lock the vvt or the cams will flop around or go fully advanced depending while the engine runs. The N Intake manifold has to be port matched to the RN head.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It's my opinion that modding the engine is a waste of money on these. You can make more power than you can use on stock internals just by standard external mods. (intake, exhaust, intercooler, turbo, tune, injectors). It's a heavy FWD car and can be made sorta quick but never truly fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts